Author Topic: Well. Bethesda's Finally Gone DRM-Free  (Read 1689 times)

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Well. Bethesda's Finally Gone DRM-Free
« on: August 26, 2015, 02:04:02 PM »
GOG.com has a couple of Bethesda bundles ready to trade for your favorite form of currency.

Bethesda (Soft)works its way to GOG.com is the article.

Essentially:

Buy the Morrowind/Redguard/Battlespire bundle and you'll get Arena and Daggerfall for free. Actually...

To make the day even sweeter, The Elder Scrolls: Arena and The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall will be added to your game shelf entirely for free when you buy any Bethesda game.

Then you have the id bundle, which includes Ultimate Doom, Doom 2, and Quake plus the mission packs.

What will make most people happy, however, is that Fallout's back on GOG. That's Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout Tactics.

The bundle offers end on September 2nd, so get shopping.
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
Re: Well. Bethesda's Finally Gone DRM-Free
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 04:16:12 PM »
Interesting proposal, especially since Daggerfall and Arena have been free for a long time and not even linked to buying something (one had only to download them from Beth site).

However I guess GOG made their best to make the titles work out of the box on modern systems (because Beth previously didn't do any effort on that part, it was "download the thing but you figure it out).

So that was the deal? The reason why the Fallout series wasn't on GOG anymore while it has been brought back to Steam a long time ago? Sell all of our titles or none (that and of course the release of Fallout 4 in a couple of months so it wouldn't do to ignore any distribution channel for the Fallout series)? Well, they really did "soft"work their way  :lol: Still I can finally buy a digital copy of Morrowind and give my old CDs/DVDs a rest (note that I could have bought it on Steam a long time ago but for some reason, buying old games from Steam feels wrong to me -- before GOG exist Steam didn't even sell any old game and they certainly don't go out of their ways to adapt old games to new systems unless the original developer makes the effort).

PS: Holy crap! 20 Euros just for Morrowind? I know the thing was a huge success but for God's sake it's a 13 years old title... For that price I can get most games from two years ago. Hell, I bought Wolfenstein: The New Order (published by Bethesda by the way) for the same price. Before, GOG only had two prices $10 and $6. Following the old scheme, Morrowind would have been sold $10. But under the pressure of other publishers pushing for it, GOG was forced to open to a whole new range of prices and that's what one gets as a result. Some people really do know how to milk the golden goose... they can also kill it pushing to far. The shame here is that most people who will buy Morrowind from GOG won't be new gamers to the franchise but people who already paid for their copy of Morrowind between one and three times since 2002 (possibly they bought the original edition then the GOTY edition... at the very least).

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 10:56:59 PM »
Daggerfall and Arena...well, no money to be made off 'em, so they might as well be free. Let the poor bastards out there think they're a "gift"... :P

Now, I wouldn't buy any of these games from Steam, except Morrowind; MW is just recent enough not to need a source port (id titles, I'm looking at YOU) or DOSBox, but it still takes some effort to get it right. Steam is "here it is...if it crashes, we don't know you." At least GOG gets them working. But even so, these prices are a bit steep for such old games. More of Bethesda's influence, I'll bet.

The Fallout games, individually, are $9.99 each. But in the bundle, they're $3.33 each, which kind of irritates me. I don't want Fallout Tactics, but then again I wonder: will I really play FO1 and FO2 if I had them? I recall playing a few minutes of the first game and not liking it very much (killed by a rat. so humiliating.)...so I think I'll hold off on that.

I am interested in Redguard, though; I had the demo years ago but never tried it. So I may just get Redguard and Battlespire, get the first two TES for free, and forget about buying MW a THIRD friggin' time. Not for such a ridiculous price. That I don't have to screw around with DOSBox *myself* to get them to work is a plus. I've always been a frim believer in "calling The Guy." You know: "The roof blew off the house in the last storm. I'll call The Guy to fix it."

As for the id games? I just don't know. I'll have to give that some thought. Certainly overpriced, though. Damned bloodsucking greedy maggot publishers...
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline bobdog

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 07:18:58 AM »
I remember wanting to play the Redguard demo but I didn't have the same graphics card, so my machine wouldn't do it. I just read the reviews associated with the GOG version and one of them states that the game is still not really optimized and will stutter. I think I'll have to pass on it again.

Battlespire just looks like crap, graphically -- as bad as Arena. Now, I loved Arena back in the day, but to go back to that pixellated mess now would be too hard for me.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 12:46:53 PM »
Damned bloodsucking greedy maggot publishers...

More like greedy maggot Bethesda. Look at Fallout 4. You can pre-order the thing but you get absolutely nothing for doing so. No discount, not even a tiny bonus (unless you pre-order from 3 specific retailers -- Steam is not part of them). The smug bastards are so sure their game will sell that they don't even bother anymore. Sad part... they're right, their game will sell. But even so, I don't know... not even a gesture for people who pre-order?

Well as far as I'm concerned that only means I'll buy it when it is released or when they decide for a better pre-order deal on Steam (but they only have two months left for that so no miracle to expect).

Well at least, it's nice to see a company that doesn't need to run everywhere to find money scraps. Because everything seems to point out the fact that they don't really need the money.

As a side note, I sure do expect that Fallout 4 won't look as crappy as the trailer they released because when you look at the minimum requirements... Does the trailer gives you the feeling that it's a game that requires at least 6GB of RAM and a GTX 660 to run? Globally the requirements are the same than The Wicther 3 ones so if it's all the quality they can give in exchange I say crap. Come on, seeing the trailer one doesn't exactly see the visual difference with New Vegas. Let's hope it was a low-res trailer shot with all the options turned off.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 12:58:59 PM by Starfox »

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 08:36:52 AM »
I was kind of wondering what the incentives for pre-ordering were...turns out, the only bonus we get is the privilege of buying the game.  ::)

I read one article saying that Fallout 4 was going to be bigger than Skyrim, of course. That's a given, but do we really need these guys turning into rock stars? Can Todd Howard handle being bigger than Jesus? Okay, yes...he probably can, I think. Bad example.

At least with all that cash they're not having to beg for money. I'd hate to see the post about the Kickstarter for TES 6 failing miserably.

The trailer made me think that maybe they were using XBox footage. I *hope* they were using XBox footage, otherwise getting a new video card just to meet the sys reqs is going to be a pyrrhic victory, at best. "It runs well, but cheese 'n' crackers does it look like dog dirt."

I played around a bit with Arena and Daggerfall; nothing beyond chargen, but it was just enough to think that maybe I'm gonna get a headache from playing them. Fraps didn't pick up any screenshots I tried to take (but of course), so try to imagine low-res message boxes with light-colored, jagged fonts on a light-colored background, blown up to 1920x1080. I felt the need to push my chair back a few feet just to make sense of the text.

Secondly, I'm glad they dropped the pseudo-medieval lingo by Morrowind. Asking me questions like "what is thy choice?" is like nails on chalkboard to my poor abused nerves.

everything