December 18, 2017, 06:47:34 AM

Author Topic: SKSE64 bit finally available... in alpha.  (Read 82 times)

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
SKSE64 bit finally available... in alpha.
« on: September 13, 2017, 05:14:16 PM »
Skyrim Script Extender 64 bits finally arrive after nearly a year of wait. Hold on your horses though, this version is in alpha (with all that entails... crashes, bugs, various problems...) and it is intended for modders only so they can start migrating their existing mods to Skyrim SE. No public support will be given at this stage.

For users though, that means that little things like SKY-UI or MCM are not impossibilities anymore. It still may take some time...

Finally some good news by the modding community for the modding community. After the mess created by Bethesda with their "Creation Club" it was sorely needed.

It's always easier to hate than to love and some game companies do really like to make it even easier for us.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
Re: SKSE64 bit finally available... in alpha.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 09:27:22 AM »
Good news...no, excellent news! But I can imagine the groams coming from the modders, because you just know that the demands for an SE version of certain SKSE-dependent mods are going to be pretty bad.

For example: "skse is out why u no port mod yet!??"

The response could very well be: "But SKSE 64 is just alpha so far. It isn't exactly ready just yet!"

To which they would reply, badly misspelled in dumbass-speak, something appallingly entitled. Know what? Screw those nerds. I'm looking forward to...what, exactly, I don't know. I'm not sure that a SKSE 64-powered Skyrim experience will be the greatest thing ever, but I hope it's a little more stable than regular old Skyrim.
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
Re: SKSE64 bit finally available... in alpha.
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 04:16:02 AM »
Well, some teams already made clear that they wouldn't be making any SE version of their mod, SKY-UI for example. However they allow anyone who would be willing to grab the code and go for it. Others will be porting their mod to SE but that may take time because yeah, SKSE64 is  just an alpha.

And true, playing Skyrim again in its 64 bit iteration (I did until I got fed up with the lack of comfort due to so many absent mods so I quit, uninstalled and started my old Skyrim again) is not exactly Earth-shattering news. However if there's one thing one can't hold against both Skyrim SE and Fallout 4 is that they are generally much more stable than older Bethesda games. I've been replaying Fallout NV on and off lately (because you know, so much better quests, characters and... well almost everything than F4) but what a crash-happy little thing. Although I had much less crash problems with old Skyrim...

And let's face it. Skyrim SE is the only TES thing we'll have for a very long time. Unless they intend to bring to us Oblivion and Morrowind SE (which wouldn't be so bad all things considered -- Morrowind with Skyrim SE graphics? I'll take it). 

It's always easier to hate than to love and some game companies do really like to make it even easier for us.