Author Topic: The Fallout 4 Thread...Well, Not THE Thread, But...*sigh* [Spoilers inside]  (Read 4635 times)

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
Re: The Fallout 4 Thread...Well, Not THE Thread, But...*sigh* [Spoilers inside]
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2015, 10:02:01 AM »
And don't ask me what kind of stealth it is because I never played a MSG game

The first few Metal Gear games relied on basic line-of-sight style stealth.  You avoided detection by either staying out of enemies' vision cones or obstructing their view of you (hiding behind cover, under a vehicle, in a cardboard box, etc).  It got a little better with Metal Gear Solid 3, which introduced camouflage, but the system for doing so was cumbersome (pause the game, go into a menu, select your camouflage, go into another menu, select your face paint).  The process was streamlined with Metal Gear Solid 4, which went high-tech with it (all you had to do was stay still a few seconds and your suit would automatically shift to the appropriate camouflage), but now they've abandoned all that and gone back to line-of-sight stealth for Metal Gear Solid V:ss-nono
Roads?  Where we're going we don't need roads.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2015, 12:57:16 PM »
Sounds to me the kind of stealth considerably less interesting than Thief... or Splinter Cell... or even Alpha Protocol. Nothing to get all worked up about at any rate. For me LOS stealth has always been the most basic stealth one can imagine.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2015, 03:28:44 PM »
Which is why the removal of the camouflage system was so disappointing to me.  I can't think of another stealth game that uses one, and now there are none (so to speak).

Still, the gameplay of the Metal Gear franchise has gotten better with each release, even though the story (with the exception of MGS3) has gotten worse.  I was quite impressed with Ground Zeroes (despite being a demo in game's clothing), but was wise enough to steer clear of The Phantom Pain.
Roads?  Where we're going we don't need roads.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2015, 01:30:57 AM »
The guy at Forbes hit the nail (heavy warning: do not read his article until the end because there's a spoiler about relationships in The Witcher 3 -- it's bad assuming you want your TW3 experience spoiler free). Actually he gives me the words I've been looking for my own review for more than a week "half-baked". That's the words to use if Fallout 4 had to be described shortly. Sure he's only talking about the relationship system but the whole game is like that, half-baked. Even the main component, the settlement management is half-baked.

And that's Bethesda fault entirely. They could have taken one more year to get the things in order and straight. As usual, they announced the game existed 3 months before its release. They wouldn't have said anything we'd still be talking about something else and they would be free to fix what needs fixing -- and that's a lot even for a Bethesda game. They didn't have public pressure to push them to release a half-baked game.

The first patch was issued more than a week ago. Didn't noticed it? Well that's normal because it fixed nothing. the only real bug it claimed to fix was not really fixed. See, with the new idiotic hacking animation, sometime people found themselves stuck in an endless loop as the game was trying to fit the character in front of a computer terminal without quite managing it. So Bethesda went and "fix" it so now when that happens the game simply ignore the terminal after a while. Yay, you're not stuck anymore, you cannot access the terminal, that's all.

Even the patch is half-baked.

The choice of what to animate is ridiculous anyway. When you begin the game the character sips his/her coffee without even touching the cup. But Bethesda took great care to create a special animation so you can admire the pipboy from multiple angles (that only works with the mouse not a controller, hold the right button and move the mouse in pipboy view). Interest of the thing? None. I discovered it myself completely by accident.

But the saddest thing is to see people actually crediting Bethesda for having progressive views just because it's a side effect of a half-baked system. It's like encouraging them to be even worse in the future. There's no particular view on polyamory in there, it's just the same as Dragon Age 2 where every companion was bisexual because... why try harder?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 01:47:47 AM by Starfox »

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2015, 03:09:14 AM »
Trying again. Third time, I think. "Crafting" my character, through a judicious...distribution...of perks and such.

That is, outright cheating. I can justify it, though: I cheat because I can.  :evil1:

But seriously...what is the deal with the settlements and MY stuff?? Bethesda made no attempt whatsoever to allow the player to mark items -- beds, containers -- as owned, so if I should remake my little home into Silver's Central Command Center, I will still be kicked out of bed by a random nameless settler who needs a nap. Hell's bells.

So I guess the idea is to acquire a home (in Diamond City, perhaps), and store all my crap there. It really is a pain in the ass, since I was under the impression that whatever I built was *mine*, and not an open invitation to the rabble of the Commonwealth to waltz in and take whatever they like, whenever they like.

Supplemental Reading: Why I Restarted Fallout 4 And Began Completely Ignoring Settlements

I'm going to roll back to an earlier save and say to hell with settlements, just like I avoided the stupid dog in my last attempt.

Btw, "harridan"? One of my favorite words.  :lol:
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2015, 04:18:12 PM »
Well. I had gone through a serious amount of time in facegen to create a character that was somewhat believable.

Shortly thereafter, I had to do some tinkering with Skyrim to bring a few things up to speed (it's a long, painfully boring story involving how much NMM sucks, so never mind for now), and I saw one of my presets.

I got kind of depressed.

What with the tools and mods and all, it'll probably take me a good four years to get my FO4 up to my Skyrim's standards, and I don't see myself messing with this damned game in 4 years' time.

And then there's the inevitable, endless array of body mods, textures, clothing conversions, and so on and so on and so on...

I think my time may be best spent trying to replace all of my tattered Asterix books with new hardcover editions. Everyone needs a real world hobby, right? And after I spend a few hundred dollars doing that, then it's on to reviving my Tintin collection!

Of course, there's always the option of going back to school and learning how to fix air conditioners. I mean, I hate summer -- not in the way I hate winter, no. Boy, do I hate winter -- so learning how to fix a bum AC unit is wedged right into my wheelhouse, right? Right. But I'd probably have to learn about electricity and stuff, and maybe a bit about how to talk to people without grabbing their shirt collar and screaming into their face like a psycho...you know, work on the ol' people skills a bit. It's too much work. I guess all I can hope for is a kind family member tossing a few shovelfuls of lime into my room before they seal my door shut.
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2015, 08:30:17 PM »
Supplemental Reading: Why I Restarted Fallout 4 And Began Completely Ignoring Settlements

I agree with the article. Settlements are killing the game. They disrupt the story, forcing you to spend a considerable amount of time managing them. And the worst part is, if you follow the Minutemen faction, you're forced to build new settlements that augment your "workload".

More intelligent option that should have been adopted by Bethesda: focus on one settlement only that could be build (or rebuild -- Sanctuary Hills would have been an obvious choice) from A to Z even creating your own faction. A bit like Bloodmoon Raven Rock but with you in charge of the construction. There was truly no need for a gazillion of settlements seeing as they don't add anything worthy to the game. Only real use is if you intend to plant an artillery gun in each of them so you can have fire support practically anywhere in the Commonwealth. However this is fun for a couple of minutes after which point you realize that artillery support is largely worthless in the game. Remove the building limit on Sanctuary, add the possibility of a player's faction turn the other settlements in just outposts for crafting (which you can already do if you ignore Minutemen settlement quests and never build a recruiting beacon anywhere -- which effectively puts an end to the Minutemen but no matter) and you obtain something much more worthy of a true RPG and not a half-baked RTS.

Plus, focusing on just one settlement would have allowed the devs to refine the building process so it would not be as idiotic as it currently is. And it would have allowed players to focus most of their time on the story instead of the building.

So there, it's not a matter of "the settlements system should not exist" but rather "it should not exist in its current state".

But seriously...what is the deal with the settlements and MY stuff??

I had the same problem all along. Seriously with all the time one spends building settlements for a bunch of moronic ungrateful settlers who want always more (maybe a shot taken at the fans?), you'd think you'd be allowed to feel at home somewhere but no, you're mostly treated like a stranger even in settlement you build from scratch. The possibility to mark furniture as "player's owned" would certainly have been nice.

I finally totally enclosed a corner of Sanctuary hills so even me had to climb a stair and pass by some roofs to gain access. I put two wooden prefab shacks in it (a small one for storage and the other for the crafting stations and a bed). That's working, mostly. Occasionally a companion still finds a way to get there, I don't even know how seeing as the only access is tortuous.

Edit: Oh well, it's not always but that still happens. Apparently the system mostly completely ignores that my part of the settlement is unreachable by normal means and populates it when I'm away (best case with some companion and worst case with an idiotic settler -- I swear, next time I find a standard settler in my bed I sandman him especially because there are 18 f.. beds in the settlement and half of them are still unoccupied and more easily accessed than mine -- what's wrong with this game? Oh.so.many.things!).
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 09:20:42 PM by Starfox »