Author Topic: July 17th: Freedom From Social Media Day 2016!  (Read 969 times)

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
July 17th: Freedom From Social Media Day 2016!
« on: July 17, 2016, 02:15:41 AM »
Welcome to the 1st annual Freedom From Social Media Day!

It was a year ago today that my Facebook account was finally deleted and I was free...FREE...from the curse of social interaction!

Hang on...

Yes, I am aware that forums are a form of social interaction. However, they don't require that I respond to instant messages. They are not in the moment, so to speak.

Resuming...

From my first forays into the puzzling, often confounding world of the Internet, I have been beset from all sides by people wanting to chat, message, IM, and other equally-abominable ways of communicating. The final straw was Facebook. There are approximately nine million reasons I left Facebook (a random offering of two available upon request), but chief amongst them was that I would never have to respond to an IM from some relative whom I haven't seen (or even talked to) in 30 years. Why talk to me now? Do you need blood? A kidney? What the hell do you want from me??

Anyway.

So out of sheer joy at not having to partake in the piddly little lives and concerns of anyone else (I'm much more focused on my piddly little life and concerns), I created a day of celebration. Sure, I feel hollow inside and realize that it's just another stupid attempt to amuse myself, but then again, so are the concepts of religion and politics. At least this way, I'm not encouraging the murder of others over where we go when we die. Or worse, voting for lunatics.

The problem here is that to mobilize awareness for this movement, social media would be the answer. Believe me, I am aware of the irony. But there are other methods. Smoke signals, for example. Or sky-writing. But since no one ever looks up from their goddamn phones anymore, outside visual stimuli won't be as effective as, say, simply beating the shit out of them.

So, uh...yeah. Unplug. Have some cake, read a book. Go outside, enjoy the summer.
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline SlyFoxx

Re: July 17th: Freedom From Social Media Day 2016!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 10:03:11 AM »
Freedom...fuck yeah!

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 03:50:16 PM »
:biglaugh:

:ss-fonzie :ss-headbang :ss-ymca
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 11:58:48 PM »
(a random offering of two available upon request)

Order up!
Roads?  Where we're going we don't need roads.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 08:56:40 AM »
Okay, two randoms:

1. Not being able to say what you really feel about, for example, certain country music singers (when asked, I mean) because you might piss off your entire family.

2. Polarizing opinions on everything, from gay marriage to the Confederate flag, that make merely loading your mainpage look like a riot of rainbows while the South rises again.

:ss-shootme