Author Topic: Bit of a blast from the past!  (Read 1472 times)

Offline Dough with Fish

• Sap you in teh face! Oh noes!
  • Forums Keeper
Bit of a blast from the past!
« on: May 06, 2016, 12:36:23 AM »
Wow, guys, it's been a while! I recently stumbled across this fairly in-depth and through look at some classic Half-Life mods of old. Most of them were featured in some way or another back on the good old Hangar. I think Silver reviewed most of them too! Anyway, have a look guys.
https://youtu.be/gpbFtCUqM0M

Offline bobdog

• Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Re: Bit of a blast from the past!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 06:40:11 AM »
Some good mods. Here's what he featured:

Timeline 1
Timeline 2: The Iced Earth
Timeline 3: Heart of Darkness
Poke 646
Poke 646: Vendetta
Point of View
They Hunger 1
They Hunger 2: Rest in Pieces
They Hunger 3: Rude Awakening
Wanted! The Western Mod
Heart of Evil
Heart of Evil Napalm Edition
Afraid of Monsters
Half-Quake
Half-Quake: Amen/Sunrise
Someplace Else

Out of these, I loved the Timeline series, the Pokes, They Hunger series and Wanted. Point of View, where you play as a Xen warrior, was okay. I HATED the Heart of Evil and Half-Quake series. And I probably played but don't recognize Afraid of Monsters or Someplace Else.

But a good selection regardless, and some of the top mods for HL1. Nice find, Dough!!

Offline Lord Mantrid

• Sorry, you startled me. I was doing Snorkel Shots.
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 10:33:10 AM »
I used to spend so much time playing Half-Life and just about every mod you could possibly dream of, and now I am lucky if I turn any Valve game on more than once a year.
Spoiler
valv softwer is 3d relms in teh futuer!!!!!!111!1!1one1!

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 08:10:36 AM »
Same here; I can't recall the last time I played HL. Does Valve even make games anymore? :realconfused:

As for the mods, I remember *some* of them for various reasons, although in general the whole thing is kind of a blur. Bits and pieces stand out. The Timeline series, I remember being good fun (the airship!), but I mostly remember it due to the damned walkthrough I had to write for it. I had no business writing walkthroughs. Poke646 was memorable for the nifty nailguns. They Hunger was my absolute favorite, I seem to recall.

Although I don't remember playing some of those...I vaguely recall Wanted! (something about hard-to kill snakes??), and I want to forget Heart Of Evil with every fiber of my being. The original, that is; I never played the Napalm Edition. And seeing how that played out in the clip, I'm glad I didn't.

Funny thing, sorta: HoE started out as a decidedly quirky affair, and it was different enough to be interesting. It eventually got weirder and less fun...even worse, I was expected by certain people (**cough** Darkwolf **cough**) to review the mod as it was updated. The guy updated the thing so often that I recall reviewing the cursed thing at least three different times within a short space of time. I finally gave up on taking anything about it seriously and just wrote the last review in the style of a demented travelogue. No one liked that (there were complaints), but I didn't give a rotten goddamn.

On a side note, the Half-Quake crew were the most annoying cabal of depressed masochists you could ever hope to meet. They delighted in the fact that I didn't feel any joy whatsoever for their project in my review. So when the next one came out, I think I made a point of being more positive and enthusiastic about it than they liked. I don't remember exactly what I wrote, but I don't think they felt as warmly towards me as with the first part.

Other impressions that have nothing to do with the original post (sorry, Dough!): that Japanese guy who did Another World, he wasn't happy with me. He gave us a pre-release copy of the mod for review, and I mentioned something about a UFO. He was pissed. I didn't really know it was supposed to be a big secret; after all, the whole mod was -- although fun -- completely batshit to the point where I didn't see anything outre about a UFO. So I had to edit the hell out of the review while Darkwolf kissed his ass. God knows what dire consequences we would have faced if KS had ended up not liking us. ::)

Hang on...that guy Tal-N and his horde of minions...he (and they) didn't like my reviews because I tried to be a little more positive than "this sucks!", and then he turned out to be huge lying fraud. That was funny.

Okay. That's all I remember at the moment. If anyone needs anything further, it may require me to stick my finger in a light socket. :madscientist:
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Lord Mantrid

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 09:28:42 AM »
I wish I could remember some of the ones that I would review (since bad games was my "schtick" and all). Didn't I even get a special emoji for it? Toilets, I believe. Shout out to The Gate, though, for still being an unplayable piece of crap. I saw a few months back that CJB finally finished his sequel. The screenshots looked meh. Remind me to punch him in the face one day, just long enough so he won't remember any of this and it will be hilarious.

They Hunger and Timeline were my favorites. Poke646 was the one the German guy did as a college project and ultimately got a job at Gearbox, wasn't it? That one was pretty cool. Heart of Evil got a Steam version eventually and it didn't take itself nearly as seriously. Maybe it was because by this time the subtitles were wonderfully ridiculous. Didn't it end like "And then everyone became a zombie, the end"?

Not being biased at all, Todesangst 2 was clearly my favorite of all time. Playing an obnoxious, nasally scientist is arguably nearly as good of an achievement as when I convinced a Hollywood director to dedicate a movie about Helen Keller fighting nightwolves in memory of Dale Earnhardt, because why the hell not.
Spoiler

Offline Dough with Fish

• Sap you in teh face! Oh noes!
  • Forums Keeper
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 07:15:38 PM »
For some reason I remember SS giving HoE a 5/5. Maybe? Could be getting old, who the hell knows... All that stuff seems like a lifetime ago. And, shit, I didn't know Dark Wolf bent over backwards for modders like that... Speaking of DW, did anyone ever find out what happened to him?

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2016, 09:02:34 PM »
Remind me to punch him in the face one day, just long enough so he won't remember any of this and it will be hilarious.

My great-grandfather once said that if you were going to beat the shit out of someone, pick up a stick so you won't tear up your hands. Of course, this was the same guy who once punched out his mule, so...take that as you will. ;D

I did some digging into my old CDs...turns out that my talent for storing stuff in a logical, organized manner is negligible at best. Still, I managed to find a CD from 2003 that had my reviews, and I had a grand old time (read: painful) looking through some of them.

I might note here that there are no non-MS text progs out there that want anything whatsoever to do with MS Word docs. Notepad ++ was capable, but I felt bad for it. And why I wrote everything in Word is beyond me. :realconfused:

Anyway, yes: I did find the infamous Heart Of Evil review and, indeed, I gave it a 5 out of 5. Here's a screenshot of the mod:

Ah, those were the days. ::)

I'm looking at a few others here...Redemption (and the final version Absolute Redemption) was a personal favorite, for one. I'll keep digging, though. There's been talk that I should put these reviews back up, and it's the perfect opportunity for me to try and explain, exactly, what the bloody hell I was thinking when I wrote them...or, at the very least, apologize to the universe in general. But not for what I said about The Gate. In fact, fuck The Gate. And everyone involved with it.

Todesangst...well. I don't recall if I played Todesangst 2 (I'll have to dig deeper), but I have evidence that I played the first one.

More thrilling than narrowly avoiding a double lapdance from Camryn Manheim and Kathy Najimy. Almost as liberating as the feeling you get when the HIV test results come back negative after a failed three-day marriage to Carmen Electra. Even more amazing than the time Chunk ate his weight in Godfather’s pizza. Fun, in other words. Enjoy the hell out of it.

I gave it a 4.8 out of 5. Seems like I liked it.

Heart of Evil review quote:

I’d also like to point out that our very own Wintermute did some voice acting for this mod...but that’d be gratuitous, wouldn’t it?

Anyone talk to Wintermute in the last few years? The last time we talked, he said he was into RTSes. But that was quite a while ago, so I don't know.

And, shit, I didn't know Dark Wolf bent over backwards for modders like that...

Heh. Oh, yes. He told me once that he wanted to turn the Hangar into a world-class gaming site; he was even talking to someone at the ESRB, or whatever, to get a rating for the site. I still don't see how we could've been a success with someone like me on staff, though.   :ss-sad1

Speaking of DW, did anyone ever find out what happened to him?

Ehhh...not really. I mean, there was speculation aplenty. The conclusion is that he probably died. He had Marfan's syndrome, was a chronic pain patient, lived in Canada, and was married to someone from Nebraska. Talk about a recipe for sweet, sweet death.
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Lord Mantrid

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 01:10:37 AM »
Did we have the same great-grandfather? Because mine broke his hand punching a mule in the face. He never could close his pinky after that.

Does anyone remember that unfinished HL1 mod where you take an alternate path from the surface part of We've Got Hostiles? You got a burst fire M4 and it got the grenade launcher that the MP5 used to have. It was supposed to be in multiple installments but they bailed after the first one.

Todesangst 2 is worth playing through just to hear my shitty interpretation of a scientist.
Spoiler

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 09:04:45 PM »
Look at that. The 1 month-iversary of my forgetting to post a reply. :hammerhead:

I've been corrected by outside sources: it was an ox he punched out, and not a mule. Then he went inside to get a shotgun to finish it off, but when he came back the ox was up and plowing the field on its own. So he didn't kill it.

Christ, people were tougher in those days. Meaner, too. :lol:

Did we have the same great-grandfather? Because mine broke his hand punching a mule in the face. He never could close his pinky after that.

Well...Alabama stock, and all that.  :ok:

Actually, the reason I recalled the story is that I stumbled upon my Gunman Chronicles review, where I mentioned it. I think I only have one story for everything. "Did I ever tell you about my great-grandfather--" "--who punched his ox. Yeah. A thousand times!"

I vaguely recall that mod, but there were so many... :realconfused:

I found out that I did indeed review Todesangst 2. But it's #122, so I have a ways to go before I repost it. But I'll quote myself here in the meantime:

...ah...I’ve just been handed a note. It seems that the real title is "Todesangst 2: der echte Feind" (translation: "There are not enough weasels in my underwear").

Ah...what the hell. Another chunk of review:

f you recall, there was a map pack to come out several thousand years ago, called "Todesangst" (translation: "Come to Butthead"). This release, of course, is the sequel. I mean, that’s a pretty obvious statement, made even more so by the "2" in the title...yet I can’t help but be slightly disappointed in the author’s tasteless adherence to the conformity of puerile social conventions, i.e., the numbering scheme. The true nonconformist would have thrown off the loathsome shackles of such an unbelievably bourgeois reliance on the traditionally restrictive "common" thought...yes, I think if the author were a *true* Renaissance man, he would have called the release, "Todesangst Green: How Free Were The Oranges Of The Sky." Of course, I merely submit this as a possibility, and would never dream of constraining the author to *my* suggestions.

Despite this, Todeswonk Two is a solid effort, its scope matched only by the sheer number of accents in any given cutscene. In fact, one cutscene featured Gordon and two scientists having this intense, important conversation, and all I could think of was "My God...there are three different accents in this scene!" Add to that the mercenaries screeching at me in Australian (like English, but different somehow), not to mention the Indian scientist, and I was having a globe-trotting vacation without fear of leaving my desk and getting some weird microbe from the S.S. Goofy.

Offline Lord Mantrid

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2016, 12:00:50 AM »
Whenever I get a chance to sit down and reinstall some of the old school HL things, I'm seriously contemplating playing through some of the mods and maps that I reviewed all those years ago. I'll come up with a good title at a later date, but it might be kinda fun to re-review and see how my opinion (and writing style) has evolved over time.
Spoiler