Author Topic: Skyrim Total Conversion Mod Enderal Launching in July 2016  (Read 2315 times)

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Re: Skyrim Total Conversion Mod Enderal Launching in July 2016
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2016, 10:37:18 AM »
Bizarre.

Apparently I'm at The Point Of No Return, about to end the Whole Damned Thing. I'm told to meet Calia -- for I have no interest in sharing breathy nothings with Jespar -- in front of the Emporium. I saunter over, as well as anyone CAN saunter in plate armor, and she says she wants to spend more time with me before the end. (What? Why? I'm not that interesting!) She says she wants to meet up in the Upper City (the Nobles' Quarter).

Huh. Okay. So I wait until evening (that is: I find a bed and rest, since the chuckleheads have removed waiting; there's a mod for that, but...) and make my way to the Nobles Quarter. Calia's there, in her nice dress, at a bridge. She's all business and asks me if I'm ready for the next mission. Oooooookaaaayyy...and then a pop-up informs me that this is it, it's The Big One, and if I had anything else I needed to do, now's the time.

Then I'm told that I've failed part six of Calia's personal missions. A scripting bug, from what I gather...there's been multiple complaints of the same thing happening to others.

Not that I really care, as I find romance subplots detrimental to good gameplay, but it sort of stings. If I had known, I could have skipped the bullshit and be uninstalling the thing by now. Oh, well.

Replayability note: sure, I want to roll a stealthy assassin-type and go through it all again...being zerg-rushed by overpowered bandits/undead for a dozen or so levels until I can level up my character enough to not die within seconds sounds like a lot of fun.

Example:

Sneak into cave. Upon transition, get attacked by a couple of really tough rats. Manage to survive? Good. Try to sneak up on bad guy...who is facing you. From a long distance off, he sees you. Legolas the Bandit shouts something witty ("you fucking scum," an actual sample of dialogue) and takes aim with his bow, sidestepping like crazy and hitting you with pinpoint accuracy. At this point, stealth is no longer something you have to worry about, as the moment is gone forever. Meanwhile, EVERY SINGLE BAD GUY in the dungeon is alerted and, like I said before, zerg-rushes your ass. For a heavy armor/melee type, this is worrying enough...but for a squishy rogue, this is utter madness. It isn't even worth considering.
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2016, 11:53:52 AM »
This thing is crash-happy.

Between all the scripted scenes and the crashes, the endgame is a real pain in the ass.

(Have I ever mentioned how much I hate following NPCs? How they run ahead for a bit and, if you're not hot on their heels, they stop, turn around and stand there for a few seconds, then turn back around and start running again? How I hate it. I hate it forever.)

After a long, boring multi-NPC conversation in which everything is spelled out slowly and with as much detail as they can muster so no one will be confused -- unless they fell asleep, that is -- I'm told to listen to some guy's inspirational speech...

This is the point where the following wail of despair burst out of my very soul:

"...nnnnnnooooooooooooooOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooo ooooo not a SPEECH..."

(I was asked if I was okay by a concerned person. "No. I'm NEVER okay!" I shrieked.)

He's gonna tell us that we need to hold the line, isn't he?? I thought. Look, just let me find the final piece of the Catalyst Beacon and get this over with!

"Why DO you play these games?" I have been asked. "Because I hate myself, obviously!" I reply.
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2016, 05:55:48 PM »
...and done.

Screenshots:

Translation: "This Way To The Gas Chambers!"

My hair is on fire and you bit my lip. You're a terrible kisser, Calia.

Definitely on fire now. And you keep biting my lip, damn you.

I think it's a wee bit late for this conversation NOW.

Definitely a bug. She stopped me to talk about an evening out before the mission we're currently doing. I saw in the credits that they had a QA department, but I think they may be exaggerating.

Well. After satisfying a couple of points on which I'm still unclear, I guess I'll uninstall and restore Skyrim the way I had it:

In summary: despite my whining, I'd encourage anyone with a copy of Skyrim to give it a try, at least. It really is an impressive piece of work. And they seem to be on top of the bugs, so some of the bugs I experienced early on may already be fixed.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2016, 04:15:32 AM »
I fondly recall the mods that kept the NPCs from yakking at me as I passed them.

Yeah, everyday I stop strangers in the street to ask them what they had for breakfast or what they'll be doing in the evening. Or even the funniest "don't piss me off because I'm not afraid of you" launched toward the unsuspecting guy who was really just minding his own business. It's like all the NPCs in Bethesda games want to get killed.

Funny thing, real life: the other day I was waiting at a bus stop and the bus was late and there was just one other person with me and I launched "well, at least we have a beautiful weather". I got a look like if I was trying to summon the Devil himself. See that's exactly how most people don't want to be talked to by complete strangers. I must admit however that the reaction of that particular person was a bit exaggerated; most people when told about the weather either say something like "Yeah, true but that won't last" (that's Normandy folks) or just mumble if they're not in the mood.

Well...the back balcony threw me a clump of German gibberish which I figured to mean "You can't go this way."

Well, my bad... I assumed one could tcl up there and open the door but I never actually tried it.

But the second part...yeah. That poor kid.  Too bad you can't avenge him...

Well I was upset by that too but what really pissed me off for a while was: the world is about to be on fire and you're running after a dog, chasing butterflies... I was sad for the kid when I learned the truth, yeah, but until then I was grinding my teeth, seriously.

I just didn't venture far enough into the room to trip the quest trigger.

That's the most plaguing problem with Enderal. All the conversation triggers are far too close to the characters you need to talk to. Sometime I needed to take several steps back then to approach again so a conversation would continue.

Problem is, the Keeper door guard won't let me in.

Trigger again. You don't need to enter the room, just to be close enough to hear (just beside the guard who doesn't pay attention as long as you don't try to enter).

OK so I think I know what happens to you with Calia.

Spoiler
After you drop out from the star city in the escape pod and you find Calia and Jaspar, there is a lengthy scene in the emporium explaining what is about to happen. Normally, Calia should be sitting just in front of you across the table. If she's not -- and I know for a fact that may happen -- all her romance subplot is screwed because this is at this moment that she should tell you she wants to spend time with you...

Other possibility, she did indeed was there and talk to you then but you were late to the rendez-vous -- I believe the correct moment is somewhere between 10pm and 12am -- if you're late and you do meet her then she doesn't want to spend time with you anymore (women are like that) and just asks you if you're prepared. At that point there's nothing that can be done except reloading an earlier save.

So yeah, basically... scripting error... far to be the only one in the game

Although according to one of the dev, finding scripters is the most difficult thing. Modelers, texturers... tons of those but scripters? Kind of the rarest thing after gold (which is not a surprise as this is also the less acknowledged job in the video game industry except when people complain about bugs). Which also explain that you frequently run across people who seem to have something to tell you but do not because there was not enough scripters to do the job of scripting the quest. One glaring example is when Lishari is murdered, you find a dust bottle and that's all. Normally there should have been a whole quest following up but it was cut because... not time to script.

Translation: "This Way To The Gas Chambers!"

You're a bad bad person... you do know that, yeah?

In my playthrough Calia completely embraced me so not only she was setting my hair aflame but hers too...  :purplelaugh:

(Have I ever mentioned how much I hate following NPCs? How they run ahead for a bit and, if you're not hot on their heels, they stop, turn around and stand there for a few seconds, then turn back around and start running again? How I hate it. I hate it forever.)

Actually blame Bethesda and whiners for that because I clearly remember when I played Skyrim the first time (before any patch) that the girl you meet in Riverside and accompany you to show you the way to the bridge so you could go retrieve the Golden claw just sped up all the way without pausing just once. Then some whiners came and started to complain that NPCs were going too fast, they were not waiting so players couldn't go around checking the flowers and taking in the scenery. A couple of patches atfer, problem solved and NPC started to stop every 10 feet to make sure the player was following.

That aside the last scene with the gigantic robot? Wasn't that giving you ME2 flashbacks? Except that of course the baby reaper of ME2 didn't talk, it jumped into battle mode immediately

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2016, 07:46:49 AM »
It's like all the NPCs in Bethesda games want to get killed.

I'm not sure why everyone in Skyrim and Fallout 4 is a jerk (even the kids!). I mean, it's not like the previous TES games where you could improve total strangers' opinions of you, based solely on reputation and general panache. They're jerks no matter what. I found the "Shut Up [guards, npcs]" mods invaluable, as sometimes -- for example -- at an inn, some merc with a big mouth will say something unkind about me and I'll feel the need to correct his/her misconceptions by killing them and everyone else in sight. "Oh, but you have it wrong," I say soothingly as I tear their arms off, "I cannot possibly be a milk-drinker, as I am lactose intolerant. So you see," I conclude with a sad shake of my glorious mane of modded hair, "you have me all wrong." I toss the offending merc's severed head into a bucket, earning both admiring applause from the plebians as well as two points.

Excuse me. I get a little weird on two hours' worth of sleep.

I got a look like if I was trying to summon the Devil himself.

You got a bad one, for sure. :lol:  The surest way to make friends in the lovely Southwest is to mention the weather: we're all united as one against the goddamned, godforsaken, godawful weather.

Well, my bad... I assumed one could tcl up there and open the door but I never actually tried it.

No biggie; the stealth part wasn't all that bad. It's not like I made a voodoo dool, or anything... :purplelaugh:

Well I was upset by that too but what really pissed me off for a while was: the world is about to be on fire and you're running after a dog, chasing butterflies... I was sad for the kid when I learned the truth, yeah, but until then I was grinding my teeth, seriously.

Ah, I see. Yes, that didn't make a whole lot of sense...wrecked the momentum of the story. Problem is, there were a whole lot of teeth-grinding moments after that, at least for me. I am...somewhat impatient...when it comes to participating in conversations, whether in a game or in real life. So I found this mod excruciating at times.

What I found most irritating about the conversations -- besides the lengthy exposition and simpleminded reiteration of basic concepts -- was how they'd break one up by having the other person exit the dialogue, sit down or stand up or engage in some other activity, then re-enter the dialogue. I had to chase the other idiot down a couple a couple of times.

Or, my favorite thing: suffering through some long-winded speech where story-oriented info is being imparted, and some random NPC will wander up and start talking at me at top volume. Most fun of all: when they finished their line, they'd repeat it over and over again. During a crucial moment full of drama, Arantheal's speech was hard to hear, thanks to the beggar who parked herself between us and repeated her plea for a coin multiple times until I console-killed her.

The thing with Calia...it seems like it was trying to get me to repeat the part where we went dancing. Just...weird. It didn't affect the ending, so it turned out fine, I guess.

Normally there should have been a whole quest following up but it was cut because... not time to script.

Also, the wishing well quests were bugged, there was a havok physics puzzle cut completely...all of those could've been done right if there were more scripters.

You're a bad bad person... you do know that, yeah?

To know me is to loathe me.  :evil1:

A couple of patches atfer, problem solved and NPC started to stop every 10 feet to make sure the player was following.

Sometimes I wonder if Bethesda just patches some things out of spite. "They don't like that, do they? Well, let's just 'fix' it and see how they like it now!" [demonic laughter]

The machine at the end: definitely an ME2 vibe. Actually, I was hoping that it would attack me, considering that our conversation was so long...

How long was it?

...longer than there've been fishes in the ocean and stars up in the heavens, I have been talking to him. :ss-rimshot

everything