Author Topic: The Inquisition Thread  (Read 5014 times)

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
Re: The Inquisition Thread
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2015, 08:24:49 PM »
OK, so I will give a tip for what it's worth about choosing your own character. Try to avoid Dalish. I started a game as a Dalish archer. At first things seemed right but then I started to run in inconsistencies, especially when reaching the exalted plains.

Spoiler
So there I was with Scout Harding giving me the tour as usual and so I say "That's where the elves made their last stand" and I couldn't believe my ears when I heard her answer "Oh, so you studied the history of the Dales". And I was there thinking "I'm a Dalish elf so yeah studying the Dales is pretty much standard education in clans. See the tatoos, the pointed ears? Dal-ish as in coming from the Dales". Problem is it happened to me in several cases to see my Dalish responding like a human or being identified as a human but there it was ridiculous. And that didn't stopped there because after that I ran into a hunter of the clan that is there. I help him fight some demons and after that he calls me "friend" the same as he greeted my human character. "Lethallin" didn't ring a bell apparently. So I continue up to the clan encampment and there I address the Keeper that for once identifies me correctly as one of the People even hazarding a Dal'en. Anyway, I continue and meet the guy that want to join the inquisition and there he tells me he knows of my deeds because they're big talks among the clans in a positive way he assures. Good at least there's someone who know who I am -- previously the keeper made no mention of me being the inquisitor. So I go a little further to the merchant to buy something and there she goes "Sorry but the keeper doesn't want us to trade with strangers"... "Hello! Dalish, right here!" but stressing that was not even an option. So yeah, as a consequence I have to earn the trust of the Dalish clan like any puny human. But they are smiling to their "sister" however... sort of. That's supposed to make me feel better. Somewhere that's hilarious. I don't intend to start a game as a Dwarf or a Qunari but I guess that wouldn't be much more brilliant. The game is mostly adapted to a human character. And sometimes playing a Dalish really does sound off. In DA:O there was no voice for the main character which obviously allowed much more latitude as to what the reactions of a Dalish could be. Here? I mostly forget that my character is Dalish.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2015, 09:21:14 PM »
They really didn't spend too much time worrying about the player's background, did they? You're a [dwarf/qunari] mercenary, or a Dalish spy, or a human noble warrior/rogue or a mage, etc., but there was nothing as beautifully detailed as the origin stories in DAO (the Dalish origin, for example, which was probably my favorite). I guess they really wanted that memory gap issue to be a thing.  ::)

Anyway, just popping in to mention: after finishing at the 111 hour mark with one character, I'm now at the 31 hour mark with a second character. Why? If anyone's been following that other spoiler-heavy thread, you'll know that due to some inexplicable bug I couldn't finish Mandibles Of Mumbai Jaws of Hakkon. I tried everything short of reinstalling the entire game, but to no avail. I suspected that the problem may be one of two issues:

1. I have an Nvidia card.

2. Playing Jingles Of Jesters Past Jaws of Hakkon after the main game is over.

The former...well, I'm stuck with this card for the moment. I'm just hoping it's the second reason; hopefully, playing Boogers And Bastards Jaws of Hakkon as part of the natural progression of the game will prove effective.

However, this current character is only a relative babe in the Hinterlands at a mere level 13. She just got her specialization, and isn't ready to face a High Dragon, much less wander into the Eyeballs Of Painful Poking Jaws of Hakkon yet. Give it another, say, 10 hours of painful leveling before I can test my theory. :P

Screens? Why not?

The scene's a bit busy; if you can tell, there's a soldier obscuring Sera. As part of my unfortunate entanglement in the premise of RPGs (that is: "talk to everyone until you cry tears of blood out of sheer boredom!"), I was talking to Sera. I'd rather discuss subatomic particles with Kanye West. Anyway, this stupid bastard walks in and just walks right into Sera, and keeps walking into her until we're done discussing the locked doors under the chantry.

Sadly, that's just the tip of this annoyingly huge iceberg that is AI stupidity. I've seen 'em walk in endless circles, run into each other like the Three Stooges, run into *me*, knocking me out of conversations (to quote Christopher Titus: "Now I know why Moe was always mad."), stand on tables, fire, and...and...yeesh.

Apparently, my character is at the height of Orlesian battlemage fashion:

It'd be all black, except that I don't have any Great Bear hides yet.

While I like the idea of the tinting table, I just wish they'd let me choose the colors from a color wheel perhaps, rather than the ridiculous and ugly colors of the various crafting materials. Gurgut webbing and Plaidweave? Yes, please! :ss-facepalm

I had more things to gripe about, but I'll let that go for now.
It is the scent of garlic that lingers on my chocolate fingers

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2015, 02:24:29 PM »
Among the innumerable things that bother me about this game, these are the peeves of the day:

- Why does it take longer to kill one wolf than it would to bring down the entire Darkspawn horde?

- Why does the game think a halla is more of a threat than the terror demon standing beside it?

- And, for that matter, why were halla grazing peacefully next to demons?

- Almost 50 hours invested into this character, and I've only just reached level 17. Give it maybe another 20 or 30 hours to reach level 20, and I might just be able to test my theory about why I couldn't finish Nads of Nerdopolis Jaws of Hakkon. That way, I might not be slaughtered within seconds of starting it.

- Some people dream of money, power, women...I dream about two things: 1) an entire week of uninterrupted sleep, and 2) that the dog next door dies. It doesn't even have to be the violent, bloody death that I imagine with a gentle smile...someone could quietly euthanize it. I don't care how they do it, just MAKE IT SHUT UP.
It is the scent of garlic that lingers on my chocolate fingers

everything