Author Topic: Mass Effect Andromeda  (Read 2265 times)

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Mass Effect Andromeda
« on: March 24, 2017, 12:48:41 AM »
I've been dealing with Origin for a few days now. It involved getting ME and ME2 working with custom textures via me3explorer (because texmod don't work no mo' fo' me), and Origin was being a pain in the ass. As usual. It was a lot of pain and heartbreak that I won't elaborate upon, although when asked for feedback during a crash report, I asked them "What, did the hamster fall off the wheel again?" No comment back, but I am worried about that hamster.

And just when I get everything working in harmony...the new game's released.

Now, I rarely buy games on Day One anymore, unless they are BioWare or Bethesda titles (oh, and the Mystery Case Files games, even though they've been contracted out to some Russian studio). There's something enthralling about watching them fix their games.

So. Perhaps it was morbid curiosity that compelled me to pre-order Andromeda. Because, by gum, if everyone's going to be (potentially) screwed over by EA/BioWare once again, I want to be in on it from the beginning. Call it masochism if you must. I call it boredom.

Somewhat Accurate Analogy: my current toys aren't making me happy enough, so I need a new toy.

More On-Target: if I can manage to distract myself from the day's blackest despair, if only for an hour or two, then it's $70 well-spent. And cheaper than formal therapy, too.

Anyway.

So, I started this on Day One. Madness? Of course it is. While I had planned to wait it out, at least until they (EA/BioWare) fixed the bugs that everyone claimed "ruined the game" forever and ever amen, I found a clip that showed off the facegen. And even though the sliders are...fewer...than Inquisition's, they created some good-looking presets that would likely require far less effort on my part to make a character that I would be happy with.

I'm not entirely happy with the hair, but that's okay. I never am.

To address some of the issues causing the internet's collective ass-sphincter to clench to the size of a pinhole (because social media is exactly the interactive utopia that everyone hoped it would be):

Character Animations
Spotty in places. Weird, somewhat. Usually okay. In the med-bay of the Hyperion, I saw an asari medic leap over a bed instead of walking around it. And Cora walking like a gorilla.

Otherwise it wasn't all that bad. Although I tend to run into things face-first (deceleration? anyone?), it's not as soul-crushing as the nose-pickers would have you believe.

Face Animation
Well...not great. I've seen it pointed out that ME1's face animation was better...and it actually is, mostly. Everyone's mouths tend to do odd things, while some NPCs will stare at you with cold, dead eyes. So that could definitely be better. Apparently, the devs are possibly working on that.

Various Bugs
Besides my squadmates being complete morons, there's not a whole lot to complain about. My framerates are wonky upon loading, but they even out eventually. The most irritating bug, to me, is that the pointer gets stuck in the middle of the screen and I have to tab into a menu or something to move it.

Anyway.
I'm having a lot of fun with the game. Although all the info, etc. is overwhelming, and a few things aren't exactly explained as well as they should've been, it's good fun so far. Pissy neckbeards be damned.

Tip: when customizing your casual outfit/armor colors, lock in the color by hitting space (or whatever you assigned to "jump," I guess). That way your changes will be kept when you click on other parts of the outfit to be tinted.
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
Re: Mass Effect Andromeda
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 08:17:45 AM »
Well, I won't be buying it now and I explained to EA why (because they asked). Now if they want to donate the game to me... they can. I won't mind. But I certainly won't put €60 in a game that won't allow me to play the way I want (meaning with the Steam Controller that is always screwed by Origin). I could of course play with the keyboard and mouse... (I could even do that with the Steam Controller in fact) but I won't.

Second point, it is extremely difficult to get valid user opinions on this game because Origin obviously does not allow users to comment on or review games (why do you think EA came with Origin in the first place?) and the internet at large is rather full of fanboys and haters. So getting a valid opinion is pretty hard.

I heard of the facial animation woes and someone even posted a video with a side to side of Ashley from 2007 and one of the new characters and sure... the 2017 one seems like from 2007. There are also a lot of people complaining that the default playable female character looks like crap while she's pretty decent in real life and it's true, in the videos she looks like crap -- a wonder why they pay a real actress to use her likeness. No skin off my back though as I never play my characters with their default look.

Still no one is really clear on what is really important to me: characterization and story. I read talks of terrible writing of poor characters...

So guess what my dear Silver for once you'll be my guinea pig. How about that? Unpaid job sure but so gratifying.

:lol:

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 09:59:37 AM »
Oh, I don't mind...since I've been an involuntary guinea pig for every Bethesda game since Oblivion, it seems right, somehow. :lol:

Since posting, they've released a new patch, which supposedly fixed a few things, but...well...it sort of made performance worse, at least for me. It takes a little longer for eveything to smooth out than it used to when loading/resuming, and until then it's a jittery, slo-mo nightmare that is sort of like trying to drive home after a thorough eye exam.

Maybe not that bad. But it should be better, considering that the game got all crabby that my video drivers weren't bleeding edge when I first ran it. I hate updating my drivers. But I did it anyway, and...oh, well.

Anyway, the new patch didn't fix the center-of-screen pointer bug, either.

Faces: I'm not sure why they could look at cutscenes and think, hey, this is awesome and everyone will love it! No one on the internet will find fault with THIS! And how characters move...I'm not sure if anyone in their animation department knows anything about how people actually move. But at least they redesigned Avina in a more body-positive way. And by that, I mean "bigger tits."

I've never been a fan of the default playable characters either (even the default male Shepard was weird), but at least here the presets are passable. Hair still sucks, though.

Characters: I'm not all that impressed by my new squad, or the Tempest crew or, really, any given NPC. (The Tempest itself is awesome, so points for that.) The squad are...okay, it's fairly early in the game, so I haven't gotten the chance to love or hate them yet, but with that said, I don't find -- for example -- PeeBee to be all that annoying. Sure, she's a little weird and oddly exuberant, but I grew up with people like that. I've rarely finished a complete sentence in my entire life, thanks to these people.

It seems they're trying just a little too hard to make the characters memorable. Some of the characters I run into are either bland or complete assholes (Addison). The one character I did like is Lil' [your name here] Ryder's father. Of course, Clancy Brown is his voice actor, so it's unlikely that I would dislike him. (That he didn't brag about cutting off someone's head and having his way with his victim's woman before the guy's body was cold, was something of a minor disappointment.)

There's a female turian squaddie, who is at least novel. There's a krogan, because, hey, why not. The humans, well: there's a blond human woman with kinda weird hair and a black guy with a British accent, because I guess those are trendy now. I'm just wondering why there isn't a left-handed transgendered Latina with moderate-to-severe plaque psoriasis, because anything less would be an inforgivable insult to the LGBTWTF community. You'll be shamed on twitter. Ellen [Degeneres] will shun you.

There are others, but *yawn*. Again, just in the first stages...but I have yet to run into a Dawnstar (think Jade Empire, not Skyrim) or a Black Whirlwind so far. (ME had the latter in Wrex, more or less.)

On A Romantic Note: Ryder is able to plug away at those romantic innuendoes, saying precious things to random asari, etc. I'm avoiding the whole romance thing because, well, ick.

One of the new alien races, which I call the "arglebargles" (because I'm awful with names), all sound as if they're from Australia or thereabouts. (To quote Richard Jeni: "Find out why all the Romans in the movies have English accents.") I don't know why. Seriously: I may have misheard it, but I could've sworn that one of them actually mentioned visiting Australia. I know my hearing's been wonky of late, but...wow. A somewhat surreal moment.

Despite all that, I will say that I at least found the female Ryder's voice acting to be more or less pleasant. She sounds age-appropriate, and has that mix of hesitation/uncertainty of the untested with the cockiness of a teenager. Plus, she's kind of snarky at the right times ("would it help if I got out and pushed?").

There have been a few comic moments so far, my favorite being the squad complaining as I'm driving the Nomad on Voeld. One of them asks if we're going the right way...later, he points out the Nomad doesn't corner very well. To that, Ryder says something like "So help me, I swear I'm gonna turn this thing right around, and..."

Okay, on to more minuses:

A lot of emphasis is placed on mining and crafting. Perhaps too much emphasis. By that, I mean WAY too much emphasis. I get it: you're in a new galaxy, there aren't any hanar around to dick you over when you need a better sniper rifle. But this! For example, the material requirements to craft a set of N7 armor is just insane. By the time I was getting close to meeting those requirements (still short of the amount of platinum needed!?!), I found a complete set of tier II N7 armor for sale at a Nexus merchant.

And, once crafted, can I upgrade a weapon? I don't think so. You can add mods to it, but that's it. If you want to improve it, you can craft the next tier...

...this is what drove me nuts about Inquisition. I'm not a big fan of sewing my own pants, so to speak.

Another problem I'm having is being overwhelmed with side quests. (Some of them even require a back-and-forth between Nexus and planets to complete, but that's another weary rant for another damn day.) I can't go five feet without being alerted via map icon (for example) that there's someone else that needs something done. Yesterday I was griping that all I wanted to do was get on the goddamn ship and do some planet-scanning, but nooooooo. I had to run around the station scanning for short-circuited equipment for a botanist, finding ingredients for some bartender, doing an interview with an asari filmmaker, listening to Tann's fruity lisp, or any number of mind-numbing tasks designed to keep me from actually progressing through the game.

I got to one of the arglebargle planets, and the map, thanks to the sidequests picked up there, was an apocalypse of Things-To-Do icons.

And then you have Marvin The Robot Bitching Betty SAM commenting on anything and everything. Forward station deployed, you should scan this, you should scan that, there is mining potential here, the radiation/cold has increased, it's decreased, my what a lovely day, why don't we stop here and admire the view by which I mean piss off this cliff, and so on.

Related to the sidequests is the problem with actually wrapping them up neatly. For example, on Eos you have about sixteen million things to do, but you can't do them all due to the environmental limitations placed on the area. There are areas you just cannot access because of...well, pacing of story, etc., I guess. And these are given the "You Cannot Go There" treatment by way of lethal amounts of radiation. I wanted to get to a certain place to check off a sidequest, but I couldn't get there. Not yet. So I have to wait until I achieve something, be it a quest or some goal, and...

...okay. I need to take a break. More later. Here's my Ryder in her biker outfit. It's my new favorite thing ever.

I think the driving gloves make the ensemble work.
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 09:42:42 AM »
So I was playing Mass Effect: Sudoku yesterday...

:ss-facepalm

EDIT: I can do better than that. Penny Press Presents: BANZI!!! Sudoku INSANITY #17: Mass Effect!!

Experienced some pretty neat (read: annoying) animation bugs yesterday, too. I think the game has a problem with sloping terrain. I was stuck on Voeld all day (everyone needs SOMETHING from me, it seems), and PeeBee, being weird, ended up walking at an odd angle...

Speaking of sloping terrain, one of the NINE MILLION BILLION KAJILLION sidequests involved tracking down someone's friend, an arglebargle explosives expert, who hasn't checked in after detonating an enemy installation and everyone thinks she's dead but your quest giver doesn't think so and no one believes her and by all the gods that ever were, you're the only person in the goddamn galaxy who can find out her fate because apparently everyone forgot how to walk.

Gripping stuff, ain't it?

Anyway, after resolving the situation -- a task which no one else in the history of ever could do themselves -- I ran up to the Nomad and was about to jump in (because it was a level 1 cold hazard environment), when I suddenly (and involuntarily) shot at Ludicrous Speed right down the slope and onto the icy lake roughly a quarter mile away. It was a little unsettling.

Still, definitely more interesting than when PeeBee decided to face a wall and walk into it during one of the ENDLESS CONVERSATIONS I had to deal with. My Ryder is endlessly walking into a wall herself, at least metaphorically speaking.

And if I may gripe a little further here: what is the deal with NPCs not being able to say "Okay. See ya!"? Look, the cold is eating away at my life support; I'd like to dash into a safe zone, but nooooooooooo. You gotta ACT! You need to wring every shred of drama out of the scene. An only slightly exaggerated example:

RYDER: I'd better head out. Are you going to be okay? [Nooooo! Never ask that question in a Bioware game! You--oh, you idiot. You had to ask. Damn it.]

ARGLEBARGLE PRISONER: [breathing heavily, although I did all the damn work] Yes...[long pause]...I think so. [pauses again] I...I need to get back [pause] to my family. [more breathing] I [brief pause, ragged breathing] thank you, Pathfinder. [rising emotion, choked gasping] My family thanks you...my people thank you. They are, in alphabetical order...[and so on]

How I would've written it:

RYDER: I'm outta here.

ARGLEBARGLE PRISONER: Later.

And they would say their lines quickly, because I got shit to do, yo.

Something positive...gotta say something positive...ah! Well, instead of long elevator rides wherein you got to hear your homies chat about their feelings, you get to hear them chatting about various things while you're driving the Nomad. Funniest bit: with that one guy (no spoilers) and PeeBee in my entourage, apparently he kept falling asleep while I was driving. This irritated PeeBee, so she fakes an orgasm just to see if he's just pretending.

Good times.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 10:29:01 AM by Silver Sorrow »

Offline bobdog

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 01:02:08 PM »
Are the side-missions and quests radiant, or do they tick off once completed? I don't mind doing a bunch of chores, because that normally jumps my XP up enough that when I do settle down to the main quest, I'm a badass. What I HATE though, are when I do a bunch of stupid tasks, get the icons off the map, and then they're quickly replaced by another group of stupid tasks, only to be replaced ad infinitum.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 02:37:43 PM »
As far as I can I can tell, they're not radiant...there are just a lot of them. But they do tick off, thankfully.

For example, say you hit the arglebargle HQ on Voeld. In that base you'll meet several quest-givers...maybe three or four. Okay. Along the way to your overarching objective, you'll pick up maybe half a dozen or more niggly little quests either through exploration, talking to people in a settlement, or whatever. And some of those might require going back to the Tempest. Or the Nexus. Or the Hyperion (the human arkship). And then back. And although I thought I was done with Voeld, I was informed that I needed to go back for a couple more tasks; one for a companion, the other related to the MQ.

The hell of it is that the first settlement on Eos still demands my attention.

I'm not sure what level I'm at (22?), but I would be surprised that I've gotten this far as an Infiltrator if I was playing on anything tougher than the easiest difficulty. (I have no patience for such things.) So with my health at about 600, it's easy to believe in one's own immortality. Problem is, my Ryder usually drops dead due to environmental hazards. :P

Btw, I spoke too soon:

I'm just wondering why there isn't a left-handed transgendered Latina with moderate-to-severe plaque psoriasis, because anything less would be an inforgivable insult to the LGBTWTF community.

I'm not sure if he/she/it is left-handed or is plagued with a skin condition, but the Happy Homo Squad must be squealing in delight anyway.

*sigh*

Okay, I know: that was offensive. But then again, I'm an offensive person. You can't change me! I'm outta control!

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 04:33:24 AM »
So... Mass...quisition?

How about the stupid "gather X number of Y things" tasks? Did they at least get rid of those? I can't tell how I hated those ones in DAI.

The decryption puzzle is amusing, especially because I did the same thing in Tex Murphy's Overseer and that was almost 20 years ago; to be frank I think this puzzle is even way older than that. Big point on innovation guys. At least there are colors... sort of... well... meh. Frankly no puzzle in ME3 that was fine by me... instead of coming with the oldest ones in the book.

Faces: I'm not sure why they could look at cutscenes and think, hey, this is awesome and everyone will love it! No one on the internet will find fault with THIS! And how characters move...I'm not sure if anyone in their animation department knows anything about how people actually move.

More seriously, I wonder how they could look at their facial animations and say "Wow guys, 10 years of facial modelling and programing evolution since the first Mass Effect... right there!" I don't know what they've been smoking but I DON'T want some.

Do you remember how we were joking back in the days about ME1 and no one at Bioware having actually witnessed a female crotch because... theirs were so weird. Why disrupt a perfectly fine tradition? But anyway, after the lay-offs and resignations I'm not sure how many old Bioware people are still there... possibly a third, possibly less, none of the top dogs; they all went to greener pastures.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 05:20:47 PM »
So far, no gathering quests...well...that is to say...maybe. There are a lot of "visit x number of sites for whatever reason" quests, which seem similar. That is: sometimes you'll be tasked with visiting a number of locations in order to complete the quest; sometimes, they'll even give you navpoints. Sometimes not. I'll give four examples of actual quests on Eos:

#1: you have to find six downed probes in order to scan them and set up beacons so they can be recovered. There are six navpoints scattered all over the map.

#2: one of the scientists on the Nexus wants you to scan unknown minerals on various worlds. You'll be notified on the various maps where those are. There are 17 or so in total. This is one of those game-long quests, apparently.

[Irrelevant Side Note: I hate it when CERTAIN PEOPLE (you don't know them) whistle along to the Andy Griffith Show whistling theme. I also hate it when they sing along to other shows' theme songs. There. I said it. Moving on.]

#3: you scan a curious object at a kett encampment. You're told that there are other objects of that nature at other kett camps, so keep a lookout. There are no navpoints and no indication of how many of them are out there, so good luck stumbling upon them for completions' sake.

#4: there are dead people scattered around the initial attempts at settlements. Scan for them. There are no navpoints, and I have no idea how many I should be looking for. I don't know if it's a bugged quest, because I never found all of the bodies. It's still in the "Additional Quests" section of my journal, which is approaching the density of the total output of the Song of Ice and Fire series and has about as much chance of being finished, considering how many of them that they've thrown at me.

And I'm getting a lot of those. They took the "scan the keepers" quest from ME1, mucked with the variables, and duplicated it a dozen times for each major planet in order to stretch out gameplay.

It's not all bad, though. But if I have to do them, I'd prefer that I be given map markers. The "find more _____ at kett bases" directive without any sort of help is tiresome.

I've adopted a "maybe if it's on the way" philosophy to these sidequests. If they're never finished...well, who friggin' cares?

So, I guess: MassAlmostQuisition. :P

As for puzzles, I'm just happy that they didn't bring back that damned spinning-rings-of-blocks puzzle from ME1. Well...not that I've seen yet, anyway. I'm bracing myself, just in case.

Ah, the animations. Still somewhat bad. At least the original devs passed on their non-knowledge of anatomy to the current crop of dickheads. Some things are a tradition. ::)

I like how the whole thing is defended by various sources with excuses of "but animating games is HARD!" Yes...yes it is. But there's no pill for that, you delicate little flower, so you should either learn to do your job WELL, or go back to your barista job at Starbucks.

but I have yet to run into a Dawnstar (think Jade Empire, not Skyrim)

Spoke too soon again.

I miss Jade Empire. Maybe I should take a break from this thing and play that again.

On another note: during chargen, you have the option of uploading your character (face, etc.) to a database. However, the site isn't up yet. GENIUS.

I should point out though, that I believe BioWare's decision to shut down their forums is inspired. Not kidding. Those people were (mostly) morons.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 05:24:56 PM by Silver Sorrow »

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 08:56:12 PM »
I think the cursor bug may be tied into the desktop? I use a custom pointer set -- because Win7 has only black and white pointers -- and I was having a devil of a time with the cursor showing up in-game...and it got worse upon a reboot, so I swtiched a few things around.

I disabled Origin's stupid in-game thing, changed my pointer to default white, and tinkered with my desktop settings a little. It's working so far.

EDIT: to clarify, by "desktop settings" I meant my theme, wallpaper, colors, etc. It seems that it's those things that are causing issues, rather than screen size, refresh rate, and so on.

One thing that I've noticed when playing games with Origin, though: it messes up my screensaver. After I quit Andromeda (for example) and go away for a while, when I come back I find that my screensaver hasn't started. Going into settings and disabling then reenabling the screensaver makes it work again, so obviously Origin has to die.

Speaking of things dying, I hope every dog in my neighborhood dies. RIGHT NOW.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 06:00:53 AM »
I like how the whole thing is defended by various sources with excuses of "but animating games is HARD!"

That's the lamest excuse I've ever heard. A) Doing GAMES is hard, it's not just animations. B) Seriously a lot of games out there get decent facial animations, it's much more common than they seem to believe (and from what I've seen so far in videos showing the problems, even the previous Mass Effect games had better facial animation -- remember the Quarians with their masks in ME2... you still knew what they were thinking just by the animations. There wasn't even a face! In Andromeda there are faces and they are even less expressive than a Quarian with a mask!). So what? Suddenly it became harder to do better animations than 8 years ago?

so obviously Origin has to die.

Obviously. Unfortunately corporate power says that's not going to happen anytime soon even if by all accounts Origin just gets a fraction of the commercial power Steam has and that a lot of gamers hate it for various reasons. Anyway beating Steam is not the point of Origin. The point is to prevent bad mouthing by removing the possibility for users to comment or review games. Then you make your game an Origin exclusive and that allows for a much better control of information flow reducing who talks about your games to a few professional gaming sites and dedicated fan sites. that way if your game is crap, damage control is easier. That's the theory. Didn't really helped them with ME3 ending because the outcry was too much, even spreading to sites that aren't known to do a profession of reviewing games. Seeing how that will help them with Andromeda woes is still a work in progress (so far, EA executives must say "Damn it... if only we had control over Youtube!")

I should point out though, that I believe BioWare's decision to shut down their forums is inspired.

Still it was probably Electronic Arts decision (as Bioware doesn't have a word to say on these matters anymore) and for the same reasons as mentioned above.

DAWNSTAR... Best to mine it for other purposes.

I agree!

Sorry couldn't resist that one...  :lol:

Was it intentional? Because if it was I'd say: very French of them... (and there I'm contributing to increase the false impression we give as a people  ::) No we're not like that... not all of us at least... just many... :purplelaugh: )

and tinkered with my desktop settings a little. It's working so far.

You could also tick the "disable desktop themes and components" checkbox in the Andromeda executable properties which as the name implies shutdown the desktop customization while the game is running. If your customized desktop or pointer is the problem it should solve it without the need to constantly modify your config.

It's still in the "Additional Quests" section of my journal, which is approaching the density of the total output of the Song of Ice and Fire series and has about as much chance of being finished, considering how many of them that they've thrown at me.

Your points there still give me a strong Inquisition "irrelevant tasks" vibe. I 'm not thrilled by this particular vibe to say the least... That reminds me that I never managed to finish the mosaic pieces tasks.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 11:31:46 PM »
Even worse, all of the asari share the same basic face; just the facepaint/tattoos change. Salarians are the same way, male and female. To quote the guys from MST3K: "They just didn't care."

The backlash against Andromeda's woes will -- hopefully -- eventually eclipse ME3's; while ME3 waited until the last fifteen minutes to screw over the player, Andromeda does it right up front. But...personally? Well. It doesn't bother me as much as it does some people. I wish it was better, but it doesn't exactly ruin the game for me.

Damage control: EA tries to buy YouTube. Google chuckles satanically. "Nice try, bungholes."

Still it was probably Electronic Arts decision (as Bioware doesn't have a word to say on these matters anymore) and for the same reasons as mentioned above.

There is that. I recall the forums were quite...contentious. To put it mildly.

DAWNSTAR... Best to mine it for other purposes.

You naughty French persons. ;D

You could also tick the "disable desktop themes and components" checkbox in the Andromeda executable properties which as the name implies shutdown the desktop customization while the game is running. If your customized desktop or pointer is the problem it should solve it without the need to constantly modify your config.

Thanks. I don't know how I forgot about that...but I blame my neighbor's dog. (I don't understand it: all night long, that screechy YARK YARK YARK...do they not hear it? And why has no one bombed his goddamned house yet??) But I've tried a number of things, and it all points to a UI bug. Happily, it isn't something I've done. Sadly, there's nothing I can do about it until those dippety doo-dahs fix it.

Your points there still give me a strong Inquisition "irrelevant tasks" vibe. I 'm not thrilled by this particular vibe to say the least... That reminds me that I never managed to finish the mosaic pieces tasks.

Oh, the mosaic tiles. Never finished that one, either.

Lotta make-work quests, it's true. Lately, I can't seem to make any real sort of story progress due to the sheer number of Things I Gotta Do First. I want to go to a certain planet and follow up on two minor quests. But first...I should drop by this other planet and take care of a couple of *really* minor quests. For a completionist, plot progress is two steps forward, one step back. I'll get there eventually, but it takes a lot longer than it should. According to Origin, I've put 70 hours into the game so far, and I don't think I'm more than 3/4ths done.

The worst thing right now, for me, is how long it takes to survey a solar system. Okay, so you go to a specific place. You target one of the planets and click on it. What follows is a 20- to 30-second animation of the Tempest (actually, it's in first person) flying to the planet. And to go to the next planet...another 30 seconds. Hey, let's leave the system and...another transition! Yay!  And so on. It's mind-numbing. It was cool at first, but I figured I'd get tired of it soon enough.

Also, when you're at a port, like Kadara or the Nexus, you can't just go back to the Tempest and stay in port. You get on board and leave the frickin' planet, prompting another 30 second transition. To go back to the port, you go to the galaxy map and choose to land, and...yes, another 30 seconds wasted. This may seem trivial, but when on Kadara I had to get back to the Tempest several times to check my e-mail for quest updates. And I'd have to leave the planet every single time.

And that's another thing: why do I have to go back to the ship to check my e-mail? Can't I have it forwarded to my omnitool/scanner?

And one more thing: I hate Kadara. I've had to go back and forth to that place so many times...just when I thought I could move on, someone wants me to go back for some damn reason.

While I'm griping, I'd like to point out that the various insta-kill (or close-to-insta-kill) hazards make this game a real pain in the ass. Specifically (in my case), the caustic ferro-fluid (or what-the-hell-ever it is) associated with Remnant locations. The interiors are dark, some clown put little pools of the crap around a console, and...yay. Death. It gets me before I can jump out, and I said things that I will not repeat here, other than my conclusion that whoever did that is a complete dipshit and should be skinned alive.

Side Note: One thing I resent about Bioware's games is the need to talk talk talk talk talk TALK TALK TALK to my crew/companions constantly. Constantly. No, no...what are YOUR feelings on recent events, Cora? Tell me in great detail -- and leave nothing out! -- about how you feel concerning my role as Pathfinder, and your grievances towards my father regarding your diminished role. And like I've asked every other NPC in the entire game (no, I'm not kidding), I'll ask you why you joined the Initiative. Like I care.

But this is all pretty much small stuff; overall, the game is playable and can be a lot of fun. And hey...I even like PeeBee. She and Vetra (the female turian) are my go-to squad. Mostly because I'm playing on the easiest setting. If I was playing on anything harder, I'd take the krogan along.

However, I tend to focus on the small stuff because...I'm a miserable bastard. More small stuff:

- During a couple of missions, priority and loyalty-based, I was informed that I could not manually save the game:

The game cannot be manually saved during a priority mission. Auto-saving occurs automatically at checkpoints.

What is this, 2005? You just have to hope to heaven that the game doesn't crash and corrupt the auto-saves. Idiots.

- Another irritation is the tool-tips that keep popping up, despite the face that I'm 70 hours in. "You have unused skill points. Pres [ESC] to view the Skills screen." Or my favorite, the one that informs me that I have unused research data and I should hie my ass to a research station and craft something. The irony is that I would LOVE to craft the last two upgrades to the Nomad, but I'm always running short on eezo.

Yes, thank you tool-tip, for informing me that I can replenish my ammo at ammo boxes. It's not like I've been playing this game for a couple of weeks now, or anything. And what's that? I should hold [V] to holster my weapon? Astounding. Truly astounding.

I'd prefer them to inform me of something important, such as "you really should have a doctor look at that," or "I'm not kidding...that's not normal. Call the doctor NOW."

- Also: I can have 37 Remnant power cubes and 2,000 dinosaur scales (don't ask) in my inventory, but 9 Remnant Decryption Keys are all they'll let me have. I guess they don't want me breezing through the game by subverting their space sudoku crap with an easy out.

Oh, btw that's right: you can skip the sudoku idiocy with a decryption key...they're not common, but yeah. Problem is, you still need to scan the site to make sure all of the glyphs associated with the specific puzzle are found, THEN you can use the key to skip the puzzle.

- When driving the Nomad, you can scan for resources once mining points have been established on a planet. It's like the mining thingamawhatsit in ME2, but on the ground.

When you find resources, you can launch a mining probe that will hover overhead and you get whatever it digs up. My favorite part of the ordeal is what happens when you open the mining interface in a mine-able area. SAM will pipe up and say, without variation:

"Pathfinder, this area can be mined for resources. You can extract minerals via your mining interface."

Every. Single. Time. IT NEVER GETS OLD! A-HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaa...*sob*

At least my Ryder's cute. That's comforting.

Finally, Bioware was quoted:

working around the clock to gather information and plan out solutions to improve and build on Mass Effect: Andromeda.

Which translates, to me, that they're going to ignore what they can and screw up the rest.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2017, 12:29:06 PM »
Thanks a lot, Bioware.

Dickheads.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2017, 10:21:20 AM »
QTEs. Goddamn you Bioware.

EDIT: That might need an explanation. Then again, it might not.

Okay. Every so often you get a QTE, much like the renegade/paragon prompts. Problem is: they're fast AND they might use either the left or right mouse buttons. This is obviously no problem for the console kiddies with lightning reflexes and lives of boundless opportunities awaiting them, the little bastards, but for someone like me, a useless pre-millennial relic waiting for sweet, sweet death to end its suffering, it makes the ordeal worse than it should be.

"So what, grandpa? What do you want them to do? Make each choice a slide show?"

That would be nice, maggot.

"HA! Don't pull a muscle, you old fart!"

The best part of you ran down your daddy's leg.

When I miss the prompt, it means I have to alt+tab out and kill the thing in task manager because Bioware, as they have always done (because they are idiots), lock you into long-ass conversations without giving an exit (again, because they are idiots) and you have to suffer through such confabs when all you want to do is either reload or just give up and die (or go organize something, such as a sock drawer); then I load a save before the scene. I've had to do this several times. And I keep going with it because obviously I'm a masochist.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 10:44:53 AM by Silver Sorrow »

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2017, 01:29:15 AM »
Finished it a couple of days ago. Been busy, couldn't comment.

99 hours logged at the time of completion; that seems a bit high, although it certainly FELT like it took far, far longer than that. I wonder if the Strike Team missions add to that total, since they run in real time...I don't know.

Before I finished they released the 1.05 patch, which improved the eyes/faces of certain NPCs...they also improved Addison's exit following her initial meeting with Ryder. Now she walks away normally and not like a baboon. They managed to fix a number of things, except the cursor bug. That's still there. While they managed to add the option to skip the long-ass planet transitions, they also broke a couple of things, too. The Strike Team interface, for example, locks up the screen with no way out but to kill the process. So I avoid them now...the Strike Team thing was a dumb idea in the first place, so no great loss. There are more examples, but it's been a long day.

Oh, this one just came to mind: as of reaching tier 8 in research/development (or is it due to reaching Nexus level 20?), the armor and weapon vendors on the Nexus have zero items in stock. The mods vendor still has things for sale, though. I also stopped seeing armor, weapons, and weapon mods in containers, on enemies, etc.

My summary of the entire experience? It's like a bowl of room-temperature vanilla ice cream. And once I figure out what I mean by that, exactly...

So. I was curious as to how they'd handle a NG+, so I went ahead and took the plunge.

Good news? You can re-customize your character and your twin. So if you hated your hair the first time, you can change it something to you hate just as much, if not more.

Still cute, although there are some things I don't like...as usual. You can respec your character in the med bay, but you can't get a chin tuck or a simple haircut? Silly.

And the face animations still suck.

Yikes.

Anyway, I started out at my character's finishing level (67), with my inventory and skills intact. I also had all the research data that I hadn't used before, which will make researching the N7 armor easier...

There's an outfit my Ryder was wearing at the end of the game...you know, when they decide that you shouldn't be able to futz around with the trim color of your hoodie (for example)...and I was hoping that it would be an unlockable outfit for a NG+. Nope.

It's the basic underarmor of the Pathfinder armor I was wearing, but again, it would've made a pretty good casual outfit. Oh, well.

I inadvertantly romanced PeeBee in my first run (asari heads creep me the hell out), so I'm angling for Suvi this time.

Yay.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2017, 02:43:42 PM »
Let me guess 99 hours minus 50 of them spent fetching things? About right?

Anyway I'm that close to boycott Origin so chances are I won't be buying Andromeda anytime soon. The rage came yesterday when I tried to play a game. An Origin exclusive game (like every friggin EA game these day) so Origin starts. Then this delicious piece of software that apparently was programmed by a band of monkeys haphazardly hitting keys trying to rewrite MacBeth,  told me an update was available and asked me if I wanted to download it telling me that if I didn't want to I couldn't go online but I could start offline. As I was on a tight schedule I decided to go offline. At that point Origin asked me for my user/pass and then when I hit the button it informed that an error had occur because I needed to be in online mode to do that. What is the frigging point of having an offline mode if you have to be online to be offline? Why not say "you have to be online to use Origin and refusing an update is out of the question dumb customer". At least that would be more honest.

So there that is the latest added to an astoundingly long list of annoyances with Origin.

So my boycott trigger is getting itchy. And when I say boycott, I mean it. The last time I boycotted a company was Ubisoft when they came with the stupidest DRM scheme in history and they didn't see a cent from me for three years until I was sure that they recovered partial senses. If I have to do it with EA in the hope of seeing Origin die, so be it.