Author Topic: Change in policies (maybe temporary, maybe not...)  (Read 633 times)

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
Change in policies (maybe temporary, maybe not...)
« on: December 07, 2016, 01:03:36 PM »
As some of you may have noticed, the site was down for a period of time during the last couple of days. In fact it was taken offline by our host (again) following an exaggerated consumption of resources (again) due to spammers hitting on the site hard (again, except they were Chinese this time instead of Russian... what a change).

As a result, effective now until I decide otherwise, the registration to the forums is deactivated. No registration means no new members, no new members means no way for spammers to use the system for their purpose. With some luck they might get the FUCKING MESSAGE this time. I also had to block a whole Chinese ISP IP address range but that's what they get for not doing their own laundry (get rid of the spammers shamelessly using your servers and we'll see). It doesn't really matter anyway as at least 90% of people who registered over the past year were spammers, spambots and the like (proven or suspected).

Additionally I've also taken offline the contact forms for the main site as lately it was used for a similar purpose. Apparently it never occurred to spammers that the thing is read by real human and not destined to be automatically posted on the site.

Let's be clear: getting rid of unwanted spammers is one thing. Having the sites down because of spammers hitting the server hundreds of time per hour is unacceptable. And I have other things to do in life than managing spammers. I don't even make any penny from the site and as such I have absolutely no intention to subscribe a plan that will cost me more just to accommodate spammers pumping our resources.

The Foxhole is not the only site suffering from spam attacks. We're not especially targeted for any particular reason. The guys behind this have fucking computers that browse sites all day long in search for websites to put their crap on (generally those who are using well known software for their operation as is our case and the case of almost all private webmasters who don't have the $100,000 to have a custom software made). The humans behind don't even have to do a thing. In fact intelligence is not even required (as is demonstrated to me everyday by the sometime hilarious and always painfully complicated fake email addresses that are supposed to fool security measures) because some people have patiently developed spam software almost easier to use than your standard video game. The fact is spam is killing the internet... slowly, one bit at a time. because most low profile sites like ours do not have the mean to put people on watch 24/24 to protect against spam or against surges like those of the last two days. If that continues the real internet (I mean people who are doing sites for the love of it and to share similar interests with friends and/or debating with other people) will be dead by 2030. All that will remain will be corporate websites, retailers websites and government websites and the only way to continue and try to share your experience with friends will be the corporate controlled and aseptic social websites (Facebook, Youtube... etc.) which are themselves a treasure room for spam, although not the commercial style... the much more insidious political kind.

Again, sorry for those people that might be affected by the measure I have taken and who are not involved in spamming in any way but that's the way it goes. To paraphrase the saying, a few rotten apples and the whole basket goes. It's what is happening to the internet today. At least to the independently managed websites like ours.

Of course, people who already have an account with us will still retain full access as usual.

Also I will be taken additional measures in the coming days, getting rid for example of accounts which have not been logged into for more than 6 months. I think that if you don't care login into a site at least once in six months, you don't really care about it anyway.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline bobdog

Re: Change in policies (maybe temporary, maybe not...)
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 11:28:26 PM »
Thanks for your hard work -- it is much appreciated that we still have a home here.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
Re: Change in policies (maybe temporary, maybe not...)
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 08:25:15 PM »
I've been quite busy the last couple of days to do anything more than check in quickly, but I did notice that the sheer amount of "A New Member Has Joined!" e-mails I get (usually involving nineteen million variations on "nohninplexwhatever") have dwindled to nothing. :heavym:

Awesome work.  :ok:
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

everything