Author Topic: How To Get Fallout 3 Working On A 64-bit Win7 System  (Read 2897 times)

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
How To Get Fallout 3 Working On A 64-bit Win7 System
« on: March 25, 2014, 01:53:15 PM »
These instructions will help you in your quest to get Fallout 3 working on a 64-bit Win 7 system; I haven't tried them myself just yet, but I have confidence that they will work splendidly.

1. Acquire a shotgun.

2. Place barrel in mouth, snugging it right up against those tonsils. (Or where you imagine they might be located, if you had them removed previously.)

3. Pull trigger.

4. Say hello to Jesus. (Or whichever supernatural entity greets you with a warm welcome.)
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
Re: How To Get Fallout 3 Working On A 64-bit Win7 System
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 08:09:03 AM »
That would solve all the problems at once, not just Fallout 3  :lol: Or that may start a whole new set of problems (who knows what is beyond... if beyond there is).

Anyway, F3 works fine on my Win7 64 bits (quitting crash excepted but that one also happened on XP) but I'm using the Steam GOTY version. I never tried to install the retail one. I'm also using an ATI card which may be a factor... or not (these days it seems that AMD became as lousy on the drivers development side as NVidia)

And if you're using the retail version there's also the fact that GFWL is no more. So that may pose a problem too.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 08:14:32 AM by Starfox »

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 01:24:21 AM »
As I have the horrible suspicion that the afterlife -- should one exist -- will possibly be far more complicated and terrible than this one, I decided that I'm in no real hurry to end it all, no matter how much Bethesda pisses me off.  :lol:

I'm using the Steam GOTY version, but I'm still having a hell of a time with it. I tried just about everything (.ini core-reducing tweaks, XP compatibility, animal sacrifice, etc.) and it works for a while, but it just has this strange tendency to lock up at random. It may be that it doesn't like my sound card; it may be that I have an Nvidia card; it may be that I've angered the gods by not sacrificing a big enough goat (these things happen).

There's a way to keep the game from checking in with the non-existent GFWL completely, and that helped, but the crashes continue. So there must be something I'm missing. I've disabled letting Steam update the game, disabled the stupid Steam overlay crap, lowered the AA settings...I'm still working on it. It's proven to be an interesting conundrum, anyway.

And I still wasn't sure that it isn't just a mod...perhaps even MY mods!...but it all worked perfectly (mostly) under XP, so...well. It's okay, I'm not worried about it, because there is a solution: virtual machine. Yes, indeed. I'm having my tech guy set one up soon, due to problems with several other progs not liking 7 either. So we'll see if that does the trick. I'm guessing it won't, not entirely, but it should be better than what I'm dealing with now.

Could be worse, though: I could be trying to get it to work with Win 8.  :ss-fan

On the bright side, I've heard that FNV has no problems whatsoever with 7. :ss-sparkly
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 10:04:42 AM »
OK, now that you mentioned it I had some problems several months ago with the game freezing every 10-15 minutes (I completely forgot about that, must be the beginning of the end   :hammerhead: ), often in interior cells. That had to do with the fact that F3 has problem to cope with CPU with more than two cores on 64 bits systems.  In my case that was solved by adding a line in fallout3.ini:

iNumHWThreads=2

Which tells F3 to only use two cores. This line normally is already present in FNV I believe which may explain why the problem doesn't exist.

Best is to modify both Fallout3.ini, the one in the game folder and the one in My Documents  folder to make sure the game will apply changes.

Some users also recommend to modify another line:

bUseThreadedAI=0

putting 1 instead of 0 but it was unnecessary for me (I just checked and this line is still at 0).

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 09:51:16 AM »
Reducing the number of cores worked to get me past the main menu (and avoided most random crashes, apparently :lol:), and installing the K-Lite codec pack helped (probably), but...it seems that no one has ever had problems with the terminal unlocking mini-game, as that's the only real problem I have now.

Oh, and changing my eye color more than once in chargen crashes the game, but that's not something I do often. ::)

Anyway, the deal with the terminals is this: if I take too long (how long? I don't know!) to bypass security, it will crash. But not all the time. It's a RANDOM thing. :ss-disbelief  This bites, since password-guessing was possibly my favorite part of the game itself. But at least the danger of a potential crash has caused me to stop making it a leisurely casual game and get through it quickly.

BTW, terminals with information -- terminals that don't need hacking, I mean -- aren't a crash risk.

I guess it's just one of those stupid bugs/quirks that show up for a handful of people. I can live with it.

That leads me to...

The Five Stages Of Grief: The Wasteland Edition

Stage One: Denial - This can't be happening. These things are supposed to work better when you upgrade your system, right?? THIS ISN'T HAPPENING!

Stage Two: Anger - I'm going to toss out a body every hour on the hour unltil Bethesda patches this thing!

Stage Three: Bargaining - Okay, screw the patch. I'll settle for a million dollars in quarters and ones, a lovely home in Hawaii not too close to the volcanoes, and one of the new Challengers, in black. Otherwise, EVERYBODY DIES.

Stage Four: Depression - This thing won't work. No one in the history of the world has ever suffered as much as I have. There's no point to living anymore. Oh...sweet, sweet death. Paraphrasing Steve Hackett:

To taste the sweetness of the grave
and not regret that I turned off autosave

Stage Five: Acceptance - Huh. You know, I could just unlock the terminals with the console...

:hitthefan:

And here's something else to throw on the pile: FRAPS doesn't work with FO3. That means I have to use the...no, no, no please god NO...the Print Screen key to take screenshots!  :biglaugh:

I've been taking the opportunity to look at my mods a bit more closely...the race mod, specifically. I'd had trouble before, regarding the problem with rapidly-regenerating limbs in connection with getting the bonus objective (cripple a limb or two) from Moira's get-seriously-injured quest.

Okay, in detail: with the first Xi'an perk, your limbs regenerate; this made it impossible -- at least, without script-fu -- to fulfill the bonus objective (break something important). This shouldn't really be a big deal, as the reward was some extra xp (I think) and a rad suit. But it bugged the hell out of me, and I think I finally fixed it. I just had to let some things go.

So. I removed the limb regen from the first Xi'an perk, but I left in head and chest regen. I moved the limb regen to the second Xi'an perk (and I also removed the +10 bonus to every skill. I mean...why did I have that in there in the first place??), so should I want to play through Moira's quests -- and who doesn't? -- all I have to do is hold off on the second perk.

Thinking about it, I should probably have made that a two or three tier perk, instead of two separate perks...huh. I could do that...

Almost forgot the gratuitous screenshot WHICH I HAD TO USE PRINT SCREEN TO GET:

Is anyone else tired of jet black armor and jet black weapons and jet black hair? I know *I* am. :P
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 09:58:55 AM by Silver Sorrow »

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 01:52:37 PM »
After experiencing crash after crash after crash trying to exit the metro that's close to Rivet City (that is, exiting TO Rivet City), I reflected upon the Unofficial Patch. There have been issues reported that the Patch does, in fact, turn the game into dead space on your hard drive whenever you get around Rivet City/Jefferson Memorial; there's even a fix for the patch, which -- what a shock -- does not work for me. Why the original author of the Patch doesn't fix the stupid thing is beyond me...well, it would be, if I weren't an unwilling observer of humanity.

Anyway. Disabling the Patch before exiting to the Rivet City world worked nicely. Curiously, I never really figured out exactly what the Patch was supposed to fix. I guess I could've downloaded the changelog and wasted time blearily staring at incomprehensible statements about misplaced rocks being fixed, but I have far more respect for myself than that. So this led to yet another of those Q & A sessions I host in my head.

Q: What does the Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch do, exactly?

A: It crashes your game.

I guess that puts the cork in this one.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 07:20:05 PM »
I never used the unofficial patch. Guess that explains why I didn't have a problem other than the common "above two cores" thing. In fact Fallout 3 exhibit less problems on Seven than it did on Vista. On Vista I remember I was forced not only to set the compatibility to XP SP3 but also to deactivate the desktop fancy thingies (mainly sidebar gadgets and themes) or the gadgets would unexpectedly show up within the game (quite distracting). On seven I don't even have the XP compatibility on.

And I don't know what the patch is supposed to fix either. If it's anything like Oblivion, I remember that there was misaligned textures corrected, trees and rocks that were floating above the ground, that kind of thing. Anyway the problem with unofficial patches is that they're just that... unofficial. Meaning, quite untested and while they may fix some things there's a chance they break some others.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 11:10:08 AM »
The unofficial patches (for any of the Bethesda games) are more trouble than they're worth. I think they're designed for the severe OCD players; you know, the people who see a rock floating in midair and then have to compensate by ritually punching themselves in the head while bitching about "all those bugs that TOTALLY ruined the game for me!" on various forums.

Inevitably, someone will utter the phrase (or a variant of) "immersion-breaking" and then I have to hunt them down and kill them.

Incidentally, I think I finally found the ultimate cause of my crashes: HSSrv.dll

Apparently, this is an ASUS driver, meant to replicate EAX. It crashes a great many games. I disabled it. So far, no crashes.

Almost every time FO3 crashed, it would cause an ungoldy sound...I kept saying to myself that it HAD to be audio-related, but I kept ignoring that voice. It finally [metaphorically] whacked me in the back of the head and pointed out that if none of the supposed fixes (besides the core fix) worked, then maybe, just maybe, it had to have something to do with my sound card. You know, due to all the weird sounds the game would make upon crashing.

I haven't been able to test whether or not I can mess around with locked terminals yet, but I foresee...nothing certain thus far, but the entrails (so to speak) are auspicious. When I can confirm that the problem is solved, them maybe I'll turn antialiasing back on. Or not. I really don't see much of a difference either way. ::)

I was in such a positively festive mood that I fixed my combat armor. It isn't pitch-black and shiny anymore.

Yay.

EDIT: for comparison's sake, this was the original:

I often ask myself "what in the world was I thinking??" This was one of those times.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 11:15:15 AM by Silver Sorrow »

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 01:29:13 AM »
Okay, so I made the metal bits slightly shiny again. Slightly, mind you.

I don't know why I did this.

Anna May Wong as Dr. Li? Well, I did switch antihistamines. That explains my actions, sort of. (Only *one* dose in a 24-hour period? Madness!) But I did have the wherewithal -- unless that isn't a real thing -- to censor Sofia on the left, there. Because in a cultural landscape littered with zombies tearing people limb from limb and gruesomely graphic police procedurals, there's nothing that frightens the American public more than a woman's nipple.

ANYWAY. The trouble was indeed that jolly little bastard, my sound card. Disabled GX (or whatever. it was days ago. i'm surprised i still remember it.) and I can play the terminal mini-game at leisure.

Dream big, I always say.

everything