Author Topic: Random Babbling, 2016 Edition  (Read 4400 times)

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Re: Random Babbling, 2016 Edition
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2016, 08:56:13 AM »
So...Gene Wilder dies, but the biggest news is what a bunch of no-talent shitheads wore to an irrelevant awards show?

Does anyone else's stomach hurt?
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2016, 01:52:01 PM »
WARNING: TYPICALLY OFFENSIVE MATERIAL AHEAD!

I was trying to remember some of my favorite tasteless jokes...but since my head is like a sieve, I could only remember a few. And none of these are well and truly offensive, but...well, you never know with people. So. Even though they're somewhat mild, you still can't tell 'em in...well, ANY sort of company these days.  :'(

What do you call a guy who's a quadruple amputee, laying in a pile of leaves?

Russell.

What do you call a guy who's a quadruple amputee with a speech impediment, laying on the bottom of a pool?

Dwayne.

What so you call a woman with only one leg?

Eileen.

And where does she work?

At the IHOP.

Let's see...hmmm....

Did you hear about the German-Chinese restaurant?

An hour after you eat, you're hungry for power.

Throwaway line: ...on the menu at the cannibal Mexican restaurant: refried beings.

Mommy, Mommy...

"Mommy, mommy! Why do I keep running in a circle?"

"Shut up or I'll nail your other foot to the floor."

I have more, but good grief they're offensive. :vacation:

However. I give you the creation of a childhood friend, who was a damned quirky son of a bitch...tell you what, I'll hide the punchline in spoilers, since it is rather...eh...tasteless? *cough*

"Mommy, mommy! This tastes really bad!"

"Shut up and keep licking."

And there you have it. Instead of being useful, I'm just jotting down what's been festering in my head since junior high school.
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline bobdog

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2016, 03:07:31 PM »
Those are bad, bad, bad. But OH so good!  :funup:

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2016, 06:39:42 PM »
Someone somewhere launched the expression "Cold War 2.0". Well, I like that one especially considering Cold War-era Russian bombers making the grand tour around Europe in a clear double Cold War-era style mission: trying to impress us while gathering electronic intelligence.

And clearly we're stupid enough to fall for it. I mean they passed by Norway, Scotland, Ireland, France and Spain being intercepted by top fighters of each country which were more than happy to let Russians experts record their radars electronic signatures. Which means that now they can develop efficient ECMs.

Last week they did the same with Iceland... Yep, because there's a NATO base there (possibly the biggest in North Atlantic).

And I'm not counting several other similar flights during the past months.

Ahhh, I thought we left these idiocies behind us more than 20 years ago but apparently, nope... It's great to see Putin keeping up with traditions... Great to see us sticking by them as well. Really, was there any need for B52s and F22s sent to the Russian border in a clear threatening stance? We all know what this kind of sabre rattling sounds give... we heard them before (at least those of us who went through the Cold War-era). The biggest thing it finally amounted to was Operation RyAN and Able-Archer 83 (come to think of it back then Putin was possibly still a young KGB officer -- some kind of nostalgia struck him maybe?).

Russia: 8,000 nuclear warheads still in service; USA: more than 7,000 nuclear warheads still in service and the third country by the number is...France (I know kind of silly yeah?) with 392 (we're small players). But that means there are still plenty of possibilities for a good old fashion West-East showdown.

Fallout 5 may not happen at all... Which would be a relief if Fallout 4 was any indication of things to come :biglaugh:

So now, can we stop the pissing contest? There are better things to focus on going forward...

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2016, 01:14:30 AM »
...Putin...Trump...Clinton... Kardashian...

...I'd like to volunteer for that colonization of Mars thing. A one-way package with no hope of ever returning? Yes, please!

I'm gonna grow bananas on Mars. :bananaparty:

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2016, 02:27:12 AM »
Clive Barker's Undying: retro irritation. Wasn't fun 15 years ago, not fun today.

The most fun I've had with it is figuring out why it was asking me to insert a CD in the drive, even though it's supposed to be DRM-free. Way to go, GOG...you missed some code in there somewhere. The solution is not to pay attention to what GOG says ("run as administrator!"); what worked for me was to put a CD in the drive, any CD.

Skyrim, meanwhile, I never want to play again. Spent three days trying to figure out why my custom races all had glowing orange necks. Turns out it may have been a bad normal map. Now I'm up to two Tagamets a day. Thank you very much, author of Fair Skin textures. I'll see you in Hell.

Ultimate solution to any potential neck seam issues: high collars.

Fallout 4 bores the living snot out of me. (By the time I have a character I'm happy with, I've played the game at least five times already.) Most of the mods being released are just plain stupid. Kinda wonder what the whole deal is with mods if 99% of them are crap.

This is the best I could come up with recently.

I think it's time to give up on FO4.

Torchlight 2: revisitation. Far East Expansion packs. Kinda boring after two full playthroughs in a row.

Troubles In Haiku, vol. 1

Gas bubble in chest
Was shrinking...but neighbor's dog
Is now going nuts

Apparently I'm not suffering enough lately. In a fit of pique the other day, I told the universe to go fuck itself.

Also: Ariel Winter looks like she's one fart away from a Denimpocalypse.

"Hold it in...hold it in..."

I worry about the people behind her. They'll be the first to die.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 01:33:38 PM by Silver Sorrow »

Offline SlyFoxx

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2016, 06:49:52 PM »
I don't have much to say except, happy Halloween everybody.  I love the seasonal forum skin.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2016, 09:39:38 AM »
Hey, SlyFoxx! Thanks for the appreciation. Happy Halloween to you too.

And while we're on the subject of Halloween, here a little something regarding Fallout 4 (and it's possibly the most fun that can be had with this game).

Kinda wonder what the whole deal is with mods if 99% of them are crap.

Well, I didn't really get into F4 modding and it's the Bethesda game for which I have the less mods installed (and mostly they are mods trying to alleviate the game problems). But anyway, mods for F4 mirror the switch in Fallout target audience that Bethesda initiated: First Person Shooter lovers not really interested in an intricate story. You got to admit, shooting stuff is what Fallout 4 does best. Sadly it's about the only thing it does really right.

The most fun I've had with it is figuring out why it was asking me to insert a CD in the drive, even though it's supposed to be DRM-free. Way to go, GOG...you missed some code in there somewhere. The solution is not to pay attention to what GOG says ("run as administrator!"); what worked for me was to put a CD in the drive, any CD.

I know that one. Already happened to me with another game and generally it's for the same reason. It happens with games you had previously installed in a non GOG version and had a shitty driver based DRM. When you uninstall the game and install the GOG version the DRM files from the previous installation remain along with some registry entries and somehow the GOG version refer to those old files which triggers the CD thing. Getting rid of or disabling the old DRM drivers and/or deleting the old registry entries is generally the way to go, if you can find them (in my case deleting the old registry entries was enough but that was for another game so I can't give you pointers regarding Undying -- although you could start by doing a registry search for anything related to "undying" or "Clive barker" especially entries that are pointing to old installation paths delete them then reinstall the GOG version). That may be too much work too... depends on what the game is worth.

Started to play Skyrim SE a couple of days ago... So far, not particularly impressed with the changes. The gameplay is simply good old Skyrim so no special complaints and I still have fun with it... Visuals are "meh" but appreciation mainly depends on taste I suppose -- and I don't like grayish snow, sorry. And all the bugs are back (you know the gazillion of little things that got rectified by the unofficial patches?). Apparently Bethesda considered those were not worthy of their attention. So that triggers the question. WHICH bugs did they correct? As apparently that was part of the Special Edition according to their own claim.

What worries people the most currently is the official announcement that the team behind SkyUI won't be porting their mod to the Special Edition although they are not opposed to someone else doing it. Which means, no SkyUI and most importantly, no MCM (which a lot of interesting mods rely upon). Unless someone decides to take over the flame the modding situation in Skyrim SE will become rapidly quite bland. Frankly if I had to choose right now between the mods and the new fancy visuals I'm experiencing, I'd choose the mods.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2016, 11:31:43 AM »
Bugs, bugs, bugs and bugs... Every single bug that was ever corrected by the unofficial patch is back in Skyrim SE. Which means that Bethesda didn't even care to correct a single of the many bugs the previous official version of Skyrim still had. I even seem to run in a couple of new bugs (at least I didn't remember having them back in the day). I can understand if Bethesda didn't want to include mods with this edition of the game but they could have at least included the work done by others on bug fixing that they couldn't care doing. At some point it's becoming ridiculous running into a gazillion of bugs that you thought were gone forever.

Yeah I'm aware that there is an unofficial patch for Skyrim SE... however my point is that this patch shouldn't even be needed if Bethesda had done what they said they did for the Special Edition: fix the bugs that were still in the previous edition of Skyrim.

Those bugs were all documented 5 years ago for God sake. All it required from Bethesda was to include the unofficial patch. Didn't even need to do the damn work. Modders already did it for them.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2016, 09:00:32 AM »
HAPPY HALLO--

--oh. Wait. What? Missed again. :hammerhead:

They ignored the worst bug of all:

The fact that no one involved with Bethesda has any sense of aesthetics whatsoever. Everything about TES at least since MW has been a tribute to ugly.

Modders already did it for them.

I wonder if they find that particularly galling; someone else fixes (most of) the problems with the game they thought was the pinnacle of their (alleged) creativity, and as a result they ignore all the improvements out of pure spite.

Plus, it seems that this is yet another irksome attempt in their wholly misguided ongoing efforts to force the player to stay within their Bethesda.net amusement park. Unapproved mods are the equivalent of knocking on Aventus Arentino's door to ask him to come out and play, apparently. "Download mods! But not from an external source! We're the only friends you need!"

(This whole thing reminds me of being on AOL: they didn't like it one bit if you ventured beyond their tinkly-winkly fairy-wairy land into the unnameable horrors of...gasp!...The Internet. No! Don't go into the woods! Everything you need is right here...with us.)

When you uninstall the game and install the GOG version the DRM files from the previous installation remain along with some registry entries and somehow the GOG version refer to those old files which triggers the CD thing.

I wonder if some of the DRM remnants were left over from an earlier GOG version I installed, and they fixed it in the interim. Or to add to the confusion -- and this may be yet another variable worth ripping out great handfuls of hair over -- my CD drive may be failing. I've already had a three-year-old power supply fail, so why not the blu-ray drive I've had for twice as long?

:computerfix:

Which means, no SkyUI and most importantly, no MCM (which a lot of interesting mods rely upon).

I don't really blame them for not wanting to go through all that again, but...oh, well. Worse still, there's a problem with SKSE and the special edition. Quoting them:

Skyrim Special Edition has been released, and the original SKSE will not work with it. We are currently investigating the application to create a SKSE64 build for the Special Edition. This will not be a fast process. The update to 64-bits means a lot of investigation and changes. Much like the work that has gone into F4SE this will take a tremendous amount of effort. We appreciate your patience while this work continues. We have no timeline for a release.

I think they were about to commit mass suicide over the bizarre patching schedule of F4, so this has to be a nightmare for them.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2016, 04:05:56 PM »
Oh, right. Yesterday was N7 Day. Yet another year where they tell us that we don't have long to wait for the next disappointment in the Mass Effect series. Although Casey Hudson isn't involved, which means the writing quality will be 100% better.

Today, however, is Election Day. (No, this is not a Japanese sex holiday, to make an insensitive racist remark.) Vote your conscience. If you're into just choosing between the Big Two, it all comes down to how you want America to end: a bang? a whimper?

There is a third choice, however. Likely they won't win, but will put a dent in the final results.

Unless I missed it, there has been no outrage over the most pressing issue of all...to me, at least. I certainly hope that my choice is the one who will guarantee the return of the incandescent light bulb.

I mean, there are other issues, certainly...but that's the one that concerns me a lot. I have no idea why. I can go days without giving a fig for lightbulbs, but...okay, I'm also sort of distracted by this swarm of gnats that just won't go away and I kill them one by one but there's always one...ONE...little bastard that taunts me. (I remain hopeful that it will become so lonely that it commits suicide out of sheer despair.) And how did they get so fast? Or how did I get so slow? I'm convinced that God is an insect and the flies are Her chosen...not the Jews, not the Arabs, and certainly not the dispirited white guys of the world. A seething, angry, Triune wasp just itching to...or worse yet, a spider. A giant spider in the sky, our souls sticking to the ethereal Web, stuck tight, waiting for Her to feed on us...

...if it wasn't obvious, I spend a lot of time alone with my thoughts.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2016, 07:24:13 PM »
Although Casey Hudson isn't involved, which means the writing quality will be 100% better.

That's terrible when you think about it... The guy made just one error during his time at Bioware but this was definitely the wrong one to make... He botched the end of the Mass Effect series.

And since then he has been considered by gamers as the black sheep of video gaming. Now he is creative director at Microsoft Studios and everybody goes... "Microsoft is screwed! The Xbox One will be no more!"

I think that the fact he was also director on Mass Effect 1 and 2 made it all the more difficult to swallow...

it all comes down to how you want America to end: a bang? a whimper?

I don't know why but as soon as I put the notions of Donald Trump and nuclear codes together I can't help but picture Max (from Sam and Max) and his little fluffy white fingers reaching forward while he's screaming "Gimme the codes! Gimme the codes!"

Oh, boy... Trump is probably a fan of Max isn't he? He has the episode where Max becomes POTUS running in loop.

Let's America be great again... with lots of guns... and let's piss off our allies while we're at it because, you know... who needs them?

Although if what we learned from Clinton's emails is any indication it seems that regarding America allies she's better... but not by far...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 09:39:56 PM by Starfox »

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2016, 08:12:02 PM »
That's terrible when you think about it...

True; this is the problem with letting certain people have a free hand. Poor bastard screwed himself AND the series. And Mac Walters was guilty, at least in a "dedicated henchman" kind of way. Allegedly, Patrick Weekes said:

You have to understand. Casey is really smart and really analytical. And the problem is that when he's not checked, he will assume that other people are like him, and will really appreciate an almost completely unemotional intellectual ending.

On a side note, Andromeda's scheduled for "spring 2017"...I will not be holding my breath.

I don't know why but as soon as I put the notions of Donald Trump and nuclear codes together I can't help but picture Max (from Sam and Max) and his little fluffy white fingers reaching forward while he's screaming "Gimme the codes! Gimme the codes!"

Exactly.  :ok:

So...Trump's now President Elect. I announced that to my mother this morning, and she said "I was in a good mood, and you gotta tell me that??"

I asked, "What, you'd prefer it was Hillary?"

She conceded the point. (She's not exactly a fan of the Clintons, to put it mildly.)

Personally, I'd prefer it had been the Libertarian...uh...whatsisnam e...but oh, well.

Between Trump's batshit diplomacy style (shotgun blast to the testicles) and Hillary's pseudo-intellectual disdain for the military and security, it's clear a lot of people are going to die at some point.

Still no word on those lightbulbs, though. :mad1:

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2016, 11:45:29 PM »
So...Trump's now President Elect.

His first speech as President Elect was surprisingly mellow compared to the rest of his campaign. Somehow it's like he suddenly realized he was going to be President and he really needed to cut on the crap. Or maybe he just couldn't bother to write the speech himself. Where was the "If I'm elected I'll put Clinton in jail"? I'm waiting to see that.

As far as it goes for us abroad we have no stake in the US internal policy (that's strictly American people business) but we're all waiting to see what he's going to do internationally now that he is elected. In Europe most Presidents, Chancellors and whatnot really hunker down because a lot of what has been said during his campaign wasn't particularly pleasant to hear. But more than that: we don't even know what his foreign policy program is. Sure he talked a lot but that's it. At no point he presented a viable program to deal with the world outside the US (I don't even think he presented a viable program to deal with the US). 

Let's say that he is the first American President to not be exactly welcomed on the international scene with two notable exceptions... The British Prime Minister because she hopes he will facilitate the Brexit by pressuring Europe so we give her a better exit deal and that he will have a privileged commercial relationship with UK (while Obama was pretty clear that the advantage for the US was to negotiate with a bunch of partners like Europe and not isolated countries). Then there is Putin that applauded the election results with both hands...  Unlike most other nations, Trump was Putin's favorite. I don't know exactly what is the deal between those two... Maybe Putin just analyzed Trump as the political equivalent of a FNG considering his complete lack of knowledge of the realities of international politics and maybe he thinks that makes of Trump a perfect target for manipulation -- something that Trump should really keep in mind... Putin is ex-KGB and when it comes to spies circles there's no such thing like "ex". One thing's sure, whether he is right or not Putin thinks it could be advantageous for him to deal with Trump... he certainly wouldn't have liked to deal with Clinton.

Then there are other international matters, China and his position regarding the China Sea, North Korea which threaten to cover us with nuclear doom every couple of weeks -- and have kind of a way to make good on at least a part of their threats --, the ISIS problem which is far to be over in Syria and Iraq and then the aftermath of the ISIS problem which will be a real havoc, Iran who started by welcoming the new President with "We don't care who is President of the US, as long as you don't f... with us we won't have a problem". Ukraine and the Syria rebels but that's part of the Putin dilemma. Not to mention the other gazillion of little things less preoccupying but still in the agenda. I hope Trump realizes that the world is the US plus 194 other countries.

The beginning of next year will definitely be interesting; I predict a hot summer... with storms. 

Frankly I think one has to be completely mad to want to be POTUS right now considering the world situation. I certainly wouldn't want the job.

But maybe Republicans have another agenda now that he is elected... impeachment and replacement by Pence.... maybe? From what I understood Republicans themselves are not really fond of him... even Bush father and son voted blank which is kind of telling.

She's not exactly a fan of the Clintons, to put it mildly.

I'm not really a fan of Hillary Clinton myself, I find her cold, calculating, unsympathetic and too busy with her own image which certainly contributed to her downfall. Add to that the fact she's been in politics for more than 30 years all the time in rather high functions and still, nothing changed. I can understand the American people if they couldn't see her changing anything now. Still she has the experience that Trump is completely lacking, especially internationally. The world is not exactly in a state where we can wait for POTUS getting orientated for a year because of a lack of knowledge. There's too many critical things happening right now. He has three months to learn all the ropes, that's it. Diplomacy is not exactly the same as real estate or reality TV even though there may seem to be some resemblance between all those.

But it's neither here nor there. The People has spoken, now we all have to deal with it. That's democracy. And who knows, Trump may suddenly  be up to the challenge and be the best President the US ever had... No, that's not sarcastic in any way that's just me desperately hoping. Not only for the sake of the US but the world.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 03:12:04 AM by Starfox »

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2016, 03:22:08 AM »
You have to understand. Casey is really smart and really analytical. And the problem is that when he's not checked, he will assume that other people are like him, and will really appreciate an almost completely unemotional intellectual ending.

Another lecture of that quote would be: "You're all too dumb to understand how profound and intricate the ending was, but it's not Casey's fault if he's smarter than you!"

:funup:

I will not be holding my breath.

Me neither.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 03:26:41 AM by Starfox »

everything