Author Topic: Because I Could  (Read 576 times)

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Because I Could
« on: March 03, 2017, 08:58:16 AM »
So after maybe four or five hours of trial and error (mostly error), I present...Robes. Ignore the gun.

Next up, I'm hoping to get my black leather Dawnguard armor into the game...fun, fun!

But first: a bowl of Frosted Cheerios to quieten the gnawing in my gut. And after that: like a vampire bat, I will swoop down and bury my fangs in the neck of others who know far more about this stuff than I ever will, to drain them of their precious knowledge so that I may be able to do...what I...cannot...otherwise...okay, this simile is awful. I reject it utterly.

So...um...okay: thanks to a tutorial -- Skyrim To Fallout 4 Armor Conversion Tutorial -- and my usual rotten sleeplessness, I was able to get this done.
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
Re: Because I Could
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 09:53:42 PM »
The Dawnguard armor didn't turn out like I'd hoped...in fact, nothing went as well as it should have, which is how the Real World works, I guess.

The armor needs to have been converted to CBBE before starting the process; problem is, whoever did the CBBE conversion (it wasn't Caliente) I used botched the mesh. There were tears in the chest, the legs...and anything inside the mesh (say, a body) would show through the rips.

So I had to convert the original armor myself. Wasn't too hard, really.

With my newly-converted armor ready, I went to work. It's not like my Skyrim version of the armor, actually...that version has the apprentice mage robe's belt, various things alpha'd out...I'll retry that effect later. For now, it works.

However, I'm not too happy with it.

For one thing, she's REALLY flat-chested. Problem is, increasing the bust size via Bodyslide reminds the intrepid mesh-perverter that the model is low-poly crap. It's awful. For another thing, the shoulders are somewhat hunched. For a third thing, and this is the only thing I can change aboutit without too much trouble, is that the [really bad word] underlying arms clip through the [same really bad word] sleeves during movement.

The hell of it is that neither of these armors show any skin, yet it's necessary to have the body mesh involved. If I could just blip that out of there, I would have fewer problems. Maybe that's another thing I'm missing. The tutotials aren't all that helpful, really...

Ah, well. I'll try out the other robe armors I threw together for Skyrim, see if they look okay.

...I wonder if Daedric...hmmm... :purplelaugh:
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 05:15:17 AM »
Black leather.

Better than the DG armor...and I think I know how to remedy my woes, now that I know what I'm doing.

...I'll pause here a moment and let that sink in. I don't think I've ever said that I know what I'm doing. I may have just uttered the most frightening thing anyone's ever said in the history of humankind.

Anyway. It may help that I used the smallest-weight mesh, instead of the largest-weight that the tut recommended. More experimentation to come.

EDIT: forgot to bore the shit out of everyone.

That horrible clipping I mentioned previously -- the base body clipping through the armor itself -- was solved when I completely removed the base body in nifskope. Loading the mesh in bodyslide also seemed to make the sliders work better. I was expecting horrendous crashes/lockups/tsunamis/Cheez Whiz festivals, etc., but the game never even blinked.

Huh. I may redo the robes with this in mind, but it works so well as it is...apart from a small patch of skin showing through the area of her left shoulder blade when crouched. What bugs me is that the original mesh needed a tiny little collar of skin...and when I removed the base body, it caused a happy little see-through gap at the collar. But instead of going with Plan B (suicide-bombing my neighbor's goddamn dog), I think I may have a way around that stupidity.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 05:24:07 AM by Silver Sorrow »

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 08:35:05 AM »
Old problems are solved, new problems crop up. Such is life.

I got the robes into a good state; my workaround worked with just a slight gap around her neck...not very noticeable unless you're looking for it. So then I go stand in the sun:

I'm gonna pretend that the drape is not several shades lighter than the main robe, nor am I even going to ponder the dilemma of the seat of her pants clipping through the drape. I choose denial...or is it opting for apathy? I like the sound of the latter.

Also, I am going to completely ignore the way the drape/skirt acts when crouched.

I deny everything.

And while I finally got that Dawnguard leather outfit exactly as I warped it in Skyrim...

...it occurs to me that her boots cast no shadows.

Excuse me a moment.

:blowingpmad:

Thank you. This is something else that I will ignore. And never mind the fact that she's as thin as a teenage boy. I think I'm doing well enough to get this crap into the game without something going very, very wrong.

And only four hours' worth of effort today! A random bystander might even be so impressed with the fruit of my labors to exclaim, "Congratulations! You followed someone else's instructions! Idiot!"

And they would be correct.

And what's next? Maybe the other robes. Maybe a nap. Definitely a nap.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 03:24:04 PM »
Well...THAT didn't turn out as I'd hoped.

This was actually a test to see if I could get this complicated chunk of polygons into the game. I did, and I wish I hadn't. It's something I won't even bother to keep, unless someone makes a mod featuring a gay pride parade marching through the heart of south Boston, in which case my whippet-thin lass will be on hand to be the Grand Marshall...or whatever they call the person out front. ::)

As badly as this went, I'm wondering if that Blackguard armor I have will be as stupid as the other armors I've done so far. (I mean, they. just. don't. fit. in. the. game.)

Worst Foghorn Leghorn cosplay costume EVER.

No, I think it'll end up looking pretty damn dumb. But I'll try anyway, because if there is anyone so supremely dedicated to being stupid just for stupidity's sake...

everything