Author Topic: A sound advice for Bethesda  (Read 534 times)

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
A sound advice for Bethesda
« on: September 14, 2016, 02:15:51 AM »
A very sound advice from Gopher to Bethesda regarding TES 6.

And yeah, for God sake... new engine! I heard people argue that a new engine would be the end of modding and I say: why? One absolutely doesn't exclude the other. If you develop a new engine from scratch with the idea to include modding capability in it, I don't see why a new engine would be worse at modding than Gamebryo/Creation.

That being said, Gopher is right... when an idea works, don't get rid of it. When something works, don't fix it.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 01:44:06 AM by Starfox »

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
Re: A sound advice for Bethesda
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 01:14:01 PM »
He raises an interesting point about failed sequels.  Can you think of any that failed because they were too focused on fixing their predecessors' mistakes instead of repeating their strengths?

I suppose you could consider the push for better graphics in Thief (2016), or even Deadly Shadows to an extent, although that may be more of a general industry trend than Thief specific...
Roads?  Where we're going we don't need roads.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 03:15:17 AM »
Well, none comes to mind at the moment, at least not for this exact reason. There was Dragon Age 2 but that was not trying to correct mistakes, that was just a test by EA to see if such a game could be developed in a year (the answer was clearly... NO).

What Gopher describes is very specific to Bethesda though as I learned recently that most ideas that were proposed by youtubers for Fallout 4 were included in Fallout 4. As such that wouldn't be a big problem -- could even be nice -- if Bethesda didn't get rid in the process of a lot of things what were the strengths of the franchise, most notably in the game mechanics and the role-playing area. One of the major issues (to quote an example): people were asking for a voiced protagonist... fine... except that they didn't realize what Bethesda was going to do with that wish. There is a voiced protagonist in Fallout 4 (both male and female) but in exchange we lost the gazillion of questions that could be asked in conversation in previous games for a choice between one interrogation and three answers that are sarcastic, forceful or nice (they managed to make the conversation system poorer than Mass Effect or Dragon Age Inquisition). By this a large part of the role-playing that was the strength of Fallout 3 and even more Fallout New Vegas -- after all they ARE RPGs -- went down the drain. I can't even imagine this system in Skyrim. And now everyone is going ballistic at the prospect of seeing that in TES6.

Did Bethesda tried to correct mistakes... yes definitely but they (inexplicably in some cases) decided to discard a lot of what was actually working and didn't need fixing doing so.

But as Gopher said, we're also at fault here because humanity makes a point of complaining about what we don't like while never saying nice things about what we DO like. Almost no one ever drop a message in a dev forum saying "such an such things were awesomely done". It's always "that thing doesn't work".

Even when writing some reviews it's hard to focus on the good things when you see many wrongs.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline bobdog

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 10:59:19 AM »
Squeaky wheel syndrome, where only the loudest, most obnoxious voices ever seem to be heard.

everything