Author Topic: The Creation Kit Is Available...A Few Months Later Than It Should've Been  (Read 829 times)

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
I won't mention the CK not being released on Day One, but feel free to do so yourselves. :ok:

Anyway, it's out. All you have to do is download the Bethesda.net launcher, create or login to an existing account, download it, and watch in awe as it loads a kajillion error messages. Sounds like home, doesn't it?

[They're not calling it the G.E.C.K., for some reason.  ::)]

Let's break that down a bit:

Here is the official CK wiki. Under the section "Install the Creation Kit: Fallout 4" is a link to the download. (I don't like providing links to executables.)

Installation is relatively painless; however, since I didn't have a bethesda.net acount, they felt the need to punish me severely. But maybe that's just my masochistic persecution complex speaking. You know, sometimes I don't feel as if I'm suffering enough...

So I attempted to create an account...three times...because I kept getting into this weird captcha loop that just would not admit that I had found all the images depicting rivers and other bodies of water. After a hearty lunch -- because it was bitter and because it was my heart -- I finally managed to create an account and install the CK.

[Side Note: after the second attempt I tried to search through their official forum for tech support, but I was stonewalled by their insistence that I have an account to access the search feature. I finally found a way to submit a support question (which has been thus far ignored...oh, well) and I expressed myself with utter restraint and succinctness. It's kind of a blur now, but I may have called the captcha system either "stupid" or "crap." I don't recall, but at least I didn't call Todd Howard a drooling idiot. It all reminded me of a Dilbert strip where he had a problem with his e-mail and asked the tech support guy about it, and the guy told him to submit the problem through e-mail...]

So how is it? Well...it's okay at first glance. I didn't get a chance to take a good, long look at the thing, but so far it seems to be more complicated than the Skyrim CK, what with a couple of new panes and the like. Loading time was about on par with Skyrim's CK, and it threw a pane with error messages at me (433 of them). The basic, familiar panes there, though.

The first thing I did was to look at the races, as such. As it turns out, there are no race divisions; all humans are just that: human. So it's all down to adjusting any notions of what constitutes your concept of specific racial face/body structure for yourself. Whatever I mean by that, anyway. Simply, there are no Asian, Latin, Afro-Am, or honkey choices. You're either human or you're not.

Which, philosophically- and socially-speaking, I think is a good thing. But when you're creating a character, it's a bit vague. (Doesn't really matter, though: the screenshots I've seen of most people's characters might as well be the same generic white chick over and over again. I should start a site dedicated to such bland stupidity. I'll call it something like "Your Character Sucks!" and post pics with derogatory, socially-insensitive, and profanity-filled comments. I might even fit in a bunch of racist and homophobic stuff, too.)

[Another Side Note: I'm just wondering when the transgender lunatics will start making noise about their own specifically stupid issues with the game.]

So I guess, if I wanted to make my own personalized "race" for the game, I should just focus on creating presets in the CK and doing all of the advantages through Perks. (The Xian have no disadvantages, other than their slight lactose intolerance.) I found that actually worked well in FO3 and FNV...I didn't *need* to create a new race, I could've just done it all through a couple of Perks. (i.e., fire immunity, faster health regen, etc.)

The only issue might be body image (I mean: a way to set the player apart from the common rabble), but there's a mod for that (Unique Player) which solves that First World problem nicely. Let's just hope that either the guy updates it for custom player head meshes/textures, or someone else does something similar. Caliente, perhaps? :ss-woot

Looking at the facegen a bit, the CK took its sweet time updating a face for even the slightest adjustment to a slider...so that may be an external issue if you have custom textures installed. That may be the culprit in my case, and I'll look into that later. Right after dinner. I have some heart left over.
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
OK, things I don't like about Bethesda.net... The whole thing stinks of yet another Steam clone that will sit on your computer sucking resources while trying to compete with Steam, Uplay, Origin and the likes and stealing audience from the Nexus on the side. I so anticipate the day when every freaking publishers out there will have their own crappy piece of software required to play their games. Yes one can argue that it is only required to download the CK... for now.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
It's leading to some sort of gestapo-like stupidity, I can see. Download this thing to download that thing and oh, by the way, we'll mark any saves you make in a modded game with an "M"... :ss-nuts

The way the whole thing handles mods is very weird. I don't know quite how to describe it, but it just feels wrong. I'm pretty sure they're going to do something abysmally stupid soon.

Wait, here's something fun: I can't load a plugin in the CK without the DLC present (DLCRobot.esm, specifically). If I move it to nother folder, it will throw up an error message and refuse to load the plugin.

This is somewhat alarming.

And why would I remove it? Because when I was tinkering with another mod that was made pre-CK, the CK automatically added the DLC as a master to the mod, which may have broken the mod entirely.

Evil. Pure evil.

...Further Editing...

The mod in question is a night vision extension for Armorsmith Extended, which adds a night vision perk to eyewear and headgear (borrowed from the Night Person perk), among other similar enhancements...such as tactical night vision, where nv only kicks in when you go into sneak mode. That sort of thing.

And why was I editing it? Because I don't like green-tinted night vision. All I did was to remove the green tint and the blur/DoF effect, and hooray...glasses I could wear when stuck in pitch-black interiors (i.e., the Mechanist's Lair). Plus, Bethesda didn't include a friggity-frackin' brightness slider, so that's a reason too.

Problem is, when I modified it in the CK, the little bastard decided to tag it with the Automatron DLC as a master, and that broke the thing. Don't know why, but it did.

So I replaced the plugin with the original, and modified it with FO4Edit. It works, so I guess that's something for the record books.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 08:33:54 PM by Silver Sorrow »
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
You know when you have games as buggy as Bethesda, there's one thing you truly DON'T want to touch and it's serious applications requiring security and handling of financial information. Buggy is fine for game, no for serious apps. Hence (yeah because this is serious) I question the validity of the logic behind this so called Bethesda.net. Try to develop one game with less than 50 bugs guys and after that we can talk about going serious.

Also, narcissistic companies that want you to endure their full animated logo without the possibility to skip it each time you start an app annoy me. Furthermore (yeah I'm using big words there), having to log in manually every time? Not even the option to remember the username/password or to stay logged in? In what age are you living? Those options don't compromise security (if the user is not an idiot); bad programming does.

I mean, those are the guys that thought that a perk providing enhanced vision working every time you crouch even in full daylight blinding the user was a neat idea... And Fallout 4 is full of bad idea like that. Those are people who develop games that require a gazillion of not even paid modders to fix so they can just work as intended in the first place.

And they want to go in the serious business of digital distribution? Lord in heavens!

So I replaced the plugin with the original, and modified it with FO4Edit. It works, so I guess that's something for the record books.

What? That finally the CK is overrated and not needed?  :lol: Hey, here's an idea, lets' try to work to enhance FO4Edit so it can finally replace the CK. So OK, Beth would definitely be pissed but... whatever.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

everything