Author Topic: Zenimax $500 millions richer... Will that speed up TES 6?  (Read 543 times)

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
Zenimax $500 millions richer... Will that speed up TES 6?
« on: February 05, 2017, 06:44:47 PM »
In a bit of a drama lawsuit that occurred last month, Zenimax (owner of both Id software and Bethesda Softworks) attacked Facebook and Oculus for theft of trade secrets which according to their claim took place when John Carmack (previously CEO of Id) left Id to work on the Oculus Rift VR headset, bringing with him code that was developed while he was still Id and hence belonged to Zenimax.

The judge didn't buy the "trade secret theft"  part of the lawsuit but he did order Facebook and Oculus to pay Zenimax $500 millions for copyright infringement. And as the copyright infringement is acknowledged that leaves some room for Zenimax to prevent Facebook/Oculus from distributing any product that would include Zenimax proprietary code -- which is the case of the current Oculus Rift technology. Zenimax didn't say they will but that they'll "think about it" (or in other words, we need more money than these pitiful $500 millions or we'll block your sales). Originally, Zenimax went for a claim of $6 billions.

But of course we don't care about all that. The only thing we care about is... are $500 millions enough to get at last a top notch engine with adequate graphic quality for a reasonable resources consumption (AKA "PleaseNotFallout4Again")  for The Elder Scrolls 6 as well as a Witcher 3 quality questing, characterization and story? Should be as CD Projekt RED had less than a tenth of that to work with. But hey, you never know...

Maybe $6 billions really were the bare minimum to get all that?

[Yeah knowing me and knowing Zenimax/Bethesda, you can guess I'm being sarcastic...]

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

everything