Author Topic: The Summer Sales Are In Full Swing  (Read 2749 times)

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
The Summer Sales Are In Full Swing
« on: June 19, 2014, 11:21:04 PM »
Between GOG and Steam, I plan on buying...well...okay, I think I have pretty much all the games I'll ever need already, and then some. But for those of us still on the fence about paying more than nine bucks for elderly RPGs that won't run on anything more advanced than Win95 without heavy fan-made patching, this may be your sale.

A bit of advice: if you're looking for an older (and DRM-free) game that's patched up to run on modern systems, then you should try GOG. Because Steam may offer some of the older games, but they're not always player-friendly...

...still, I've already picked up both Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 from GOG, as well as Deus Ex Invis... -- DXIW, that is -- all for under $13. From what I gather, GOG's version of DXIW is easier to get running.

Here's another conundrum: Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics are back up for purchase (and are on sale!) on Steam. But not on GOG yet, if ever. The thing is, the GOG versions -- which I didn't buy when I had the chance -- were apparently the better choice, as the patches were more comprehensive. I may be able to get the entire bundle for a great price on Steam, but I think I'll wait a bit and see.

This has nothing to do with it, but I'm still depressed that Kaley Cuoco chopped off her hair. According to all the (female) comments I've seen, it's "cute," apparently. I hate cute. No straight man in the history of the species has EVER said that a woman should chop off her golden flowing tresses to appear "cute." Women say that because they're basically evil and know that if a veritable goddess chops off her hair, it's removing the competition.

Anyway.

Also, both platforms are offering pre-orders for the Witcher 3; Steam has a 10%-off offer, while GOG's offer is 20% off AND free of that gaming cancer, DRM. However, as the game is still a few months away from release, I think I'll wait a while.  ::)

So there you have it. Go buy some games.
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Online Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
Re: The Summer Sales Are In Full Swing
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 12:05:07 AM »
Huh.  Last year Steam's summer sale didn't go into effect until July.  I guess this just accelerates my Thief timetable...
Roads?  Where we're going we don't need roads.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 09:56:24 AM »
Older games are always better on GOG. Take the Thief series for example... Thief Gold and and TMA are already patched with the New Dark engine while the Steam versions are still with the old one. No big deal as you can patch it yourself but why take the most complicated solution? For Europeans there's also another reason to buy GOG when given the choice... We pay in USD instead of Euro so there not that 1 USD = 1 Euro nonsense so frequently encountered on Steam.

So yeah, USD/Euro conversion aside, I'd still wait and see if the Fallout series reappears on GOG. I don't see why not unless Bethesda really hates GOG.

As for the "other" topic, I realized a long time ago that female magazines like Vogue and whatnot actually hate females. They still continue to give stupid advice to their audience that no sane man would condone. "Hey! Stop eating! be like a stick! Men love that!" or "Cut your hair to resemble a little boy! Men adore that!" So either a) the director of those publications, generally women too,  are homosexuals and want to get rid of the competition or b) they absolutely can't stand any other woman but themselves so they also want to get rid of the competition but the other way.

Also, both platforms are offering pre-orders for the Witcher 3; Steam has a 10%-off offer, while GOG's offer is 20% off AND free of that gaming cancer, DRM. However, as the game is still a few months away from release, I think I'll wait a while.  ::)

You should at least wait to have played both The Witcher and The Witcher 2  :funup: Regarding The Witcher 3 though, GOG will always have the best deal. After all it's their parent company that develops it. It's only normal that they offer the best deal to push people to buy from GOG. Valve will do exactly the same with HL3 and Steam. At least CD Projekt leave the choice to people unlike Electronic Arts and their "Want to play Mass Effect 3, Dead Space 3 or any new EA games... Then get Origin" policy.

Anyway, it's a good time to get those games you'd like to try but are not comfortable enough to buy full price (and they are many) or to complete the switch from CD/DVD to digital collection.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 08:38:37 AM »
Sorry...took a little vacation. Stomach bug. Let's just say that sitting in a waiting room with a bunch of kids running around is no longer an option for me. I will be waiting outside and/or in the car while wearing a full hazmat suit, at least until I can get my portable plastic bubble.

Children. Vile, disease-ridden maggots. Screeching little microbe fountains. The hyperactive pestilential source of all problems.

Although...I will say that the one kid using a couple of empty chairs as congas -- while his mother ignored him in favor of texting -- had a strong, solid technique that will serve him well in a Led Zeppelin tribute band.

Anyway!

Just for the ease-of-installation is reason enough to buy the Thief series on GOG; tracking down all of the necessary fixes on TTLG isn't the most enjoyable activity in the world. Probably because I tend to get distracted. Things bug me, you know? Like Kaley Cuoco's STUPID HAIR.

Steam may or may not care that the older games run on modern systems...for example, trying to get GTA3 running was an exercise in frustration (some things just weren't meant to run at 1920x1080, I understand that now), and while I believe it's entirely possible to get it working perfectly, provided I make the correct sacrifices and perform the incantations without slurring the apostrophe-laden miasma of guttural grunting the Great Old Ones called "language," by that point I'm just not interested anymore. And I'm most likely being slowly consumed alive by some squid-like other-dimensional entity, just because I mispronounced "ftagn."

Yeah, the fashion industry: run by "men" who hate women and women who hate women. And they insist that their target audience -- women -- should hate men for a multitude of reasons, not the least of which includes "forcing" them to aspire ceaselessly to an unattainable state of flawless beauty...an ideal that was actually established by the aforementioned "men" and women who hate women.

Anyone have a few aspirin to spare?? :ss-weird1

You should at least wait to have played both The Witcher and The Witcher 2  :funup:

Touché!  :ok:

Self-Correction: the GOG version is 10% off, not 20% as I stated earlier. Apologies to everyone who gives a damn. Although I believe, as Fran Drescher pointed out once, it's not really a sale unless it's 50% off.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 08:59:54 PM by Silver Sorrow »
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 07:58:56 PM »
Self-Correction: the GOG version is 10% off, not 20% as I stated earlier.

It's up to 27% actually. That depends on the number of Witcher games you bought from GOG. Owner of both games on GOG get a 27% discount for the third one (it's what I got). Owner of one of the two previous games get 20% and 10% for those who didn't buy any of The Witcher games from GOG. I understand that if you already got The Witcher 1 and/or 2 from a source other than GOG you can register for your free digital copies on GOG and thus also get the 27% off (without having to buy both games again).
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 08:04:52 PM by Starfox »

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Online Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 08:51:06 PM »
Finally!  For those of you like me who've been waiting for enough of a price drop, Thief is now on sale for $15.  Took 'em until nearly the end of the summer sale, but better late than never I s'pose.

Offline bobdog

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 09:55:31 AM »
Final Tally:
- The Bureau: XCOM Declassified + DLCs - $7.49
- Bioshock Infinite Season Pass - $9.99
- Betrayer - $4.99
- Takedown: Red Sabre - $0.99
- Marlow Briggs - $0.99
- Splinter Cell Blacklist Deluxe Edition - $10.69
- Uprising44 - $5.99
- Enslaved: Odyssey to the West Premium Edition - $4.99

TOTAL: $46.12 (avg. $5.77/game)

Of these, the only ones I HADN'T intended to play were The Bureau and Takedown: Red Sabre, but at those prices I figured I could give them a shot.

I opted against Thief because I still want it to go down more before buying. I've got plenty of other games in the meantime.

Offline Lord Mantrid

• Sorry, you startled me. I was doing Snorkel Shots.
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 03:01:47 PM »
I finally got a legit copy of Fallout 3 and New Vegas, both GOTY editions for a combined 11.73. Merica.
Spoiler
valv softwer is 3d relms in teh futuer!!!!!!111!1!1one1!

Online Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 10:22:31 PM »
I opted against Thief because I still want it to go down more before buying.

Understandable.  $15 was the magic number for me because that's what I paid for The Last of Us.  Even though I was let down by TLOU, I didn't feel too bad considering what I spent.  By extension, it didn't feel right paying more money for Thief when I expect to be disappointed by it.