Author Topic: Random Babbling: 2017  (Read 660 times)

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Re: Random Babbling: 2017
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2017, 06:02:41 AM »
A little while back, when that CE/BCE nonsense was just beginning to make itself a nuisance, my mother was watching a movie that was using the terminology and she asked me what all that meant. I said something like, "It means that the atheists are all high-fiving each other right now." But I did explain it...and her response was far more to the point than mine: "That's stupid." :ok:
But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2017, 01:44:45 PM »
I'd like to thank Apple for saving me $200 or thereabouts. Since my iPod Nano crapped out (nostalgia post: right here) a few months ago, I've been in the market for a new mp3 player. My chronic procrastination -- not to mention my dislike for spending $30 or more for anything -- meant that I've been taking my bittersweet time in buying one. Plus, there's the conundrum of three different types of iPod, which leads to my least favorite headache: comparison shopping.

After psyching myself up -- mantra: "Although The Experience Almost Killed You Last Time, What Are The Odds Of It Finishing The Job?" -- I found that there was no comparison page. Odd. I looked around for a while, but no sign of anything other than the iPod Touch. Obviously I'm not a fan of knowing what's going on so I had to do a bit of Googling...turns out that since people are just using their smartphones to play their music, Apple's pretty much dropping the iPod...except for the Touch, which is about the size of a smartphone anyway.  ::)

The Touch has it all: video, a camera, the ability play just about every multmedia format known, and it might even play music...I'm not sure. Problem is, I don't WANT it all. I just want it to play music. I don't want a camera. I don't want to play videos. To step back into the 1990's for perspective: it's like having a TV and a VCR and a Polaroid glued to a Walkman.

(Side note: this is why I dread the idea of getting a phone. There's no one I need to call and I hate texting, so I don't have a cell. But I imagine that someday I'll be forced to get one, and I just know I'll have deal with yet another intrusive device that doesn't need a camera but has one anyway.)

So I did some shopping on Amazon. I found a Tomameri 16gb player (uses a micro SD card, supports up to 32gb) for 22 bucks.

The money I saved will be spent on something stupid and useless (of course), but it won't be wasted on yet another technological doodad that could be repurposed as a gynecological/proctological device in a pinch.
But I like it
Because it is bitter,

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2017, 03:40:46 PM »
But what REALLY pisses me off is...hold that thought. I saw this woman on TV today who said "I will LITERALLY be pissed off!" I think I'd like to see that.

Okay. What irks my ire is one of the more recent of Sofia Vergara's Head & Shoulders commercials. At the end of the ad, she's washing her hair...but there's no water and she's totally dry. (Oddly, I cannot find it online and so you'll just have to take my word for it for now.) She's *acting* like she's washing her hair, but...it's just sad. This is how it should be, more or less. Less, actually, as I could've done without the image of green stuff in her teeth.

On a somewhat related side note, has anyone ever gotten medicated shampoo in their eye(s)? Jesus.
But I like it
Because it is bitter,