Author Topic: 2017: A Good gaming year for single player overall  (Read 261 times)

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
2017: A Good gaming year for single player overall
« on: December 31, 2017, 03:26:52 PM »
Note: In this post I'm only addressing games that I've played from A to Z and were officially released in 2017.

All in all, 2017 was a good gaming year on the single player side of things. It was utter crap in a number of other areas across the world and for me personally but it was significantly better than most years in gaming (I'm talking of course single player as on the multiplayer side of things the year was rather rough with a real bumpy end of the road full of bouncing and infamous loot boxes).

Anyway, I can't even remember the last time I bought that many games in their release year (which doesn't mean however I bought them full price as if I'm not a proponent of piracy, I'm not a proponent of paying a game full price either unless I have entire confidence in the company developing the game to not come with an overpriced piece of crap). I can tell you that the last game I pre-ordered and paid almost full price (minus the pre-order rebate) was The Witcher 3.

But this year was good enough we had (in no significant order):

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (FPS)
Prey (FPP RPG)
ELEX (TPP RPG)
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (Experimental)
Dishonored: Death Of The Outsider (FPP Semi-RPG)
Torment: Tides of Numenera (Isometric old-school RPG)

And maybe Divinity: Original Sin 2. I say "maybe" because for numerous reasons I'm really conflicted about this one -- which prevents me from jumping into the "best RPG of the year" bandwagon. so I'll wait to finish it. Before finalizing my thoughts.

Of course this year has also seen some of the most catastrophic miscarriages. They were few but some of them deeply consequential. Of course the first and most epic coming to mind being...

Mass Effect: Andromeda, with the ensuing drama, the abandon of the game support before any DLC had the time to spring to life and the shutdown by Electronic Arts of Bioware Montreal. I have yet to publish my review of the game but I'll delay it until next year because I prefer to end the year on a series of good notes. On the last 5 games I reviewed there were 4 good and 1 excellent and I prefer to leave it that way.

Styx: Shards Of Darkness was another disappointment to me with a game that was clearly a repetition of the previous one without having learned anything from previous errors and even adding some new logical flaws both in gameplay and story. I expected Cyanide to go beyond themselves while indeed they remained at the same level: good idea, bad execution.

All in all though, 2017 was a rather good year for SP gaming.

And now I'm off for the New Year celebrations which in my time zone happen in... well about an hour and a half...

Good time and evening to you all!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 02:31:27 PM by Starfox »

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline SlyFoxx

Re: 2017: A Good gaming year for single player overall
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 08:42:49 PM »
I can't say I give a fig about new games...you all know I'm just a Thief at heart....but I like these digs and the folks who hang here.  Happy New Year taffers!

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
Re: 2017: A Good gaming year for single player overall
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 09:09:57 PM »
Happy New year to you too Sly...

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

everything