December 18, 2017, 06:31:10 AM

Author Topic: Random Babbling: 2017  (Read 933 times)

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Re: Random Babbling: 2017
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2017, 07:02:41 AM »
A little while back, when that CE/BCE nonsense was just beginning to make itself a nuisance, my mother was watching a movie that was using the terminology and she asked me what all that meant. I said something like, "It means that the atheists are all high-fiving each other right now." But I did explain it...and her response was far more to the point than mine: "That's stupid." :ok:
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2017, 02:44:45 PM »
I'd like to thank Apple for saving me $200 or thereabouts. Since my iPod Nano crapped out (nostalgia post: right here) a few months ago, I've been in the market for a new mp3 player. My chronic procrastination -- not to mention my dislike for spending $30 or more for anything -- meant that I've been taking my bittersweet time in buying one. Plus, there's the conundrum of three different types of iPod, which leads to my least favorite headache: comparison shopping.

After psyching myself up -- mantra: "Although The Experience Almost Killed You Last Time, What Are The Odds Of It Finishing The Job?" -- I found that there was no comparison page. Odd. I looked around for a while, but no sign of anything other than the iPod Touch. Obviously I'm not a fan of knowing what's going on so I had to do a bit of Googling...turns out that since people are just using their smartphones to play their music, Apple's pretty much dropping the iPod...except for the Touch, which is about the size of a smartphone anyway.  ::)

The Touch has it all: video, a camera, the ability play just about every multmedia format known, and it might even play music...I'm not sure. Problem is, I don't WANT it all. I just want it to play music. I don't want a camera. I don't want to play videos. To step back into the 1990's for perspective: it's like having a TV and a VCR and a Polaroid glued to a Walkman.

(Side note: this is why I dread the idea of getting a phone. There's no one I need to call and I hate texting, so I don't have a cell. But I imagine that someday I'll be forced to get one, and I just know I'll have deal with yet another intrusive device that doesn't need a camera but has one anyway.)

So I did some shopping on Amazon. I found a Tomameri 16gb player (uses a micro SD card, supports up to 32gb) for 22 bucks.

The money I saved will be spent on something stupid and useless (of course), but it won't be wasted on yet another technological doodad that could be repurposed as a gynecological/proctological device in a pinch.
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2017, 04:40:46 PM »
But what REALLY pisses me off is...hold that thought. I saw this woman on TV today who said "I will LITERALLY be pissed off!" I think I'd like to see that.

Okay. What irks my ire is one of the more recent of Sofia Vergara's Head & Shoulders commercials. At the end of the ad, she's washing her hair...but there's no water and she's totally dry. (Oddly, I cannot find it online and so you'll just have to take my word for it for now.) She's *acting* like she's washing her hair, but...it's just sad. This is how it should be, more or less. Less, actually, as I could've done without the image of green stuff in her teeth.

On a somewhat related side note, has anyone ever gotten medicated shampoo in their eye(s)? Jesus.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2017, 11:08:56 PM »
In this morass of death, uncertainty, and up-to-the-minute horror that we refer to as "life," I find comfort in one unassailable fact: peppermint and fruit punch really do not go well together. And you can put that on my tombstone, by God.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2017, 09:23:08 PM »
I'd like to commend the Sonic corporation for bolstering community pride with its practice of hiring local deaf retards.**

[**i.e., "Teenagers."]

Similarly, Taco Bell must also be recognized for their bold initiative of eschewing such requirements as "knowing how to cook food" and "being able to count to two" from employee qualifications.

Bravo, all.

And now, an illustration of something that is only exaggerated slightly:

"I'd like a large Coke."

"A what?"

"A large Coke."

"A large what?"

"Coke."

"You want a Coke."

"Yes."

"What size was that?"

"Large."

"What?"

"LARGE."

Handed through the window: a medium Dr. Pepper.

Again, exaggerated slightly. Slightly.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2017, 09:13:25 PM »
I'm considering writing a musical. It's the story of a young African-American Mormon man dealing with the the trials and triumphs of polygamy in modern-day Utah. I'm calling it "Seven Brides For One Brother."

Offline bobdog

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2017, 12:58:10 PM »
THAT'S the Silver we know and love!!  :funup:

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2017, 08:42:33 PM »
I have my good days.  :lol:

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2017, 03:13:04 PM »
Hardcore stuff man  :lol: the ESRB doesn't even have a rating for that...

I'm going with my own ranting or more like... bemusement. Because apparently seeing how Youtube, Reddit and others got agitated during the past weeks... gamers around the world are finally realizing that EA doesn't give a shit about their opinion. But they needed the whole "loot boxes" thing to realize that which as dear POTUS would put it "is sad". But finally even the most fanboy among EA fans is seeing the light...

(note: if you don't know what loot boxes are, type in a search on Youtube but to be short, they are the way EA and a few others found to allow gamers who can afford the bill to cheat others by paying to gain stuff that would take them hours of playing to access the normal way so basically you can get instant L33T if you have the money for it).

0.8/10 yep that's the user Metacritic score for Star Wars Battlefront 2 with 4400+ votes (for reference the official review score is 74/100).

And to be clear... mostly everyone think that SWB2 is a good game (well, it's mainly MP so I won't be playing it but whatever) what is rated there is not the game but EA practices.

And who is running for its 3rd "the worst company in America" award in less than 5 years?

What is sad in all that is that this EA practice doesn't come from nowhere. First it has been on every smartphone for the past 10 years (that's where in-game micro-transactions come from) and the first time that EA tried the thing was in the MP component of Mass Effect 3 back in 2012. This was not called loot boxes back then but they were still micro-transactions allowing some gamers to pay to gain an unfair advantage, hence legalized cheating for the rich.

But apparently there had to be a wide scale effort before anyone really noticed what's happening. And now thanks to games like SWBF2 or the recent Call of Duty they noticed... They so noticed that both the Dutch and Belgian governments recently launched an investigation on SWBF2 for illegal transactions because the said transactions suspiciously look to them like gambling (and gambling -- at least the one with real money -- is illegal in both countries).

But you know what despite that EA will sell a shitload of copies of SWBF2 so... they don't give a shit. However they removed loot boxes just before launch day because you know... Too much bad publicity around the Star Wars franchise was starting to annoy Disney.

And round goes the world...

It's always easier to hate than to love and some game companies do really like to make it even easier for us.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2017, 07:53:19 AM »
People wonder why it's so windy in Oklahoma. The answer is very simple: it's because Texas sucks and Kansas blows.

Anyway!

You know you're evil when *Disney* starts looking at you funny... :lol:  Unmitigated greed, is the bottom line. I don't think corps have been this ostentaciously money-hungry since...hmmm. I'm thinking either turn-of-the-20th-century US garment factories or modern Chinese sweat shops.

REMOVED: a comment about Roger Waters perhaps being something of a Jew-hating bastard. I really couldn't find the context to justify it, not that I've ever needed justification for irrelevant slander. It's early. WAY too early. :hammerhead:
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 08:05:50 AM by Silver Sorrow »

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2017, 06:06:09 PM »
People wonder why it's so windy in Oklahoma. The answer is very simple: it's because Texas sucks and Kansas blows.

Funny thing, I'd have allowed myself something along those lines as a French, an awful lot of guns would be pointing at me right now, possibly mainly from Texas :biglaugh: (don't know what is the ratio gun/resident in Kansas but seriously if any state beats Texas on that account, let me know.)

On the other hand as an "Oklaho-man" I guess you're protected... kinda... maybe not so much... Well they can always be lenient and say "Yeah but the poor guy lives there. He's bitter, understandable. So yeah, I guess we can holster the goods... for now... but only this one time anyway it's not like he lived in Europe. he's right at our doorstep, we now where to find him... later"  :lol:

And to be clear... I have nothing against Texas (except for Dallas, the TV show). Even The Foxhole server was hosted in Houston some years ago (now we're in Chicago -- according to Geotool somewhere over or under, that's not really clear, the South Branch of the Chicago River; at least we're cool especially in Winter). Although there was a few months recently -- I say that for the trivia, really -- after Trump became the official POTUS when our server was moved all the way to Panama. I told myself "OK, he hates French". But then he met our own president and we're back in Chicago. I'm sure there's absolutely no relation whatsoever but the timing of these moves in relation to his was awfully funny.

Unmitigated greed, is the bottom line.

We leave the greed to others.
(Recent quote from CD Projekt after a little "whoops" moment that made gamers cringe).

It's always easier to hate than to love and some game companies do really like to make it even easier for us.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2017, 12:29:05 PM »
I will admit that Texans have more guns than us, but we're better looking and exhibit far less DNA damage. :lol:

I normally have zero problems with Texas or Texans -- except the ones who come up here and show off their moronic driving skills -- but when it comes to college football, they SUCK. Same deal with Kansas...except, yeah, they blow.

On a side note, totally related: Baker Mayfield, Heisman Trophy. Suck it Texas. Blow us, Kansas. Eat shit and die, Ohio.

In short, good year guys!  ;D

On a completely unrelated note, I've figured out how to solve a couple of serious issues, without having to get out of my chair (aside from frequent bathroom breaks). As you all know, the homeless aren't getting enough to eat and there are animals that are abused and so on and so on. So I put my (underwhelming) intellect on the case and managed to stagger into the light of day, nose bleeding profusely, with this brilliant (or something) solution: put the animal shelters next to the soup kitchens.

The homeless have something to eat, and the animals can exercise their right to be delicious. Problem solved.

Hate mail in regards to the above may be sent to trump@whitehouse.gov. Be sure and type "Death To America" in all-caps.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2017, 08:57:02 PM »
Random Thought Time

Okay, since Disney owns Star Wars, there is talk that Princess Leia can now be considered a Disney princess. (Although there is some resistance to the notion at Disney, if I'm not mistaken.) All fine and good. I wonder, though, if the same can be said of Julia Roberts' hooker-with-a-heart-of-gold-and-heavily-callused-knees character in Pretty Woman? Disney movie, female lead...et cetera.

I know. Apparently, I need a hobby.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2017, 11:54:55 AM »
I hate glitter.

And Kelly Clarkson.

And Mariah Carey from the neck up.

And the Ariel Winter wannabe at my local Walmarket who couldn't figure out how to make change. Sure, keep my 52 cents, you thieving bastards. See if I care.

And the bewildering, relentless onslaught of commercials that make me think that I just may be having a heart attack after all and I need to jump up right away and race to my local scanning facility and lay out a few hundred bucks for...for...wait a minute. Something fishy there...

And the endless ask-your-doctor-if-______-is-right-for-you commercials with such dire side effect warnings that it'd be far more sensible just to blow my brains out instead of taking the medication. But I wonder: what does it mean if I'm experiencing most of the side effects without ever having taken the pills??

And that Bioware would rather march in the gay pride parade than make good games.

And that my neighbor's dog hasn't died yet.

And the fact that, apparently, everyone in Hollywood subscribes to the Pepe Le Pew philosophy of romance.

To quote Carcass, "we all need someone...someone to hate."

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2017, 10:32:53 AM »
And Wyclef Jean. Heard his rendition of "Little Drummer Boy"? The guy should be torn apart by dogs.

And Netflix. "We don't have that movie. How about one that's sort of similar?"

And the entire process of bodily effluvia, including such elements as experiencing it personally AND as a horrified third party, cleaning it up, and worst of all, having incidents of its existence either described to me, or shown to me through the magic of television. In essence: I don't want to see it, smell it, or clean it up.

And sitting under an AC vent with a thermostat set to 72 degrees. Refer to the above paragraph on my bad days. Yaaaaaaaaaaaarp.

And collectibles that are marked 100% above retail on Amazon by third party sellers -- aka, "scalpers" -- just because they can.

And dry skin.

I've been told that I must offset hate with love, which...I don't know. I find it more comforting to wallow in my misery, but okay. I'll give it a whirl. I love:

Mariah Carey from the neck down.

Johnny Cash's version of "Little Drummer Boy."

Rush.

That's enough love for now. It wears me out. Green plastic watering can...