Author Topic: Mass Effect 3: My Shepard Is Awesome  (Read 745 times)

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Mass Effect 3: My Shepard Is Awesome
« on: February 17, 2017, 02:03:56 PM »
Just thought you'd like to know.

Reasoning: Because I can. Getting her this far was something of an ordeal, but the state of ME3 modding has vastly improved since the game's release. For example, the hair mod and armor are modded in as DLCs, which makes texmod (always a pain in the ass) and asset-tweaking obsolete. Fortunately, I'm not bothered much by game mechanics, so my mods are kept at an absolute minimum.

No, my biggest problem was getting her into a presentable state. I might have restarted and edited the living CRAP out of the saves (thanks to gibbed's savegame editor) eight or nine times...until finally I'm pretty much happy with the results. I would like more control over how wide her mouth is (something that also plagues my FO4 characters, with their Joker smiles), as well as more precise tweaking of her nose, but I've come to expect such a dismissive attitude towards facegen from Bioware. The dickheads.

But why...WHY do I think anyone might give a good goddamn about any of this shit? Because I have nothing else to do at the moment, as I am waiting for the guy to finish maintenance on the A/C unit and leave, so I can finally take an epic 4-hour nap. And there you have it.
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
Re: Mass Effect 3: My Shepard Is Awesome
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 10:25:02 AM »
She IS awesome... I don't find a problem with her mouth but yeah, her nose might need a little more refinement.

On another almost related note, after having watched the videos for Mass Effect Andromeda... I'm totally... unimpressed. Seriously a black rectangular mask over the eyes is the only thing they could find to give some character to an Asari? She certainly does look absurd so if it was the effect planned... bravo! Job done! Or: "let's go for an idiotic haircut!", because what says more "I'm badass" than an idiotic haircut? As for the gameplay it seems akin to a gazillion of space shooters out there. "Yea! Look! My multitool is a flamethrower now!" Seriously? I already thought that the multitool blade in ME3 was too much but there we go into the twilight zone -- and I let you meditate on the usefulness of a flamethrower with no oxygen to burn. No class... you can be whatever you want (I guess there are pros and cons in that) As for the characterization and story (which were previously the two main strengths of Bioware) we don't really know because they didn't seem willing to give us a hint. It's more like "Hey, look at all the skills you have now!".

I already had reasons to not buy Mass Effect Andromeda, mainly because it will be an Origin exclusive, of course, and Origin is an idiotic platform developed by a bunch of dimwits with which I cannot hope to use my Steam Controller the way it is supposed to work (I've been using it exclusively in games for a year -- seriously I didn't play with a keyboard in a year -- and the only games causing problem are EA Origin exclusives... obviously; interestingly each time someone comes with a solution to make the SC works with Origin games, an Origin update comes shortly after that renders the solution invalid). Anyway, looking at all the videos doesn't exactly entice me to go the extra mile and buy it, certainly not at the announced retail price (that would be encouraging money vampires -- you know that they are selling the brand "Mass Effect" they are not tailoring the price to the actual product qualities -- or lack of).

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 10:23:36 PM »
Just for comparison's sake, this is the very first version of this Shepard:

Gaaaaah. The face shape setting I was using makes the face more angular, but it also screws up the noses badly. It's like Bioware is completely unaware of what people actually look like. So I changed the value...the nose isn't perfect, but it's the best I can do with what they've given me.

But I have the worst trouble with noses (in just about every game). I'd like to push in the bridge a little, maybe lower the...I'm kidding myself. There is no option for refinement in ME's facegen. Here is a narrow array of noses, each more hideous than the last. Try not to look directly at the hairsyles available to you, as they have been known to cause outbursts of psychotic rage in many of our test subjects.

Still, I find it sort of amusing that, for all of FO4's vaunted user-friendly customization, 99% of all "this is MY nora!!" face saves look the same. The only thing that changes is the hair. And in addition to the mediocre hair, most of the hair mods are absolute crap, too. Meanwhile, in the Skyrim community, a dynamic team of visionaries is releasing 4k retextures of the embalming tools...

...clearly, we live in an age of wonders.

Speaking of which, I understand that Andromeda is pretty much the Skyrim of the Mass Efect series (with ME1 being Morrowind, ME2 being Oblivion, and ME3 being a Simon game with a massive budget and a worse payoff for winning). Makes sense: characters with goofy hair and bad face paint, classless character builds, and a starting flame spell. Oh, I'm IN, Bioware! Skyrim in space! Bring on the space dragons!

I still haven't decided on buying it new, yet. I know that the next year will entail endless patches that break various things, overpriced DLC featuring items that should've been in the base game, the torment of a sadistically limited facegen experience, half-assed modding tools developed by yutzes who really should be on ADHD meds (or at least undergoing shock therapy), Bioware's reaction to those modding tools (i.e., a patch that will break them), all brought together by the -- I agree -- idiotic platform developed by a bunch of dimwits.

So, yeah. It should be a fun year. :ss-meh

By the way, there are three editions available for pre-order. First, there's the Standard Edition...which only masturbating LOSERS will buy (if I am reading between the lines of their hype correctly). So no one wants THAT. But should you own that stigma anyway (wave that Freak Flag high, lonely self-abuse enthusiast!), here's what you get for pre-ordering:

- Deep Space Explorer Armor.
- Multiplayer Booster Pack.
- Nomad skin.

Then there's the Deluxe Edition, which, in addition to the game that's already been gutted of all the interesting equipment by EA's marketing demons for use as future DLC content, adds the following:

- Pathfinder Casual Outfit.
- Scavenger Armor.
- Pathfinder Elite Weapon Set.
- A pet pyjak.
- Digital Soundtrack.
- Multiplayer Deluxe Launch Pack.

Finally, there's the Super Deluxe Edition, which for the low, low price of USD $99.99, features a 1:16-scale acrylic statue of a hapless customer being ass-reamed by the EA logo. No, just kidding. It's much, much worse:

- Multiplayer Super Deluxe Booster Packs.

Thaaaaaat's right! "Own co-op play with the best multiplayer value - a weeky Premium Pack for a 20 week period the deliver an ongoing boost to your progression. (1 pack per week, for 20 weeks.)"

As I consider multiplayer to be one step removed from an exciting career as a suicide bomber, I will not be buying that edition.

The prices:

Standard: $59.99
Deluxe: $69.99
Super-Duper Happy Fun Expialidocious Deluxe: $99.99

A $30 difference between the last two editions. For multiplayer. A fool and his money...

So. Count on, in a couple of years, all of the pre-order bonuses being released as DLC anyway.
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 07:08:09 AM »
Amusing comparison... price in Euros:

Standard: €59.99
Deluxe: €69.99

So right there we have a $1 - €1, not surprising... But suddenly the top most edition: €89.99

Apparently, the ratio dollar/euro is susceptible to variations depending on the amount paid...

Edit: and EA just asked me my opinion about Origin... So I let them know.... "From 0 to 10, would you recommend Origin to your friends?".... Zero (that's because there was nothing below zero). But I also explain them why (for what it's worth because I'm sure that anything below 5 is automatically discarded).
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 07:29:59 AM by Starfox »

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

everything