Author Topic: Inquisition...So That Happened. **HEAVY SPOILERS**  (Read 2009 times)

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Inquisition...So That Happened. **HEAVY SPOILERS**
« on: April 07, 2015, 01:23:10 AM »
Yes, HEAVY SPOILERS for those who have not finished the game.

I'm not kidding. If you haven't finished it, turn back now.

Last chance.

Okay!

I finished it. 111 hours. 95 hours with one character, and apparently 16 hours -- SIXTEEN! -- screwing around with other characters. I may have gotten my money's worth out of this game.

So.

So it was all Solas' fault, huh? Flemeth is (possessed by?) Mythal, Solas is (also possessed by?) Fen'Harel, and all the crap in the world hit the fan because Solas gave the orb to Corypheus.

I think Bioware is trying to tell us something. Something big. Of course, I still think the big reveal will be that the Maker is, in fact, a Reaper.

Anyway. Let's see...Fen'Harel is reputedly a trickster god, and from what I gather, sows chaos for the greater good. So Solas giving the orb to Corypheus caused a crapload of suffering and horror, but...maybe I'm reading too much into it. Or not enough.

Either way, it's past 1am and I've reached that quaint twilight of thought that makes even the most bizarre conjecture seem like the greatest idea ever.

Until I can get perhaps a solid 12 to 18 hours of sleep, Dragon Age Inquisition's Ending Explained might be an interesting read...
It is the scent of garlic that lingers on my chocolate fingers

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
Re: Inquisition...So That Happened. **HEAVY SPOILERS**
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 11:52:19 AM »
And the Maker was absent all this time because he was too busy screwing up the ending of Mass Effect 3 and possibly 4.

The thing is (I agree with the guy in the link you posted) if you didn't specifically do what Bioware expected, you might end up not understanding the end one bit. Example, if you left Solas at base most of the time including for the important missions (leaving Solas behind when going to the temple of Mythal is really an error since it partly spoils Bioware plans), if you never talk to Solas during the whole game because you find him, say boring, then yes, the end (after the credits) may take you completely by surprise. But if you take Solas with you most of the time or at least for the big missions and listen to his banters and interactions with other characters, after a while you start to realize that something is wrong. I mean the guy's out of nowhere, everybody assume he's an apostate just because he's a mage (and apparently because everybody assume he's an apostate nobody question his true origin), his background story is as thin as a sheet of toilet paper and yet his knowledge when it comes to the fade and spirits would put to shame even the most famed First Enchanter of Thedas. Particularly it's obvious he knows more about the orb than just "acquiring the knowledge when walking the Fade".

And I don't even think that during the whole game you speak to Solas but to the Solas/Fen'Harel dual entity (same as Anders/Justice, just much less insane). The vast knowledge about spirits and the Fade clearly comes from Fen'Harel, not from the random mage that is Solas.

One has to also keep in mind that the discussion at the very end is between Fen'Harel and Mythal, not the people they inhabit.

Still unclear as to how Fen'Harel could be tricked into giving the orb to Corypheus (I mean, in all sanity, would you be willing to trust a guy like Corypheus?) in the first place but knowing the story of Fen'Harel one understands that it's somehow because of this orb that the elven gods were locked away and that this orb was also possibly the only way to release them. Not clear as to what happens to Mythal now that Flemeth is dead.

But sure, all the above is just what I think. With Bioware one never knows. Maybe they have no idea what they are doing and they are just writing as they go trying to patch up things later.

I remember for example a text found in the Circle in DA:O about the fact that magical teleportation cannot exist not matter how hard one tries... but in DA2 and DA:I most of the enemy mages (including Corypheus) are teleportation capable even though your mage doesn't have this ability (well there's something in the ice tree allowing to go really fast on short distances but that's not the same thing really).
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 12:01:16 PM by Starfox »

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 08:18:50 AM »
I was able to piece together some bits and pieces and clues (despite my chicken wire memory), so I got the gist of the matter...but they really needed to force Solas into the party at certain key points. It wouldn't even be that big a deal: "You're going to the temple of Mythal, I'm going with you."

Thing is, as a mage I never needed Solas. So I missed out on a lot that would've made it somewhat more clear...or, failing that, at least it would have deepened the*atmosphere* around the mystery.

Another problem is that, in addition to Solas and the possibility of the player being a mage, they made two other, more interesting, mages available. So instead of a Spirit mage (Solas) who merely provided Barrier support, I had a fire-happy Necromancer (Dorian) and a Knight-Enchanter Frost Queen (Vivienne) at my disposal. I mean...okay, if you have a respec amulet, you could respec Solas to be what you want, but still...not as much fun as Black Maleficent (which would be an awesome name for a band).

Here's where I wander off into the weeds; brain-damaged speculation and wrong conclusions may abound:

If the Darkspawn were a mechanism to keep everyone away from the Golden City (as someone theorized), then perhaps the so-called "elf gods" really don't give a crap about mortals. Thus the destruction caused by Corypheus doesn't really matter to Fen'Harel when taking in the big picture (as well: Mythal/Flemeth seemed dismissive of massive death tolls, herself), as long as his agenda is met. He seemed distraught when talking to her, but perhaps that was merely distress over the fact that it had all gone so very wrong, instead of any concern for mortals.

But I don't know. I think there may be something weird in these Pop-Tarts, though.  :madscientist:

Making it up as they go along? Impossible! They're not Bethesda!  ;D

Still not happy about mage teleportation. Plus, if I can't teleport, why should random anonymous mages be able to?

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 09:49:36 AM »
Jaws of Hakkon. Spoiler-heavy zone, so...whatever.

Yet another in a long line of Bioware's "Let's Cut Out Content And Then Add It In Later As DLC" strategy. For the record, one of the writers of the DLC stated that the content was like, totally written after Inquisition was done...sure, butterwings. I believe you.  ::)

Although I had very little fun with this DLC for various reasons (detailed later), the worst of it manifested late.

A Fun Little Tale Of Rage-Quit And Task Manager Summoning:

I had reached the Point Of No Return (storming the fortress with the friendly Avvar); proceeding went as expected: overpowered bad guys, etc. I get to the broken wall where all of the somewhat passive glowing cloud spirits are, and out of nowhere, one of them one-shots me. I was wearing a 500+ Lifeward amulet (because this sort of thing happens more than I care to think about), not that it did any good. I was facedown for no apparent reason. I was switched over to Varric, whereupon I shot all of them once or twice with no further problems. Varric seemed befuddled by the whole thing.

I went to the doors leading to the old temple, sat through the idiotic card screen, went to the even-more-idiotic post-card black loading screen, and...freeze. Total freeze.

Vexing.

Ctrl+Alt+Del, kill the game in Task Manager. Load the game again. Sit through the tedious, tiresome pre-load crap that is the hallmark of modern Bioware games. Load save game. Click on door. Cards. Black. Freeze.

Well, shit.

Loaded my save, retraced my steps to the area above the broken wall, found a little niche with a chest and debris. Opened chest. The screen goes black, my character yelps, screen clears, I'm back at the gate where the Avvar Champion broke through, picking myself up off the ground. I return to the niche, which now has two drums instead of the chest. I open them. They contain so-so loot, which totally fails to take me by surprise.

I return to the door. Cards. Black. Freeze.

Goddammit it all to hell.

Go through about a half-dozen or so possible solutions, none of them work. Curse Bioware roundly. Opine that every Bioware employee should be put to sleep. Wander off to do something else.

Fresh start this morning, attempting from an earlier save at the beginning of the initial assault on the fortress. (Yes, that means I had to go through all of those STUPID encounters with overpowered bad guys again.) Reach door. Cards. Black. Freeze.

From what I gathered after sifting through a dozen help topics in the EA "help" forums and through searches (Google, btw, keeps asking me if I meant to search for "haakon"...Google is nothing more than a foul collective of the fetid hellish offspring of filthy street prostitutes), I'm the only person on the face of this benighted planet to have this problem.

So. Apparently I paid $14.99 for a mediocre add-on that I cannot finish.

I'll give it another shot later, perhaps from an even earlier save, but I'm not expecting anything to work at this point. Their bugs are tenacious.

I have to feed certain people, so I'll be back later with even more bitching and moaning.

EDIT.

And I'm back. The niche conundrum, screenified:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

So anyway, yes: I had some major issues with the DLC. But besides that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?

PROS:
- The setting was pleasant enough.

CONS:
- The constant respawning of enemies. I'd run through one area, kill a crapload of -- yes, overpowered -- nasties, turn around, and there'd be MORE OF THEM spawned in. The regular game's like that, too. It still pisses me off.

- The enemies themselves. I went in as a level 24 mage and was nearly massacred at every turn. Everything is overpowered, except for me and my meat puppets, who continue to ignore even my most basic commands. ("Hold. HOLD. That means stop right the fuck THERE. Wh--where are you going?? STOP!!") I got killed by a frost giant (I hate them as a rule, but this guy? Eek.), annihilated by a quartet of level 30 Despair demons, almost got killed by four (FOUR!) Pride demons, and...and...

...I can't talk about it. I just want to curl up in the fetal position under my desk. I guess what I'm getting at is: why does *every* encounter have to be epic? What nincompoop is actually *for* long, drawn out battles with multiple enemies, each with a kajillion health? After fighting a group of Avvar -- two nigh-immortal mages, two bowmen with freezing arrows, and two Brutes who absolutely, positively, did not want to die -- I gave up on trying to find any fun in this game.

- The camps aren't really safe, either. It's like the spiders and lurkers are just waiting for me to walk five feet from a camp. The Treehouse camps are even worse.

- Those stupid birds everywhere. "GRAAAK! GRAAAK!" Kill them ALL.

- Almost 17,000 gold for a mage armor schematic? Mage armor that looks exactly like mage armor I already have? But provides perhaps 20 more armor points? No, thank you.

- Similarly, such high prices for schematics for armor I can't even wear? Why should Vivienne be the only one to wear it? Screw her, I want the Maleficent hat for myself. I hate Bioware.

In summary, DAI's overall message was "Fuck You, Player." The DLC is an extension of that sentiment: "And The Horse You Rode In On."
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 12:14:57 PM by Silver Sorrow »

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 02:37:52 PM »
OK, you'll hate me for that but... I finished the DLC without a crash. However I did experience the problem of the niche where you fall through to your death and that changes loot after that. Never knew what happened there. One second I was looting something and the second after I was apparently 20 meters below, recovering from death. But I did see my character falling through the ground (she wasn't just teleported away).

As for the freeze I don't know what to tell you. My setup is completely different from yours (AMD CPU and graphic card). All I can say is to reboot the system completely, not start anything but the game (well one has to start Origin but other than that, nothing else) and to try again. I discovered after a series of crash I had at a particular point in the game (the fight against Terror in the Fade) that it may be beneficial to switch to tactical pause; at least switching to tactical pause did avoid the crash in the Fade -- when you try to do all the fight without tactical pause for some reason the game crashes (100% reproducible in my case, no pause = crash, pause = no crash). Don't know if that can help in your case but until another solution presents itself you can still try to pause the game for a few seconds before activating the door...

Also don't forget that Origin has a system similar to Steam to check that all the files were correctly downloaded. A corrupted file may be the culprit.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 03:50:02 AM »
Oh, no...I don't hate anyone for being able to complete the DLC. I hate Bioware. I'm pretty sure that their ancestors killed Christ.

Still not sure what the deal was with that niche, but if it's an easter egg they sure as hell went about it in an irritating way...those baby-eating bastards.

That freeze is my bugbear. I've tried everything short of reinstalling (hell, I even upgraded my vid card driver, which is something I try only as a last resort), and yet it persists. So. I suspect -- from the sheer number of complaints in the troubleshooting forum -- that my problem is the fact that I have an Nvidia card. Don't see a lot of AMD-related complaints. Even so, I saw that there were people who had problems with the console versions. Conclusion: Bioware is worse than Bethesda. And they support ISIS.

All things considered, it's not a huge deal; I'll start a new character and take my time working through the game until I'm level 20...that took, what, 80 hours with my main character? Ha! A mere trifle!

...I just kind of wish that either the game leveled sympathetically, or there was a god mode so I could check this type of thing out quickly. Oh, well. I have nothing but free time.  :lol:

Until I get to that point, I've been tweaking my glass armor in Skyrim. I'll continue over in that thread...

everything