Author Topic: Random Babbling, 2016 Edition  (Read 4556 times)

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Re: Random Babbling, 2016 Edition
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2016, 10:36:54 PM »
Overheard Recently:

"That fat stupid bitch just wrecked 'O Holy Night'!"

From what I could ascertain, "that fat stupid bitch" refers to Mariah Carey. And I know this to be correct as, well, it was me said it in the first place. Which leads me to yet another of life's Unavoidable Truths:

Mariah Carey can't sing.

She can't. She may have a five-octave range, but I maintain that someone who hits every goddamn note available to the human voice just in the first line of the song may have a severe deficiency of talent...or a lack of taste, at the very least. It's supposed to be impressive or something, this idiotic penchant r&b singers have of demolishing any given song. I'd be more impressed if she actually sang it like a human being would.

And another thing, for the holiday cable music channel: Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" is not, repeat NOT, a Christmas song. Even if it was covered by those slapnads Pentatonix and put on their Christmas album. Dickheads.

While I'm ranting, I'd like to say that if those entitled millennial idiots in the food service industry want minimum wage increased to $15 an hour, then they should redouble their efforts to not consistently fuck up my order.

See, it's these minor-league concerns that keep me from thinking about the implications of what Martin Freeman said in an interview yesterday. The host of the show mentioned that Freeman is a "subject" of the British Empire, and Freeman retorted that it's a lot better than what we (Americans) will be in January. I couldn't help but agree...here I am thinking: serfs. Best case scenario: we're eventually gonna be target practice for the rich.   :ss-ahhhh :xrifle:
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2016, 03:05:50 PM »
A few random things.

The best part of the election of a Republican President is all the butthurt celebrities attempting to justify why they haven't fled the country like they were promising to do before the elections. "Hey, Miley! How's that Canadian citizenship coming along?" you might taunt cruelly. Even though I know we're screwed as a country and will be screwed even more in the coming years, it's at least a small consolation to watch every damaged dipwad in Hollywood freaking out. And then California threatens to secede...it's been great fun.

Relatively speaking, that is.

Moving on.

What's the point of giving Christmas-themed gifts to people? By the time they open the gift, the holiday's pretty much done. "Thanks for the Home Alone set...I guess I'll watch this next year." Or, "thanks for the hideous sweater...I'll look fantastic as I'm lounging by the pool."

And then...

As I was watching Vikings last season, their attempt to sack Paris left me with something of a moral dilemma: exactly who am I supposed to be rooting for here? The filthy pagans or the Christian Franks? The group characterized as a bunch of filthy creepy immoral perverts, or the Vikings?

The show probably gives historians headaches. "Rollo wasn't Ragnar's brother!!" you might hear one screaming.

Finally, here's something sure to piss someone off: rap and hip-hop really aren't music. And deejays aren't musicians.
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2016, 03:43:35 PM »
Amusing part of those elections is that we get to witness how much the American system differs from others. So if I understand well, Trump is elected BUT Clinton had the most votes? So in the facts the majority of the American People will is just ignored because of what... a technicality? And it's not even a small margin I heard about 2 millions people just brushed aside.

As for Trump, time passes and he seems intent in being entrenched into his "Yes I'm a moron and proud of it" position. Using Taiwan as a lever to re-negociate trade with China? Here's something that cannot in any way backfire; why would it?  Seriously, if something doesn't go well tomorrow (and by that I mean a truckload of turncoats in the electoral college which is a possibility too remote to be considered) this guy will have at his disposal on January 20 the keys and user manual of 7,000 nuclear warheads and deep inside the intellect of a 12 years old (no strike that, I actually met 12 years old that were more mature). Yeah, I'm totally feel fine with that especially as the guy has all the indicators of a psycho who would happily point a nuclear missile on Paris and say "now if you don't play along, I blow you up" or "Hey, you took my toy, I blow you up".

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline bobdog

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2016, 07:34:37 AM »
So many things got lost in this election -- mainly the issues facing many Americans. It really is a tale of two countries. Those people who live along the coasts or in big cities are generally doing fine and have benefited from programs enacted over the past 8 years -- myself included. And thus we are enlightened enough to worry about various minorities whose rights have been trampled in the past, because we see these people every day in our lives. We know the difference between the truth and hyperbole and campaign rhetoric, or all -out lies.

But we took it for granted that everyone else was doing okay, since job growth, wages and every other economic indicator said things had improved dramatically from the Great Recession. But not everyone has benefited -- if you're out in the open spaces, not in the big cities? Well, there you are truly screwed. These people lost jobs paying them $40/hour and now are lucky to find something paying $8.50/hour. I couldn't imagine my net worth dropping by 5 times, and my house being worthless, and having to consider food stamps while the people who ran my company got millions of dollars in golden parachutes. You can't move to a better job because you can't sell your house -- it's a horrible shame. The jobs you once had to make cars or steel or mine coal have disappeared, and nothing has come to replace them. BECAUSE NOTHING CAN REPLACE THEM!!

Robots replaced laborers in the technical trades. Coal is dirty and less efficient than natural gas, of which we have an abundance. And we can obtain many of our resources from other countries at a huge discount, including steel. Trump was smart enough to rally folks with the "chicken in every pot" if you voted for him, even though he surely knows there's nothing he can do for them. And these folks, desperate for someone to promise them anything, fell for his lies.

Meanwhile, a woman who has spent her whole life in service to the American people, and is probably the most trained candidate for president that we've seen in the past 30 years, got sucker punched  from a variety of directions: Russian hacks, FBI incompetence, and yes, probably a case of over-confidence when all the polls seemed to be leaning her way.

Under a Trump presidency, I'll do okay. But I worry for all the people who placed their hopes and dreams onto him, that they're going to get screwed even further over the next 4 years. Even more, I worry for all the folks who have placed their hopes and dreams in America, that we don't also let them down at the same time.

Strange days indeed....

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2016, 11:04:44 AM »
Meanwhile other countries (France and Germany among them) are preparing for their own elections due next year. Angela Merkel might keep her chancellor position but because of Trump election and the rise in nationalist sentiment (1933 anyone?) it generated across the world, she might also lose to a far right candidate. In France Hollande decided to not not run for a new term which leaves us with two potential candidates and let me tell you both of them are really a treat (ironically speaking) one them having even been granted the "Friend of Russia" medal by Putin. And there's still the possibility of Le Pen (far right nationalist) pushing forward as she got real hopes since Trump election: "he did it, why not me?".

Depending on how the wind blows in these two countries (which are at the core of Europe Politics), next year may well see the end of the European Union. The British defection is bad enough but not insurmountable. A problem with both France and Germany? It's adios amigos. If that happens, Putin will have one less problem to cope with without even firing a single shot, more power to him.

So yeah, in general strange days indeed. And I agree with your assessment, because from where I stand I think that people who elected Trump in the hope of him being their savior are seriously deluded. Just look at who he chose for his administration. Definitely not one pick in there to benefit that category of people not faring well... or rework the system for the good of all. What he chose is an administration that will be confrontational with everyone, allies and enemies alike both within and without. Again, a repetition of History... not the first time such changes happen across the world and for similar reasons (depression, lack of jobs, poor economy...) but people generally lack a memory for those things.

Trump was smart enough to rally folks with the "chicken in every pot" if you voted for him

How French of him :lol: It was the French King Henri IV who went with that line for the first time (only he did really put a chicken in every pot... well only on Sunday but back then he really demonstrated an unusual concern -- considering the time -- for the poor people...) then later he was assassinated and before the final blow was the target of a dozen of other attempts.

Something to meditate upon... doing good is not necessarily the way to live longer because people are basically stupid. Later both Lincoln and JFK further proved the point.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 01:03:36 PM by Starfox »

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline bobdog

« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2016, 01:47:21 PM »
Essentially, Trump is a molotov tossed into Washington DC, and I guarantee that all of his cabinet picks will try to destroy the very foundations of each department of which they're in charge.

I get why people are pissed off enough to toss that molotov. What upsets me is that they're so stupid that they left the very villains in Congress who contributed to their own economic downfall. The majority Republican party made a concerted effort when Obama took office to negate every policy idea he had. They stalled and held up every little element and filibustered any possible bill that might help anyone who wasn't a billionaire. And then placed all the blame on the Democrat party for not getting anything done.

You really want to fix Washington DC? Vote out ALL the Congressmen and start fresh.

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2016, 02:19:34 PM »
CGP Grey has an interesting video on a similar subject (mostly seen when Congress is controlled by a rival party).  Essentially, Congress tells the President how much tax to collect and how he must spend it.  This allows them to tax less money than they told him to spend, forcing the President to borrow money--the limit on which they also control.  They then turn around and blame the President for "his" budget threatening to exceed the debt limit, only agreeing to raise the limit in exchange for certain concessions.

:takethat:
Roads?  Where we're going we don't need roads.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2017, 08:19:49 PM »
I finally consented to seeing X-Men: Apocalypse yesterday. While the movie in itself wasn't bad (the bad guy also played Poe Dameron??), apart from suffering from a severe case of Scenes Of People Looking At Shit Happening**, it was a workable film with a lot of explosions and a pretty cast. And that's all that matters, really.

[** This is a shot where something quite alarming/awe-inspiring is happening, but instead of showing the event directly, the camera slowly zooms in on the face of a character looking at the thing; the carnage or whatever is sometimes reflected in the window so you can kind of see what's happening, but not always. It's like they're afraid to show things happening in this mostly visual medium.]

[Side Note: it also featured my least-favorite aspect in movies, slow-motion action. To heighten tension, etc., the action is slowed down to a crawl. "HURRY UP!" I shout at the screen. (I have issues with impatience. I admit that.) The fast-forward button comes in handy at these times. The last LOTR movie had at least nine endings and all of them presented in slo-mo...this is fantastic for that one guy in the audience (yes, me) with a huge cramp in his back who just wants the goddamn movie to end so he can stagger outside and try to rearrange his back muscles without screaming too much.]

No, what took up most of my attention was trying to piece together all these various events in the series. "Okay, so in the comics Nightcrawler turns out to be Mystique's kid...but they're the same age here, or close enough. Wait. But how is it that Sabertooth doesn't recognize Logan in the first movie even though they turn out to be brothers, and...does anyone else have a headache?"

The series is, essentially, a mess. Time travel, retcons, and what looks to be a partial reboot of sorts? How did Magneto and Xavier age thirty or forty years in the seventeen years between this movie (1983) and the first movie (2000?) Like Deadpool pointed out, it's all very confusing.

And I stopped reading the comics sometime before escaping high school, so I'm REALLY out of the loop as afar as plotlines go. Seeing an X-Men comic not long after that, I remember asking a friend (yes, I used to have friends) who still collected them, "when did they turn Psylocke into an Asian chick?"

I don't recall his answer as it was complex and I zoned out.

Anyway, I suppose there's an internet-approved viewing order OF COURSE THERE IS. But I don't think anyone can truly agree, what with all the plot holes and time travel crap. There are three courses: try to figure it all out (the path to madness), just take them each at face value and don't worry about the details (the path of the weeping martyr), or ignore them completely and go on with your life (the path of the well-contented).

I'd take the third path, but they went out of their way to stuff Olivia Munn in a purple jumpsuit, so I have to pay attention.  ::)