Author Topic: Skyrim Remastered... Should we be worried?  (Read 849 times)

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
Skyrim Remastered... Should we be worried?
« on: July 12, 2016, 07:02:42 PM »
So yeah, as most of you may have heard, Bethesda will be releasing an "enhanced" edition of Skyrim next October just called The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim - Special Edition. This edition will be free for PC gamers if (and only if) they already own Skyrim and all of the DLCs (meaning, Dawnguard, Dragonbone and Hearthfire). This remastered edition includes higher resolution textures, better graphics and claimed fixes for the many bugs that were still in the game after the last official patch.

Thing is, from what official videos I've seen, if you take normal Skyrim then download one of the numerous fan-made high resolution patch, a tasteless version of ENB and of course the 4 unofficial patches for Skyrim and its DLCs, you'll probably obtain a thing close enough to the remastered edition (possibly the only thing Bethesda did that modders couldn't was to include the Fallout 4 engine but as Bethesda never claimed this particular change it's hard to know if they even went this extra-mile). The videos "could" be Skyrim running on the upgraded Fallout 4 engine. Graphic similarities are certainly there. Anyway when asked if existing mods would be compatible with the Special Edition (which will be 64 bits like Fallout4), Bethesda anwered: "basically, yes". A lot of mods will need a 64 bit version of SKSE though.

Comparison available on Youtube.

But all of that is not what got me worried. Skyrim release was six years ago. By all count of the normal delays between games, The Elder Scrolls 6 should be right around the corner. Instead Bethesda announced more DLCs than originally planned for (the so-so) Fallout 4 and a remastered Skyrim? Well that's kind of fishy. Either they can't complete a TES 6 or this is a clever commercial preparation for the big announcement.

Thing can go either way so... well.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
Re: Skyrim Remastered... Should we be worried?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 02:51:39 AM »
I'm just glad they're not looking at the modding community for clues on how to "enhance" Skyrim. The patch release notes would be amusing, however:

Bug: the tits weren't big enough.
Bugfix: the tits were made bigger.

It's all console-related, anyway. The console kiddies wanted Skyrim for their adorable little gaming platforms, and they got it. Now they'll be able to run mods, too. Since Bethesda obviously cannot tell their asses from their elbows (as evidenced by how they've mishandled their own Bethesda.net thing and the rampant mod piracy going on), this is a very bad idea.

Still, how vital is the idea of being able to play Skyrim with mods on a PS4? The game's practically ancient to the target audience, so...why?

Well, anyway.

I agree, though; their timeline troubles me. The last (so they claim) DLC for FO4 is due in August (Nuka-World), with another piddly-ass DLC of no consequence (Vault-Tec Workshop) coming out later this month. And then? Well. They say they have a couple of big projects in the works, and the next TES game isn't achievable just yet, because the technology just isn't there. Hmmm.

Todd Howard interview. About 2:40 is when they talk about TES VI.
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 09:52:26 AM »
I really don't see what he's talking about when evoking "technologies we don't have right now"... Unless they want to go VR (and for that you need a game performing a solid 90 fps at all time -- which is why most VR titles currently available graphically look like crap from 10 years ago; 25 years ago for some). I can't imagine A TES game running VR on today hardware. Aside from that I don't really see what kind of "miracle" technology they expect in the foreseeable future. Aside from VR in the five coming years there's nothing "revolutionary" planned. Sure they are always things in development in Silicon Valley but either these things are already known because they will be made available in the coming years or they are so far off in the future that's it's not worth talking about now (and when I say far off I'm talking about 10 to 20 years).

So are they really waiting for a mind blowing opportunity or is that a convenient excuse? Or maybe they just intend to focus on Bethesda.net with Skyrim as a test in order to (just got a vision of nightmare right now) make TES 6 with mods exclusively available from Bethesda.net... chilling thought.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 11:01:49 AM »
VR headsets with a haptic interface, perhaps. Virtual wood elves...*shudder*...

They've always been very cagey about their games, so yeah, I think it's just a convenient excuse to avoid specifics. ("I'd tell you, but you wouldn't believe it.") Plus, after all the crap he's taken just for his "it just works" comment, I wouldn't be surprised if he never gives anyone a straight answer again.

"The Elder Scrolls, you say?? Never heard of them. Also, I cannot confirm nor deny that I had Cap'n Crunch for breakfast."

Oh, who am I kidding? He'd never say that himself. That's why they have Pete Hines.

I just hope we won't have to install Bethesda.net with TES 6 just to run mods in OF COURSE we'll have to install it to run mods. :ss-shootme

To quote Rowan Atkinson: "I would trust [them] to sit the right way on a toilet seat."
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

everything