Author Topic: And if we talked about NOLF?  (Read 534 times)

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
And if we talked about NOLF?
« on: July 05, 2017, 02:21:13 PM »
Come across this real piece of work from the guys at Rock Paper Shotgun.

If you have to have a copy of NOLF or NOLF2 here's your luck... For a limited time I'm sure (just the time needed for some copyright dinosaurs to wake up).

Why am I posting this as The Foxhole is after all opposed to warez or any kind of action that could deprive video game developers (note that I said "developer" not "publishers") from the resources needed to produce more and hopefully better games?

Because the story behind the attempt by Night Dive to revive the NOLF franchise is appalling. The three companies that should own the shared rights to the IP (two of them are not even sure they do but are too tired to go and check apparently -- one even want to get paid to check) don't give a damn to what happen to the franchise but, on the other side don't want to allow the people who do give a damn to do something about it. Essentially:

So where did this all leave things? In a place we called Stupid. Fox seemingly wanted money up front to even look through their filing cabinets (which they’d repay if they found they had no rights), so when Night Dive said no to that generous offer, Fox responded by saying (and I paraphrase) “You can bet your bum we’ll look in our filing cabinets for free if you start selling it.” Activision just shrugged. And Warner? Well, those treats sent Night Dive a “scary letter”, threatening to throw lawyers at them if they pursued re-releasing the game, despite the concurrent negotiations they were involved in. SIGH. Night Dive eventually managed to get the two parts of Warner to actually talk to each other, and sensibly ask themselves if they wanted to work out a licensing deal, which resulted in their saying… No.

Note that Warner despite refusing to negotiate with Night Dive and realizing that they had a stake in this engaged in the renewal of the trademark they kinda let go immediately when Night Dive contacted them... It's like saying: "We don't give a damn about this but who knows sometime down the line in 20 or even 50 years we could want to do something with it so yeah, let's keep it."

I heard some copyright lawyers who tell that this kind of attitude is common enough with IPs. I'm sure it is but that's no reason to be more stupid than a rock about it. It's not like if Warner actually sold the games... They don't. The games are not available to buy anywhere at this time -- they've not been for years. So unless they want to re-release them themselves which I'm pretty sure they don't because they plainly proved they're not interested why not negotiate a deal and let Night Dive do it? "Because we're just a bunch of greedy bastards"  would possibly be the answer but more probably it's "Because we're dumber than a doorknob"; after all, they could negotiate royalties and gain money by doing exactly nothing. But no, apparently that too is too complicated for them. Threatening people with lawyers is so much easier.

So be my guest pay a visit to RPS and do what you want because some very stupid people really deserve what's coming to them.

The NOLF games, the first one in particular, are some of the most hilarious -- and pretty advanced for their time -- pieces of video gaming there is. They deserve to spread the joy, not to rot on a dusty hard drive because of doorknobs that actually only care about a piece of paper, not the actual product. 

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline bobdog

Re: And if we talked about NOLF?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 11:36:09 AM »
The companies probably figure that the games didn't make much the first time around -- especially spread among three or more entities -- so they probably would make significantly less (if anything) from a re-release. Looking at it financially, for them to renew trademarks, hire lawyers to redo paperwork, etc., there may not be a good return on investment. It would be different if the property were, say, Call of Duty -- they know that a re-release would bring in revenue over the expenses put out.

Does it seem like the companies could easily say, "Sure, go ahead and re-release and send us a check every month."? Absolutely. But when you're a major company, you don't want to get mailbox money -- you want all or nothing.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 12:07:35 PM »
Hey bobdog, I see that you're stuck with the photobucket thing for your signature. If you want The Foxhole can host the image.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline bobdog

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 10:41:31 AM »
Sure -- how do I do that?

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 09:08:51 PM »
I managed to survive Photobucket's captcha gauntlet to download some of my albums, so I have your sig banner for when there's a place to upload it. :ok:

Oh, and on topic: oddly enough, I found my NOLF and NOLF2 cds the other day. I wonder if can I make 'em work...
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 10:56:38 AM »
Sure -- how do I do that?

I'll PM you the address to send the file and I'll take it from there.  To be precise though, the hosting here is only for display on The Foxhole. Unlike Photobucket I made it clear when I created the site that image hosted on our server can only be used on a 3rd-party site if said site was authorized by me. It's to preserve our bandwidth because well, the Foxhole was never intended to be an image hosting site.

I found my NOLF and NOLF2 cds the other day. I wonder if can I make 'em work...

I know for a fact that NOLF works on seven (even better than on XP). I didn't replay NOLF2 in a while but I don't see why it would not work because basically it's the same engine. Only thing that may pause problems are widescreen and stuff like that. And yep I still have both games in their CD versions.