Author Topic: Cthulhu fhtagn!  (Read 1550 times)

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
Cthulhu fhtagn!
« on: March 17, 2016, 02:09:35 PM »
I'm a big fan of Lovecraftian horror, so I'd love to see a truly great game set in the Cthulhu Mythos.  Unfortunately, the games we've got so far are either not that great (Dark Corners of the Earth), not that authentic (Bloodborne), or more indie than AAA (Amnesia: The Dark Descent).

Recently, however, not one but two upcoming games based on the works of H.P. Lovecraft have been announced.  The first is simply called Call of Cthulhu, based on the board game of the same name, and is being developed by Cyanide for publisher Focus Home Interactive.  The second is The Sinking City, which is being developed by Frogwares.

It's interesting to note that, a few years ago, Frogwares was developing a Call of Cthulhu game for Focus Home.   So it would appear that since then A) Focus Home decided to go in a different direction and partnered with Cyanide, and B) Frogwares chose to press on with what they'd already developed.  The fact that both titles, at their core, are detective games, lends credence to the theory.

Of the two, The Sinking City sounds slightly more interesting (open world, more original setting).  On the other hand, Call of Cthulhu is described as having RPG and stealth elements in addition to the horror, which immediately makes me think of the classic System Shock 2.  So we'll see how this all plays out.

:coolcthulhu:
Roads?  Where we're going we don't need roads.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
Re: Cthulhu fhtagn!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 04:04:39 AM »
Interesting... Both Frogwares and Cyanide are known players in the video gaming arena. Cyanide is responsible for Game of Thrones (the RPG game), Orcs and Men and Styx: Master of Shadows. Considering that all those games (especially the last one) come with some form of stealth gameplay it's a safe bet to say that stealth will be part of this new Call of Cthulhu. However the problem with Cyanide is that they always are full of excellent ideas but generally fail to transcribe them flawlessly into the game. None of their games are really bad mind you, but they all lack that "little something". That will be the occasion to see if they progressed in that area.

Frogwares well, I only played one of their games, curiously the one that was not based on Sherlock Holmes or Jules Vernes Dracula: Origins. It left me some fond memories so yeah, I'll definitely keep an eye on those two...

Thanks for the heads-up Doc...

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 10:35:03 AM »
The Call of Cthulhu trailer has dropped. 

Honestly?  Not that impressed yet.  Maybe once they reveal some gameplay...

Offline bobdog

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 11:31:36 AM »
Agreed. They've got the atmosphere, but how's the gameplay.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 03:50:36 PM »
Not Impressed either. But let's not be hasty... A poor (or a superb) trailer never defined the quality of a game.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 06:01:10 PM »
Holy shit, I wasn't even sure The Sinking City was still in development, and yet here is some really promising behind-the-scenes footage. 

For comparison's sake, this is the most recent footage of Call of Cthulhu.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 05:03:35 AM »
Wow, curiously I didn't remember Call Of Cthulhu being that green tainted. I had to go back and watch the previous trailer and yes, it's always been that green.

Sinking City seems fine from a graphics point of view but the video is a behind the scenes one more about tools and development process, not one with a properly featured gameplay.

Not that I would call the Call Of Cthulhu gameplay video really amazing. The elements seem rather on the basic side. Maybe that flows better when you play it?

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 11:14:36 PM »
I think what it comes down to is that The Sinking City feels like it has more potential.  The open world setting seems like it will greatly benefit both the horror and the detective elements of the game.  The more linear things are, the less likely you'll feel like you're solving anything yourself (customary Mark Brown plug on the matter), and wandering down the wrong dark alley and being killed by some unspeakable monstrosity seems like it would be more terrifying than a simple scripted scene that plays when you're funneled down a particular path.

Offline bobdog

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 12:44:40 PM »
I would play them both, but Sinking City seems to be on a slightly higher level both graphically and conceptually.

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2018, 11:22:00 PM »
For your viewing pleasure, here are some good videos to compare Call of Cthulhu and The Sinking City:

Cinematic trailer versus cinematic trailer.

No commentary gameplay versus no commentary gameplay.

Gameplay with commentary versus gameplay with commentary.
--------------------------

Call of Cthulhu, at least at this point, looks like the more polished game, but The Sinking City feels more ambitious.  I'm still pulling for the latter--and damn if that cinematic trailer isn't impressive, if nothing else.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 12:32:12 AM by Doc_Brown »

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2018, 10:36:11 AM »
Okay so regarding the gameplay video of The Sinking City:

I really hope that they'll have sorted out the performances problem with the final release. Right now it seems to be a truckload of stuttering. Animations are far to be top notch too. I understand this is alpha shootage so there's definitely room for improvements and those are needed.

Also should I understand they made a copy/paste of one of the main puzzles of The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter? You now the one, organizing scenes and attributing numbers until you get the correct sequence to reveal what happened...

So yeah I agree, The Sinking City feels ambitious but they have a heck of a lot of polish to apply before being ready. Then again it's always the case in alpha stage... it would be a beta I would be worried.