Author Topic: X-mas  (Read 444 times)

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
X-mas
« on: December 24, 2017, 12:26:25 PM »
You know what occurred to me recently? I'm a fan of Star Trek because I think this is the direction Humanity should be taking (I mean general direction... I don't mean we should build an Enterprise with a warp drive and... well, you get my drift) instead of constantly being lost in a series of small contests to see who piss the farthest (contest that will be quickly forgotten anyway; 100 years ago today right at this moment there were French, British, Canadians, Americans, Germans and a lot of other nationalities dying in the Trenches of a war that most youth today barely even know happened and if they do know it's just in passing without giving it much thoughts because you know, if it's not on Facebook or Twitter the very same day... not important). What would happen if all countries in the world suddenly decided (God forbids) to reach in the same direction? Star Trek... or something similar. That would be progress... That doesn't mean all our problems would be magically over (I think we'd exchange some new problems with old ones but hopefully new problems that wouldn't involve half of the world being left on the side of the road); that would be progress.

What is the relation with Christmas? Well, in all of the 13 movies and hundreds of episodes of Star Trek spanned over many seasons of several shows, do you know how many times one sees a Christmas tree? One. One Christmas tree that I can recall (Star Trek Generations -- the movie) and it was not even a real one because it was dreamed by Captain Picard.

Now don't get me wrong... I love Christmas (my own last name which come from and old French dialect means literally "Christmas") or more precisely something that I noticed is buried more and more each years under tons of commercials and specially dedicated sales... the  "Christmas Spirit". This is the particular value that we should teach to children so they can bring it with them as they age to become adults and instill this value in their own children; not the "Hey! that's fun to open gifts beneath a tree" part (it is a fun part, sure, but it seems it becomes more and more just about that). My own parents in their youth were happy to get by with just an orange in their shoes, especially my mother who was 7 when the war began (yeah, back then in France it was shoes, not socks).

I'm not saying that like Star Trek we should do away with Christmas (or any other equivalent in other religions -- even though the very concept of the thing would be to erase differences that can create conflicts) these diverse traditions are essential culturally speaking but a lot of people should seriously rethink what Christmas should be about.

Each year I read about a few stories in the news that seem to rekindle the Christmas Spirit but that's it they are "few" and fewer each year it seems.

Well, Don't worry I'm done with my rambling. So with that being said... Happy Christmas to all and seriously, try to do more than just checking if the latest hi-tech toy is working properly...

:xchristmas:

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
Re: X-mas
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 08:15:54 PM »
I'm a couple of days late, I admit. Latest family drama(s) have left me with little inclination to do more on my PC besides checking my e-mail.  ::)

Anyway! I think Linus summed it all up nicely in the Charlie Brown Christmas special...however, I was astounded that they (ABC, I think...Disney, in short) ran it without a few dozen disclaimers absolving themselves of all responsibility, encouragement to visit blahblahblah.org and experience the holiday as it applies to every other faith on the planet, and so on.

[sarcasm]

Furthermore, I was somewhat mystified by their blatant use of the word "Christ," as we all know that he was a complete myth and there is no god. Everyone knows that, right? Right! Because Bill Nye the Science Guy tells me so! Come on, my fellow doomed ones! Let's all buy each other expensive crap, as that's what [censored]mas is all about!

[/sarcasm]

So...anyway, keep warm people. All is not lost.
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline bobdog

Re: X-mas
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 11:32:08 AM »
... oh Silver ... just when I think you're getting better ....  :hammerhead:

everything