Author Topic: Steam discrepency  (Read 1372 times)

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
Steam discrepency
« on: July 31, 2014, 10:26:58 PM »
In my spare time, I'm teaching myself how to map in Hammer and model in Maya.  Consequently, I'm trying to get a model I made in Maya into Hammer, which is an ordeal in and of itself.  But that's not what this post is about.

Take a look at this:

The folder on the left is the one from my desktop computer.  The one on the right is from my laptop.  As you can see, the contents are radically different.  And this is perplexing to me, because I see no reason why they should be any different.  If I download the Source SDK onto two different computers, the downloads should be the same, shouldn't they?

Does anyone have Source SDK currently installed?  Or, if not, would be willing to briefly install it just to see?  I'm curious what everyone else is getting, and if anyone knows why there's a difference.
Roads?  Where we're going we don't need roads.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
Re: Steam discrepency
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 11:35:52 PM »
I'm guessing you've never run the Source SDK on your Desktop computer. The whole folder architecture on the right is what you obtain after you've launch the SDK at least once (until you do all those folders and files are kept packed and the only folder displayed is 4.5; the rest of the folders are updates to the SDK, icons and scripts are resources).

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 12:07:54 AM »
Merci beaucoup!  But how did you even know that?

It makes sense, though, since I don't recall seeing the relevant folder originally.  I downloaded the various SDKs (2006, 2007, 2013, even Source Filmmaker) trying to find what I kept reading about, and then suddenly there it was.  I tried replicating those steps on my desktop, but forgot that I ran the base SDK on my laptop at one point.  I don't think that's a step anyone ever bothered to mention...

Now to figure out how to convert models from Maya to Hammer... a process that isn't terribly well documented and may not even technically work for the older version of Maya I'm running...
Roads?  Where we're going we don't need roads.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 06:16:23 AM »
That's one of the only pieces of knowledge I gathered tinkering with the SDK a while back. Unfortunately my knowledge doesn't go much farther than that. Even back in the "Nuclear Target" days, I wasn't the one programming and modelling  ;D

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein