Author Topic: E3 2014  (Read 1780 times)

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
E3 2014
« on: June 10, 2014, 10:54:14 AM »
In honor of last year's post (we should probably revisit that...), what games are you interested in from this year's E3?  From what I've seen so far (and excluding, for now, games I mentioned last year)...

Games I'm In All Likelihood Getting:
Batman: Arkham Knight
Grim Fandango Remastered
Assassin's Creed: Unity

Games I'm Considering:
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
The Order: 1886
Alien: Isolation
Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Honorable Mentions:
Evolve
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

*EDIT*

Late Additions:
Doom 4
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
Bloodborne
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 03:11:07 PM by Doc_Brown »
Roads?  Where we're going we don't need roads.

Offline bobdog

• Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Re: E3 2014
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 11:19:11 PM »
Alien Isolation is my hottest title and everything I've seen strikes me as pretty spectacular gameplay in the horror genre. I'm also up for AC Unity and Shadow of Mordor. The rest I'm ho-hum about, although I'm sure I'll get Arkham Knight at some point.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 06:27:06 AM »
Right now? The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. But that's possibly me being biased  :lol:

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 11:48:26 PM »
Once E3 is officially wrapped up, I'll go into detail on the games I listed above.  In the meantime, let me double back to last year's list for some follow up thoughts...

Games I've Since Played:
Batman: Arkham Origins
Disappointing.  Everything this game does well it cribbed from Arkham City, and since AC did it first that just makes AO redundant.  The few new things it does add, meanwhile, just aren't great additions.

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
The third AC game to join my library (after the original and Brotherhood).  It feels like a natural extension of the latter, where instead of taking out Borgia towers and recruiting assassins to send on missions, you're taking out forts with your ship, recruiting a fleet, and sending them on missions.  Too bad you can't call on them to aid you in battle a la Brotherhood...

The Last of Us
I had heard such great things about this game, I love the zombie genre, and Naughty Dog has a quality track record... but I still think this isn't a very good game.  The *story* is phenomal--writing, directing, acting--and I look forward to the movie adaptation that's in the works.  But the gameplay is subpar.  I am literally replaying Uncharted 2: Among Thieves right now in direct response to my disapointment with TLOU; I may have had problems reconciling that game's story and its gameplay, but at least it was fun.

Games I Still Need To Play:
Watch_Dogs
I'm holding off on picking up a PS4 until I run out of other games to play.  When I do finally get one, I'd like to give Watch_Dogs a try.  I don't have a GTA-style sandbox game in my collection, so WD could scratch that itch.

inFamous: Second Son
I really liked both of the previous inFamous games, although the first moreso than the second.  The original inFamous gave you a suite of powers at your fingertips, but the sequel never figured out how to give you more powers and still keep it all accessible.  Second Son looks to get around this by limiting your power set to whatever energy source you just siphoned up.

Thief
Steam's summer sale is just a month away, so when Thief's price drops dramatically I'll finally take the plunge.  QuickView to follow.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
At last year's E3, Ground Zeros and The Phantom Pain were still thought to be a sort of package deal.  Now that they're separate, I'm honestly more interested in GZ.  Although it's decried as a $40 demo, I can't help but think of Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty.  That game famously featured a demo that, although part of the full game, was the only actually good part of said game. 

Games I Don't Plan On Playing:
Murdered: Soul Suspect
When the first previews for this game came out, it looked like it had potential--provided it let you actually play detective rather than just lead you in a straight line through its cases.  Now that it's out, the reviews are pretty scathing, and it's become pretty obvious there's little actual detective work involved.  Pity.

Dead Rising 3
Now that it's coming to PC I suppose I could give this a shot, but Dead Rising 3 interested me because of its seemingly large world and more serious tone (compared to previous Dead Rising games).  Wrong on both fronts, I see...

Rain
Like I said before, an interesting game but I generally don't go in for these short, download-only titles.  I prefer games with a little more... substance to them.

Games That Still Aren't Out Yet:
Dying Light
Still taking a wait-and-see approach on this one.  It looks promising, but so did Dead Island and that turned out to be, IMO, crap...

Mirror's Edge 2
Wait, this is still in the prototyping stage?!  I would have thought a game that began development more than a year ago would be further along by now.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Still very hopeful for this one... but still very worried.  I want to like the Witcher games, but I'm just not sure they're designed for someone of my tastes.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
The problem with MGS games is that they just go on and on and on with such metaphysical nonsense most of the time.  It's a shame because they're fairly decent stealth games, and when they focus on the more grounded aspects--the titular Metal Gears themselves, and by extension the threat of nuclear war--they're actually quite compelling stories.  While Ground Zeroes is said to be the most realistic/least chatty thus far, the previews for The Phantom Pain have me, well, cringing.  Very leery of how this one's going to turn out.

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 10:11:14 PM »
A wild double-post appears!

As promised, here are some more in depth thoughts on the games that caught my eye at this year's E3...

Batman: Arkham Knight
I was never a big fan of the original Batman: Arkham Asylum, but the one part I loved was Scarecrow and his hallucinations.  His absence was noticeably felt in the following games, what with the Mad Hatter and Ra's al Ghul filling a similar (but less effective) role.  Combine that character with the gameplay I loved from Batman: Arkham City and the expected eighth-gen graphics, and you've pretty much got a sure-fire thing on your hands... even if I do have some concerns about it (never figured the Batmobile would be less about high-speed pursuit than gunplay, even if it is using non-lethal rounds).

Grim Fandango Remastered
Hands-down the surprise of the show for me.  You may recall (we should probably revisit that thread, too, sometime) that Grim Fandango is one of my favorite games of all time.  Although I still own it, it can be difficult to get running properly on modern systems, the controls work better on a gamepad (the PC version uses the keypad rather than the classic point-and-click mouse interface), and I've always felt it just fits better as a console title (all of my other PC games are first person; all of my console games are third person).  While I fully expect it to be released as a download-only title, I'm willing to make an exception in this case; of course, I'll just keep the PC version and move its case over to the console side of the rack.

Assassin's Creed: Unity
Back before Assassin's Creed III was revealed, I knew the game was going to be set during the 18th century and figured the French Revolution would be the setting.  I was wrong, of course (I didn't anticipate they'd revamp the parkour to work in trees, otherwise the American Revolution would have been more obvious), but I'm thrilled to see the series is finally headed there.  The graphics look amazing, and I'm inordinately pleased they're taking it back toward the feel of the original game (it may have its detractors, but it's hard to deny it was the most concerned with, y'know, assassinations).

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
Although the departure of Amy Hennig troubles me (fast fact: I consider her a role model), the subtitle alone makes me more interested in Uncharted 4 than I'd otherwise be.  Naughty Dog seems to be following a particular naming trend here, with the odd-numbered games referencing Drake (Drake's Fortune and Drake's Deception) while the even-numbered games reference thieves/thief's.  Considering I didn't care for the first or third games but enjoyed the second, I'm hoping that's an indication of the direction they're going with it.

The Order: 1886 and Bloodborne
I'm not sold on either one of these games yet, but I am a fan of the whole dark/Gothic/Victorian/steampunk aesthetic.  So they've got that going for them, if nothing else.

Alien: Isolation
I've been keeping an eye on this particular branch of horror gaming, waiting for one to finally draw me in.  Penumbra, Amnesia, and Outlast have all come close, but none have quite been able to bring it all together.  Maybe Isolation is what I've been waiting for.

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor
All very promising, but I'm skeptical if they'll actually be able to pull off some of the things they're claiming (at least as well as they're claiming).  That, and the fact that it seems to be blatantly cribbing elements from other titles, has me less enthusiastic than I might otherwise be.  It doesn't help that I'm a little Middle-Earthed out at this point, either.  I mean, at least show us something different from the films and other games, y'know?  The Blue Wizards in the East, maybe?

Evolve
I enjoy a good cooperative game, don't get me wrong.  And Evolve looks like a very good cooperative game.  But at the end of the day I'm a single-player gamer, so unless they go the Left 4 Dead route and include bots (considering the nature of the game... unlikely) I'll probably have to pass on this one.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
I haven't played a CoD game since the original, but c'mon, man: it's Kevin Spacey.  Still probably not enough to get me to play it, though.  I expect it will be the usual flashy single-player campaign with low replayability due to linear design and heavy scripting, a very popular competitive multiplayer suite, and maybe a nifty cooperative mode that's ultimately the smallest portion of the experience.

Doom 4
I love me some id, but then again I never even bothered with Rage and only kept Doom 3 for the Dark Mod's sake (which it no longer needs, so... *punt*).  Let's see how I feel after the QuakeCon reveal.

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
This is another new style of game I've been keeping my eye on, from Dear Esther to Gone Home and The Stanley Parable.  If the experience proves substantial enough (my biggest complaint against the aforementioned trio), we might have a keeper on our hands here.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 11:51:09 PM by Doc_Brown »

everything