Author Topic: Question for stealth fans  (Read 1792 times)

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
Question for stealth fans
« on: June 27, 2014, 01:43:15 PM »
What do you think of this?

This isn't the first I've seen of Styx, but it's certainly the longest look they've given yet.  It seems technically impressive, but at the same time sort of... generic, I guess?  Not hugely enthused with the developer's track record...

Am I being too cynical?
Roads?  Where we're going we don't need roads.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
Re: Question for stealth fans
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 06:05:33 PM »
That's amusing... "And Thief meets (or mates with) Assassin's Creed".

Unfortunately, Cyanide is Known to have good gameplay ideas and poor execution. At least this time they seem to be rid of the horrible multiple action "wheels" they used in Game of Thrones. Yeah, their catalog is not really composed of AAA games but one can hope that they learned from their mistakes. Who knows that could be "the" game that makes them famous...

The gameplay seems fun but as you say, generic enough too with some forced ideas (like conveniently located crates so you can hide corpses -- but not more than one per crate. However I would have liked such a system in Thief; there's an awful lot of closets in the game in which one can hide and each time I asked myself "But WHY can't I stuff a body in there? instead of being forced to dump it in a dark corner". So yeah, maybe the crates are not such a bad idea after all). Visibly, Styx is borrowing from several other games but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Singularity that I just finished playing the other day also borrows from other games but ends up being quite fun to play (only real flaw I found was the complete absence of any form of subtitles and the use of plain English on posters supposed to be in Russian).

But back to Styx, for now I'm more worried by the first thing I noticed in the video: a very choppy framerate. This video was probably recorded on a rig especially built for the purpose of the game demonstration and trailer recording. If their game barely run on a rig built for that, I don't even want to think about OUR rigs. At any rate we certainly won't be able to achieve the quality shown in this footage.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline bobdog

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 11:54:00 PM »
Their last game -- Orcs vs. Humans, I think was the title -- was EXTREMELY choppy, and this is where the Styx character was originally introduced. I am interested in the game and think it could be fun. But we'll need to see what it looks like on a real computer first.

Offline SlyFoxx

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 04:10:34 PM »
Could be worth a try.  But 3rd person...*sigh*

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 05:42:43 PM »
OK so I started playing and:

Good: it is not choppy at all (at least on my rig but I just bought a new one so I can't speak for older rigs).

Bad: I wonder if the stealth system is a joke or if they really intended that. See, generally stealth means that at least some of the guards patrol, opening and closing paths and it's to you to find the best possible path for your purpose. At first Styx goes this way but then suddenly, at the end of the first part of the tutorial mission, you find yourself in a pseudo stealth situation in which guards only move after you reach a location (so it's timed stealth); so you tell yourself that they begin patrolling but no... They go to two other locations blocking the two only paths that would allow you to progress further. The trick here seems to be that you get one (and only one) chance to pass unseen if you make your move at the very moment they start to make theirs. If you don't make your move then too bad because there's no way you can pass unseen by any of the three guards in the room. And since once they relocated they don't move any longer (I waited more than 2 minutes to see if the stupid grunts were going to start patrolling) that let you 2 things to do... being detected, entering combat and dying or reloading (possibly both and in that order).

If this sort of scheme is going to repeat through the game I say that it's a big NO GO.

The combat is pitiful... I don't know if the options are better further in the game but generally when you engage a guard he just swings his sword until you die in the most basic "I never held a sword in my entire life so let's pretend it's a hammer" kind of way. And what can you do? Dodge and parry. Because the thing is you can only kill the guy if you parry one of his attack at the correct right moment (not a millisecond before or after). The ability wheel of the combat system in Of Orcs and Men -- where I played almost exclusively with Styx -- was cumbersome but at least the combat was a bit more entertaining.

Bugs: So far the game crashed after my clone was killed early in the second part of the tutorial mission... Good job. At another point during a combat I fell through the map...

Well, it's good to see that Cyanide are faithful to their normal self: good ideas, poor execution.

Of course my opinion might change if the game gets terrifically better progressing further but for now it's bof...

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 10:38:13 AM »
And now there's a sequel, apparently.  Cyanide Studios must be really committed to making this into a franchise.
Roads?  Where we're going we don't need roads.

Offline bobdog

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 11:29:58 AM »
Styx wasn't a bad game, although there was too much repetition of levels. But I appreciated the sneaking and stealth elements, especially playing without killing or being seen. I'd give the sequel a shot.