Author Topic: Doom or DooM or whatever  (Read 613 times)

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Doom or DooM or whatever
« on: May 13, 2016, 06:46:20 AM »
I have a bad feeling about this.

Oh, where to begin? Okay. Keep in mind that I haven't even played the game yet; I've just messed about in the menus so far. I found them troubling. I also have a slew of other issues, not all of them related to the game whatsoever.

1. First off, name your damned reboot something other than the original name. They pulled that crap with the last Thief game (even though "thi4f" is a moronic move, it's still easier to narrow down results in Google than "thief"), and now, if you want to search for something related to THIS game, you're going to have to sift through a lot of stuff related to the first three games.

2. When I did find a relevant result, it was on bethesda.net forums and my access to merely reading a thread was blocked without registration. I have an account -- thanks to the debacle with the stupid FO4 CK -- but it's the principle of the thing.

3. A few logo movies, many of them stuttery. I hate those things.

4. This is what greeted me in the main menu:

Cripes.

5. Keybindings are a mess. I can't clear a binding, at least not from what I can tell from the tiny font notations at the bottom of the screen. Reassigning an already-assigned key results in a warning...and the original binding remains with the new, at least until the default can be reassigned. I would try to explain this better, but it's too early for this crap.

Oddly, the BFG and chainsaw were assigned to letter keys and not numbers by default; 9 and 0 were empty, why not assign them to those keys? A head scratcher.

And there is no reload key. What?

6. Upon going into the Advanced options, I was confronted with this:

Apparently, I cannot be trusted with changing their sacred settings.  :ss-meh

7. There may or may not be a quicksave and hard save function. I'll check on that in a moment.

If this is a checkpoint-only game, I'm going for the refund. There is no excuse for that nonsense.

EDIT:

Checkpoints only. Refund request sent.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 07:04:14 AM by Silver Sorrow »
But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart.

Offline bobdog

Re: Doom or DooM or whatever
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 08:27:19 AM »
From the gameplay videos I've seen, the game appears to appeal to speed-runners and rocket-blasters. You have to constantly move and switch your weapons based on who's in front of you. The melee looks cool, but I think I'm done with these types of games. I tend to like a more methodical approach to my gameplay anymore, rather than rushing around madly and getting in the face of every foe.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 01:26:15 AM »
Well, that really makes you want to buy it  :lol:

From what I've seen, the game is running on the id6 tech engine which I suppose is a development from the id5 which was itself one of the most crappy engine ever invented. Good point: it should have been easy to top "crappy"; bad point: with id you never know, chances are they got it running even worse which could explain the "Don't modify the graphic options or the universe will explode".

5. Keybindings are a mess.

That's the major good point of the Steam Controller, you can say F... you to keybindings.

If this is a checkpoint-only game, I'm going for the refund. There is no excuse for that nonsense.

Oh but there is: "we developed the game for consoles and we were far too lazy to implement a reliable save system".

But all in all I'm with bobdog on this. Games like DooM might have had some appeal to me at some point in my gaming career but seriously, I'm done with games like that (I couldn't even finish Serious Sam 3 so dumb I thought it was). If the whole point was just to remake the original DooM with prettier graphics I say... no thanks.

EDIT: came upon this quote from a Gamespot interview

Story isn't something big in a Doom game, and we've taken that approach [...]It's not what people come to Doom for; they come to kill demons and blow sh** up in amazing ways.

And that's exactly why I won't be buying... "Blowing s... up" was awesome about 20 years ago. But come on, gaming -- and gamers, at least I hope -- has evolved since then. It seems that id will remain stuck in the past hopelessly.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 01:36:56 AM by Starfox »

Offline Dough with Fish

• Sap you in teh face! Oh noes!
  • Forums Keeper
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 08:00:41 PM »
I dunno about you all, but I think the game is a very refreshing change of pace from all the samey, super-serious, modern and near-future military shooters that have been clogging the market. Yeah, the story is just dumb and garbage but everything else about the singleplayer is excellent. The combat is super satisfying, the game runs super silky smooth on PS4 and from what I've read all the other platforms too. Not to mention that soundtrack! I'm loving my time with it.

Offline bobdog

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 09:25:53 PM »
I just couldn't deal with the "enter room ... doors lock ... kill all the foes ... doors unlock and progress to next room ... doors lock ... kill all the foes ... doors unlock and ...." approach. I'm tired of that kind of gameplay.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 01:40:06 AM »
I don't doubt there's an audience for this gaming style would it only be for the sake of nostalgia however I'm only interested in games with a real and preferably deep storyline and from Id own admission it's not the case of the new DooM so I'll pass.

There may be a question of age also. I'm not getting younger and I realized that with the passing of time my tastes have slightly changed. As I said, even though I had a lot of fun with Serious Sam in its days I couldn't stand the latest incarnation of it (which however is really just Serious Sam with better graphics so I should have been on board). Same goes with DooM. And if I have to spend €60 on a game I want to be sure that it's worth every single dime. The new DooM does not appear to me that kind of game.

I'd prefer to fork $50 on The Rise Of The Tomb Raider (provided it's of the same quality as Tomb Raider 2013). Any opinion on that bobdog?

Offline bobdog

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 05:32:07 AM »
I haven't played the newest Tomb Raider, but I went back and played the reboot several months ago. It holds up really strongly in all areas: gameplay, story, varied level design, etc. I can only imagine the latest game is even stronger, at least from the videos I've seen.

I'm currently playing Assassin's Creed Unity, and it's pretty boring, especially when I compare it to Tomb Raider's reboot, so that's saying something.

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 12:11:36 PM »
I don't get the love Doom 2016 gets.  It's got a vaguely cartoon-ish look, like they passed Doom 3's assets through a Blizzard filter.  It acts like it won't bother with a story, but then turns around and peppers you with readables, audio logs, and dialogue anyway.  And worst of all, it's pitched as a return to the classic Doom style, but nothing could be further from the truth.

Classic Doom is an FPS bullet hell.  It is very fast paced, throws large numbers of enemies at you, and requires you to dodge a barrage of projectiles.  Doom 2016 is much slower paced, throws a handful of enemies at you (then spawns in new ones as they're killed), and puts an emphasis on melee attacks (both from you and your enemies).

-----------------------------

All of this prompted me to grab Doom and Doom II during the Steam Summer Sale and revisit them through the lens of Brutal Doom, and I gotta say they hold up incredibly well.  The original Doom has a nice progression* (as when certain enemies appear throughout the campaign), while Doom II plays around with more creative level design.

*Note: By "original" I mean the first three episodes.  Ultimate Doom comes with a fourth episode, but the difficulty curve is all over the place.  Not sure I'd recommend it.

Oh, and Brutal Doom itself is awesome.  You remember the classics as faster and more violent than they really are, but Brutal Doom makes it so.  Some of its additions are no brainers (mouse look, jumping, ducking), and while you may at first question the others, now I can't even imagine playing without grenades, reloading, the ability to kick, etc.

You don't even need Doom or Doom II to play Brutal Doom.  It comes not only with the FreeDoom source port but also the Hell on Earth starter pack.  While I wouldn't recommend playing the former (it just isn't on the same level as the others I've discussed), Hell on Earth is a surprisingly good campaign.  Just don't play it on too high a difficulty level.

tl;dr Doom 2016 doesn't hold a candle to the classic Doom games, especially if played through Brutal Doom.
Roads?  Where we're going we don't need roads.