Author Topic: Random Babbling: 2017  (Read 259 times)

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
Re: Random Babbling: 2017
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2017, 03:27:07 PM »
Starfox, I was thinking you said you'd been in the army, but i guess you had to turn all the ordinance back in.

Shhhh... That's a subject we'll never ever discuss again...   

:lol:

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2017, 11:11:35 PM »
Whenever I think "Alan Parsons Project," it's always inextricably entwined with Eric Woolfson's voice. That guy was The Man. Just thought I'd mention that.  :ok:

And in a somewhat more risque frame of mind concerning a previous post making mention of Bai Ling's feral cat tattoo on her lady area, I would humbly offer this double (and possibly even more) entendre/pun: "I tawt I taw a puddy tat! I did! I did taw a puddy tat!"

That's all, folks!

:ss-facepalm

Uh...anyway, having seen that Bethesda isn't too concerned about releasing a new TES game within the next year (a dumbass card game is NOT an acceptable substitute!), I resigned myself to ignoring them for the forseeable future. Similarly, EA/Bioware/Satan has back-burnered Mass Effect and won't even talk about Dragon Age...however, since both franchises' most recent installments were dismal slogs at best, that's probably a good idea.

So with no prospects for a massive RPG -- one that I would like, that is -- in the near future, I threw myself into finally finishing DA Inquisition. I never finished the Hakkon DLC, nor did I buy the other two, and I figured...why the hell not.

Btw, I should point out that the fixing of ME Andromeda is proceeding procedurally, with a patch every month fixing some of the stupid things that were broken. They managed to toss in a couple more chargen options, but it's still woefully underdeveloped; but at least they added a node in the Tempest's med bay that will let you redo your face if you want. But the biggest fix that they've implemented is giving more gay romance options to the male Ryder character. Yes. With all the other things wrong and/or stupid with this game, they came to the conclusion that the most glaringly wrong thing with the game is that it didn't have enough queer fucking.

So when you're left wondering why they don't just fix the game, it's because someone in charge over there has his thumb jammed firmly up his ass, daydreaming about burly aliens.

Anyway, back to DAI. Since Bioware's not patching the living crap out of it anymore, the mod tools have stabilized. It's still not 100%; Descent is still so wonky that it's recommended to disable mods before you start it...if you NEED to use them while playing, then do so...but disable them before leaving the DLC's area, or bad things will occur. I just disabled them entirely for the duration of the DLC. And I had to suffer with these eyebrows throughout:

Those are the brows that were replaced by a mod; I didn't choose them myself. Seriously, Bioware: what moron(s) amongst you thought those monstrosities were a good idea??

So once I was done with The Descent -- and good friggin' riddance -- I could reenable my mods.

Much better.

And even though Descent was painful, a far more stupidly difficult experience than it should have been, the entire ordeal was made up for by some really ugly armor and items, such as the Lyrium Staff model. (Although not as hideous as the basic game's Red Lyrium weapons. Yikes.) I try to ignore the ugly staff. It just doesn't go with my ensemble.

Still, this can be a fantastic-looking game with the right mods --

-- but that doesn't mean that it isn't a complete pain in the ass in other ways. The DLC, for example, are STUPID hard, even on Casual. Especially on Casual; those of us who play on Casual aren't interested in ten-minute knock-down drag-outs with anything less than a High Dragon...some of us don't have the patience due to many factors. It took my horde of...well, maybe "Inquisitorial Squad" is more appropriate...a few minutes or so just to take down TWO bad guys. These are the stats of one:

Why am I even there? They're immune to just about anything I have in my arsenal, so what's the point?

It didn't get any better, really. But I made it through somehow, and I was somewhat enraged by the poor handling of the whole thing: they could have made this a fascinating mini-story of the Dwarves, but instead turned it into a brain-damaged slug-fest. Insipid.

So I decided to finish the MQ before tackling Jaws Of Hakkon; last time I tried it -- before they stopped patching the game -- it was a crash-happy disappointment. But thanks to knowing what to avoid (don't let Cassandra use the Lunge & Slash ability, or whatever it's called), it's just a disappointment. The foes are Stupid Hard (of course), and it was with keen depression that I realized that Vivienne's craftable Maleficent hat was only wearable by...you guessed it, Vivienne.

God damn it all to Hell. What's the POINT, I asked quite reasonably.

So I'll continue with it, much as I'd like to shit-can the whole thing at this point. After Hakkon I'll finally get to Trespasser, although I don't have much hope for it.

Stupid camera crap.

Note to self for future reference: when an NPC or companion asks me a question and the dialog wheel won't let me make any choices, toggle free camera mode to off with the "o" key; then I'll be able to click on the conversation choices. Way to go, Bioware. :P
But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2017, 10:46:03 AM »
"I tawt I taw a puddy tat! I did! I did taw a puddy tat!"

And what next? You wait for grand mother to come and hit it hard with a pointy object... and for the cries and incessant moaning that will ensue.

See, French are not very good at innuendo  :lol:

So with no prospects for a massive RPG -- one that I would like, that is -- in the near future, I threw myself into finally finishing DA Inquisition.

So, still haven't played The Witcher 3, have you? "Massive" right there... RPG too (much more than Fallout 4 at any rate). Or you can wait for Cyberpunk 2077 but there's no ETA on that as CDPR always says for their games "when it's done".

As for Bethesda Softworks (the publisher, not Bethesda Games Studios, the developer) all I can say about their latest idea is "prrft" and feel free to quote me.

Two paragraph in their FAQ that triggered a tornado on twitter and other social media because they contradicted themselves pretty nicely.

Is Creation Club paid mods?
No. Mods will remain a free and open system where anyone can create and share what they’d like.

How do I get Creation Club content?

Creation Club is available via in-game digital marketplaces in both Fallout 4 and Skyrim Special Edition and purchased with Credits. Credits are available for purchase on PSN, Xbox Live, and Steam. Your Credits are transferable and can be used in both games on the same platform.

Obviously Bethesda Softworks PR are not communication geniuses. So let's try to clarify a bit.

The idea they had is to create kind of an Elite club of developers to issue new content as incredibly stupid as the things shown at E3 (crab armor, backpack, new sword... seriously I hope that was just a proof of concept guys) or - best outcome and let's hope for that - something of the caliber of Dawnguard, Dragonborn or even Enderal... who knows? Developers outside Bethesda will be allowed to join if their project is approved and will be able to participate in their project albeit possibly loosing any kind of rights to it -- that's the part Bethesda Softwork was not talking about. And if I have an advice to give to any modder who would be willing to join... read the fine print before signing anything.

For the content issued by this "Elite Club" well, yeah, you WILL have to pay. It won't be free -- more precisely you'll have to buy some fictional money as you had to buy Bioware points for example then use this fictional money to buy the Club content. What they're trying to say with "it's not paid mods" is that the other modders (outside the club) will retain the right to do as they please.

So in a nutshell it's seems just like a revival of what they were trying to do on Steam a few years ago and that Valve decided to kill because it was a nightmare. The big difference is that this time they decided to actually curate the mods and include them as part of their in-house development Which should be a good thing (underscore "should").

Of course a lot of issues remain unclear especially for modders. What do they have to gain? Bethesda says "same thing than our own developers" (but without the actual job) which may be taken as "you'll be paid a stipend during the development but as soon as the project is finished, bye bye" and then you won't have any revenue from the commercial side of things either. But hey, maybe I'm just a bad mouth, maybe Bethesda Softwork and Zenimax are more generous than i think them to be.

That said, if they produce at least Dragonborn level mods at reasonable prices, meh, sure why not... But if they intend to sell the crap they displayed at E3, count me out. We don't need  another armor, backpack, sword... They're already gazillions out there.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2017, 06:38:17 PM »
Well...the Steam Summer Sale is ongoing. If for nothing else, this is when I take the time to go through my wishlist and weed out the crap. Never gonna play it, nope, what was I thinking, still overpriced after five years...that sort of thing. Bethesda dropped the price of Doom to $29.99...way overpriced...and the sale takes it down to a "mere" $14.99...enh, let's see if they knock another ten bucks off the thing in the Fall sale.

Same thing with Shadow Warrior 2, which at 40% off is $23.99...too much. Prey is discounted 34% (?!?) and is $39.59. WAY too much. Give 'em a couple of seasons' worth of non-sales and they'll be cheaper than a Van Helsing sequel.

That's the problem with digital goods: there's no physical merchandise to make the stores desperate for space. Got 175 boxes of Rage that no one wants, what am I going to do to free up some space for the 600 boxes of Final Fantasy MCMXLVIII that no one will buy?? I know! I'll mark 'em all down to $4 and throw in a random page ripped from a Hustler Jerry found in the break room!

Anyway.

And what next? You wait for grand mother to come and hit it hard with a pointy object... and for the cries and incessant moaning that will ensue.

Not that I am pro-violence against women, but I admit that seeing some granny whack Bai Ling in the crotch with a board with a nail in it would be astoundingly awesome. :ok:

So, still haven't played The Witcher 3, have you? "Massive" right there... RPG too (much more than Fallout 4 at any rate).

Aha! I have been trying out Witcher 3...just cautiously, though. The combat's still a little overwhelming, but I'm getting used to it. If anything, it's certainly way better than FO4, Andromeda, etc., in just the small amount I've played.

"prrft"

There. You're quoted.  ;D

Bethesda and Zenimax are just...man. They're just a bunch of out-of-touch idiots who want to control all aspects of the modding angle of their games because, by God, there's money out there that they don't have yet. :madatwall:
But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart.

everything