Author Topic: Mass Effect Andromeda  (Read 293 times)

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Re: Mass Effect Andromeda
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2017, 08:53:49 AM »
Let me guess 99 hours minus 50 of them spent fetching things? About right?

Exactly. EXACTLY.  :ss-sad1

All things considered, it's hard to believe that this is the same company that put together ME and ME2...and even more so when it comes to others such as Jade Empire and KOTOR.

It's more or less bland; consciously, I don't remember a great deal of those 99 hours, but subconsciously? When faced with the NG+, my subconscious threw up. Maybe that explains why I've been hitting the alka-seltzer hard the last couple of days (although, those heartburn relief gummies are fantastic :ok:). I mean, I was right at the beginning of the new game, and when I was tasked with visiting each of the 4 muckamucks in charge of the Nexus, I just about locked up. "noooooooooooooooooo..." I groaned. I *hate* talking to Addison. Every conversation with her ends with me adding a muttered "well...fuck you, too." What kind of writing is that? Not sure exactly, but it's awful.

And then...nightmarish images of talking talking talking talking talking to dull, colorless people (most of which are complete jerks), endless fetch quests, and dopey either-or choices that are thrown in there just to make the player want to ram his face into whirling fan blades, reminded me of my vast library of unplayed games that aren't Bioware-related. The Talos Principle, for example.

I'd say...if anyone wants to play it, wait until they've patched the crap out of it and are finished with the (most likely overpriced) DLCs.

What is the frigging point of having an offline mode if you have to be online to be offline?

It reminds me of an old Dilbert strip where he tells the IT guy that his e-mail is down. The IT guy tells him to send him an e-mail about the problem...

Anyway, I wouldn't blame you if you did boycott Origin. I remember how irritating Steam was, but they eventually evened out the rough parts and now it's unobtrusive, which is how a platform should be. But I don't see EA ever getting beyond their "stand aside plebians, for I take large steps!" attitude, so count on a lot more stupidity from them, at least until the Revolution comes, whereupon those bastards will be the first ones against the wall.
But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2017, 09:37:44 PM »
The fact is, I have something like 400+ games on Steam, about the same on GOG (though most of them are from my collection of oldies) and... let's see... about a dozen on Origin, so really I find it hard to give a damn. I have yet to buy a single non-EA game from Origin and yep... I won't.

I'm not saying that Steam is perfect or not slightly evil from time to time but at least Valve is not (yet) a corporate machinery with value on the stock market that only cares about shareholders and consider gamers as money bags. Same for CDPR (GOG). I tend to be more agreeable to companies privately owned.

I don't have the time for that but it would be interesting to see how many brilliant independent developers EA bought to destroyed them in short order these past 30 years, starting with the namesake of their distribution service... Origin Systems "We create worlds" -- anyone remembers? Bioware is just the last in a long line. The only question is, how much time will it last. EA is the easy target but don't even get me started on Activision.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2017, 07:21:25 PM »
I recall that EA took over PopCap games, and they're laying off people now. So...good work, Heartless Evil Entity.

Well...Bioware's released the v1.06 patch for Andromeda. You can read the patch notes here. They fixed a lot of stuff apparently, but did not fix the two things I found most important: the damned cursor bug and the fact that my character is hideous in conversations.

Although most of the time, she's okay.

Also, they added a couple of Nomad paint schemes (haven't seen 'em yet) and a new casual outfit for the Pathfinder...however, it's only accessible via a new game OR if you haven't checked your special delivery box in your quarters on the Tempest yet. Bioware is said to be "looking into" this, possibly to a chorus of slow, sarcastic clapping.

EDIT:

New Nomad paint schemes...aren't available at the vehicle merchant on the Nexus. Guessing they're included in the special delivery box. Which makes them inaccessible to me. Good job, Bioware.

The cursor bug seems worse, so at least I am suffering appropriately of late.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 08:43:12 PM by Silver Sorrow »
But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart.

everything