Author Topic: A new story DLC... Finally.  (Read 1423 times)

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
A new story DLC... Finally.
« on: August 13, 2015, 06:29:13 PM »
The Descent it is name and cost about €15 -- knowing EA and the sudden Euro deflation of the last year I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the price was 15 USD.

Orzammar calls for your help! A series of earthquake threatens the exploitation of lyrium mines by cracking open the seals that separate the region of the deep roads slowly conquered since the end of the Blight by Orzammar from  Darkspawn territory. As lyrium is important for the Inquisition one cannot easily ignore the threats. So there you are stumbling again (although as the Inquisitor it's the first time that the player really goes into the deep roads) within the relative dark with your companions and two Orzammar dwarves, Lieutenant Renn, a Legion Of The Dead Commander and Shaper Valta, the daughter of a noble house. But why did they want the help of the Inquisition as The Legion should have easily been able to contain the Darkspawn? Thing is, Valta is convinced that the earthquakes are not entirely natural and that the Darkspawn are not necessarily involved...

This new DLC opens a new area which is more like a dungeon with several levels. If your character is a low level 5, don't even bother. i went in there with my party at 25+ and it was nearly annihilated by the first ogre encountered (at the very beginning of the DLC so I guess Bioware wanted to give the tone). Fortunately not all battle are as tough as this one but you'll suffer no matter what. Frostback Basin? A piece of cake compared to that.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 06:45:05 PM by Starfox »

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
Re: A new story DLC... Finally.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 11:25:05 AM »
Yup...$14.99. So far I've spent more on this game than the first two games and their DLCs put together, it seems. ::)  Well...probably not. Most likely not. But I don't really want to know how much I've put into just this game, considering EA's nickel-'n'-dime-'em-to-death marketing philosophy.

A while back, I wandered off after one of the updates broke mods -- again -- and now that I've updated...huh. It seems that I completely missed the last two STUF 4 UR T00N LOL dlcs (Qunari stuff and Avvar stuff. Whoopty-doo.), but an actual story DLC? This might be worth the cash. That is, if I hadn't just spent most of my worldy fortune on low-volume cymbals. And the hi-hat stand. I REALLY needed the new hi-hat stand.

Still, I think it might be good to get a new character started so by the time I can afford the DLC (and maybe food), I'll be at just the right level to get smeared all over Orzammar by that ogre.
It is the scent of garlic that lingers on my chocolate fingers

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 08:03:54 AM »
but an actual story DLC? This might be worth the cash

Yeah that's what we'd like to think... But let me break it down now that I've finished it. A dozen hours gameplay (mostly because of the lengthy fights), not that much new loot, horrible unisex armor (I mean things that seem the same on a male or female character) the unavoidable quest "go fetch X items to open doors" rinse and repeat. And to top it all a story that I can only described as "let's make it up as we go" at least that's really the feeling I had getting to the end.

Really Bioware I don't know if you've noticed lately but there's some real competition out there. Competition that doesn't care about crappy multiplayer, that doesn't care about releasing a gazillion of paid DLC but that unfortunately for you cares about the quality of the single player part. The Frostback Basin was at least a decent effort with an interesting story. The Descent is OK as far as the visuals of the deep roads and under go but that's pretty much it.

My advice Silver, keep your money, pool it together and put it in something far more consistent like... The Witcher 3  :ok: or if The Witcher is really not your thing wait for Fallout 4. Or pick up another hi-hat stand... Never too many of those  :lol:

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 01:16:24 PM »
Gotcha. Saving up for Witcher 3 instead.  :ok:

Usually when it coms to RPGs, I like to try out different builds, etc., even if the end result is the same...but after I finished DAI, I just looked at it and said "naaaaaah." Oh, I restarted several (dozen) times, due to the chargen, but only went through the whole thing once, and that was enough. I tried a second time out of sheer bloody-mindedness, but when I was about to go through the Val Royeaux (sp?) ball again, you should have heard my wail of despair. Maybe it's just me.

I guess that as long as there's gullible people to exploit, EA will continue with their bizarre mandate: "money talks, and bullshit...well, if you can manage to harness the sheer power of bullshit, you'll be able to have ALL TEH M0NIES IN TEH W0RLD!!!!111"

Y'know, I was thinking of getting one of those remote hi-hat stands. But that's a lot of money to spend just because I'm too lazy to cross one hand over the other. :ss-facepalm
It is the scent of garlic that lingers on my chocolate fingers

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 02:31:39 PM »
when I was about to go through the Val Royeaux (sp?) ball again, you should have heard my wail of despair. Maybe it's just me.

I heard there are a lot of people who can't stand the ball at Halamshiral. Curiously that may be one of my favorite parts in the whole game. Plus when you know what you have to do it's not really complicated; only the first time really causes troubles, mainly because of the "standing" system but then you realize that if you handle both dances with Florianne correctly you can end up with a perfect 100 -- those two dances are very important -- and that lives you more than enough time to explore the restricted areas.

However I didn't play a complete second walkthrough either. Stunning considering the number of times I played DAO. I started an Elven archer and a Qunari Sarebas. Then I realized that my Elven Archer was about the same as my human noble. As for the Qunari it's even more laughable. See, the playable Qunari is in fact a Vashoth (not to be confounded with Tal-Vashoth which are rebels fighting against the Qun). Vashoth are Qunari who spent their entire life outside of the Qun and have never been linked to it. So instead of an interesting character you just play a thing that resembles a Qunari but who has no idea what the Qun really is, has never set foot on Seheron and only knows of the Qun what their parents told them. For example, you can try to be in conflict with Iron Bull, but what's the point? First he wont make any effort to get into an argument with you and 2nd you're Vashoth so the Ben-Hassrath has no particular bone to pick with you. Only change? If you play a female Qunari Sera is ready to jump into your bed at first sight (which kinda agrees with her overall character of total weirdo). That and... you can have a nice pair of... horns.

Val Royeaux (sp?)

Yeah, that's amusing. Val Royeaux, it's the correct spelling in game. In French however you'd either write "Val Royal" or "Vaux Royaux" (without the "e"). As it is they mixed singular "Val" and plural "Royaux" and then added "e" (my guess is that they wanted people to be able to google the thing quickly). English translation would be Royal Valley which is amusing Orlais being an Empire :lol: Even Orlais probably comes from Orléans a French town that in the US gave it's name to "La Nouvelle Orléans" (or "New Orleans" as Napoleon sold Louisiana to the United States). Orlé is the same as Orlais in pronunciation or to look at it from another perspective, we call inhabitants of Orléans "Orléanais" if you take out "éan" you're left with Orl-ais. What puzzles me though is the whole Venetian decorum. The only time Venice was linked to France was during Napoleon's era.

Sorry just thinking out loud...

Y'know, I was thinking of getting one of those remote hi-hat stands. But that's a lot of money to spend just because I'm too lazy to cross one hand over the other. :ss-facepalm

I always wanted to play the drums but I've always been awful at it. Apparently it's impossible for me to separate my members. My right hand sticks with my left foot and my left hand with my right foot. No ideal for playing. I had a buddy musician who tried to teach me at one point but I was really hopeless. C'est la vie.

everything