Author Topic: Random Babbling: 2018  (Read 800 times)

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Random Babbling: 2018
« on: January 11, 2018, 07:40:43 AM »
Meet the new year, same as the old year.

I guess it's their way to say "Sorry, we really screwed up" (in fact it's more like trying to save what can be saved)... Well, guys, we don't want apologies anyway; we just want you to stop screwing up. Is that so much to ask?

I wonder if they went ahead and discounted it as a blind, because they know they'll eventually make up the difference by reintroducing microtransactions when no one's looking and perhaps even increasing the cost...

...sorry, that's just too evil for me this early in the morning.  :ss-weird1

On another note, I'd like to propose the "So What Law." This is named for the required response from the Justice system when informed by an individual or individuals accusing someone of "inappropriate behaviour" 10 or more years after the fact. For example:

Victim: He [groped me/took my picture while I was asleep, pretending he was grabbing my boobs/etc.]!

Society: Okay. When did this happen?

Victim: Um...twenty years ago.

Society: Twenty...years...ago.

Victim: Yes.

Society: So what?

Under the So What Law, victims will be required to report any allegations of assault within a week of the unimaginable trauma of, for example, being felt up by a creepy rich guy. If you're waiting 20 years for a media frenzy in order to boost your bank account, your media profile, or just in hopes of reviving a career that's in the crapper, Society in general will be moved to sneer "so what?"

An addendum (in the works) will also require everyone to laugh dismissively.
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline bobdog

Re: Random Babbling: 2018
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 11:07:55 AM »
There is merit to the length of time between action and public accusation, but I also feel that many women (mostly) have not felt safe to say what happened to them in the past, and are more able to speak the truth after the floodgates just recently opened. For some people, these actions may have taken place 20 years ago, but the loss of pride/respect/trust is still felt today. Don't be dismissive about what the accusers are saying, as they may still be dealing with those feelings on a daily basis.

And as a father of a college-age woman, I want her to know that if anything does happen to her, she will be taken seriously and not dismissed. That's what has been missing for the past 30 years, and why it is all leaking out now.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 10:11:51 PM »
Under my law, if she reports the incident within a week, she won't be ignored. ;D

But really what's bothering me...okay. This needs to be said. I don't care what the Canadians or the Olympics officials say. Curling isn't a sport.

NOT. A. SPORT.

Also, hip-hop and rap are not music. Sorry, LL Cool J (for example)...your "career" is a lie.
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 05:10:44 PM »
Curling isn't a sport.

What are you talking about man? I love curling, really do... Gently brushing the ice with a broom; what's not to like?  It's relaxing :lol: Plus those guys have four pairs of stones to play with...

OK, I may need to change my medication...

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 12:44:34 AM »
Gently brushing the ice around the idiot [me] trying to make snow angels...they say a snow year's a good year...

I admit, with the right medication I could consider anything a sport.  :ss-sparkly  And just a single glance at the South Korean women's curling team made me seriously reconsider my opinion.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 12:52:11 AM by Silver Sorrow »

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 10:51:09 PM »
Saw this on reddit:

They said I couldn't romance Tali as FemShep....

....but I got her to fall for me on Rannoch.

Rim shot.

Uh...btw, can anoyone else see my embedded pics? Take this thread, for example. Has photobucket restored linking? Will Esteban figure out that Maria is just using him to get to his twin brother Guillermo? All these questions will be answered...eventually...on the next episode of As The Stomach Churns.

Anyway, if linking is back, then the next two comments will have visual context. If not, then to hell with it.

#1:
There's a problem with the textures for this hairstyle (as well as the others from the source used), and the modder who packaged it has apparently disappeared up his or her own ass, so there probably will never be a fix. Solution? Darker hair. Or use another hairstyle. :P

#2:
I've spent years perfecting Shepard. Check that: attempting to perfect Shepard. Because I see at least two things I want to change here.

But generally speaking, this is as good as I can get it. Because Bioware's chargen options ALWAYS SUCK ASS.

See whaty you made me do, Bioware? You made me yell. Jerks.

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 09:48:50 AM »
Embedded pics are visible.  Which annoys me, because I stopped using Photobucket partly over that issue and now look the fool.
Roads?  Where we're going we don't need roads.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 11:35:09 PM »
Don't worry about it...it just means that you care. ;D

On an unrelated (probably) side note, a new motto: "just about anything is forgiveable if no one dies in the process."

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2018, 08:01:54 AM »
Yep, visible to me too. I guess they were less than enthused with the loss of users which certainly followed their idea to have people pay.

Hey... right from Photobucket:

Photobucket has a new management team that wants to do the right thing. We are committed to earning back your trust and offering comprehensive and flexible image storage and hosting options for our customers. We’ve taken your feedback and made some changes to our pricing model that allows us to offer competitively priced plans that fit the needs of all of our customers.

For a limited time, our current customers’ hosted images have been restored and Photobucket is introducing a new pricing plan that is built around everyone’s needs. [

The full link: https://support.photobucket.com/hc/en-us/articles/360004314254

I guess the operative words there are "limited time". They still intend to make some people pay, it just won't be $400 a year and it just won't be one price for everyone.

Edit: Their first paid plan (which include the third party linking) is at $27.00 a year for 2GB storage. Next one is $70.00 a year for 20GB. Also in the fine print, they reserve the right to enforce a bandwidth limit in case of overuse (problem is that they don't exactly define what amount of bandwidth represents "overuse"). The free plan is 2GB with no third-party hosting - so really just a cloud storage.

They made the situation appear more palatable but that doesn't really solves the base problem, does it?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 08:21:01 AM by Starfox »

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 03:11:47 PM »
Well, two unrelated but funny things happened this week (which is rather morose otherwise with my mother Hospitalized... again.

A) I rented a car with a license plate beginning with "EA" and ending with "RL" (Europeans license plates are of AA 111 AA format. So I was quite intrigued. Did the RL stand for Rotten Loosers, Real Loonies... there's quite a few possibilities there and all seemingly correct  :realconfused:

B) I checked my pocket today and found among my coins a genuine Lincoln penny... minted in 2015 (so with the shield on it) and rather quite new (not used a lot I mean) from the look of it. I have no idea how it got in my pocket. I checked though and it appears that the penny has exactly the same dimensions as our European 2 cents coin. So possibly a genuine mistake an American fellow made when paying for something in France and it ended up with me after some tibulations... Hey, I'll keep it as a lucky coin... I have no other use for it anyway  :lol:

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 09:36:17 PM »
*clawing my way out from under this huge distracting boulder called "Real Life" which I hate so very much*

Hospitalized mothers. I know, yes indeed. I'm heartily sick of anything involving MRIs, labwork, paperwork, and telling some dipstick that no, I don't feel like giving the hospital a thousand dollars right here and now for a CT scan. Talk to her insurance company, you rotten bloodsucking fuckhead.

Sorry.

Anyway! "Rutting Lunatics" is the best I can come up with in my current state, although I feel "Really Lucifer" might work...

Sad thing is, no one here has any real use for the penny either. :lol:  The only thing more useless is the Canadian penny...although I think there are a few South American/Southeast Asian countries where a single penny can buy you an entire village.

...but what would I do with an entire South American village? Kill all the locals and sell them for dog food? Oh, wait...even better! A little something I call: Soylent Verde! Just imagine Charleton Heston screaming "SOYLENT VERDE ES LA GENTE!" and you get the general idea.

I may need more sleep. And a better translator, because I don't think that's a reliable translation. But...priorities. Nap first, destroy language later.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2018, 05:49:47 PM »
Well I have some of my own news. Last week my main computer fried which I suspect is due to an overheated PSU due to the absolutely insane temperatures we had lately. But I couldn't check it because of the other important event which is that the day after my mother successfully managed to break her femur so she had to have surgery to fix that and now she is recovering in  a clinic with the absolute interdiction to get out of bed for 3 weeks (the time that the bone and the bit they put glue together well). And then three more weeks of reeducation.

Like if that wasn't enough between the hospital and the clinic they managed to loose her insurance papers and card (that happened to me to see them loose one or the other but both at the same time? That's a new record). So now I have to go through a lot of admin paperwork just to fix the stupidity of others (I spend my Thursday afternoon on the phone with different services of the hospital my mother spent time in, the central administration of the hospital and then a bit more with the clinic and amusingly the clinic threw the ball back to the hospital and none of the hospital staff I spoke with seemed to know anything about those papers). More disturbingly they didn't even knew what ambulance company transferred my mother from their hospital to the clinic.

You'd think that would have stopped there, the plate being full (in normal times one big problem a week is my limit) but no I also discovered that the care services company that my mother hired deducted from her bank account the equivalent of $500 for last month -- so almost half her retirement pension while she benefits from a state coverage due to her age and condition -- while they should have taken only about $80. Contacted they quickly acknowledged that it was clerical error but "Please could you be patient while we clean up our mess?" Yeah sure, it's not like if there were other bills to pay after all.

So there, I'm between people that ask me to "clean their mess" and people who ask me to "wait before they can clean theirs" and all the while worrying about my mother (which is a notion that apparently all those morons can't seem to grasp -- they do when that happens to THEM but not when that happens to others).

Finally the only good aspect of the past seven days was my computer meltdown because anyway I was engaged in the process to buy a new rig (mine was getting on the older side of things) but I would have wished to wait for the graphic card prices to really normalize which apparently won't happen before September/October after the price mess of this year. So I was forced to buy a card that is a bit above of the one I had but not by a huge amount. And I'll have to wait better times to replace it. But at least it's not like I hadn't planned to buy something anyway. The meltdown just accelerated the process (leaving me right in the middle of my playthrough of the game Vampyr). All the other things that happened were out of the blue and frankly unnerving.

Funny thing though... In general I'm pressed for time because my mother lives with me as she can't take care of herself alone anymore. And now that she's in the clinic for a good 6 weeks I hear people telling me "that's good, you have more time to yourself, you can do what you like". What they don't seem to get is that is taking care of an aging person is a full time occupation, being worried is too. It's not like if my mother was on vacation. I can't just put her off my mind and "live my life". Plus call me an idiot if you want but I like to care for my mother. She can be upsetting and stubborn at times but hey, I learned to live with that. Yeah, why can't I be like my older two brothers, still going on vacation because well they "live their lives" and couldn't care less. Hell of a family I got.

Anyway...  Soylent Green... love that movie. Worse part? Give it 50 more years and humanity could very well end like that.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2018, 01:18:59 PM »
My favorite part of my own Odyssey Of Despair was being told that I just have to "push through" all the tiredness, etc. I've been "pushing through" chronic exhaustion for years now...I'm tired of pushing, goddamnit. These people. :madatwall:

So, yeah...you know it. There are times that I find myself screaming "ENOUGH ALREADY!" at the sky, but I don't think it makes any real difference. Although I do make it a point to be outside as I rant at the heavens because I believe it increases the chances that I will be struck by lightning or (better yet) crushed by a meteor.

On a side note, I find it just absolutely hilarious to the point of stockpiling weapons that when the problem is my fault, they demand payment immediately under threat of litigation, death, etc....but when it's their fault, I have to wait seven business days for a refund.

Currently, my mother's having bladder issues, possibly due to a "mass" they found on her bladder during her last CT scan. ("Mass" means...what, exactly? "Mass"ive problems, perhaps?) She has one doctor's who's not going to do anything until she sees a urologist and a gastrointerologist (or whatever), go through a colonoscopy and all these other tests, and this other doctor -- her oncologist -- who doesn't seem all that concerned, or even interested. To be honest, he's a neuro-oncologist, so anything below the neck isn't his problem. The third doctor, her primary care doc, is apparently looking over the tests and stuff right now. Well...not right this minute...I mean, she's probably eating lunch, ferchrissakes.  ::)

Funniest of all: the earliest the urologist could see her was in four weeks. You know, the only thing that keeps our society from unravelling completely is that some of us show enough restraint to keep from strangling receptionists right there in the waiting room.

It's a delerious kind of anxious limbo, really. In the meantime I've been keeping busy by cleaning out my dad's study so that I can move downstairs, so she won't feel so lonely. I think it would've been easier to divert a river than clean out that room...it's astounding how much stuff that guy could cram into such a small room.  :ss-weird1

A full time occupation, indeed. I love the advice to "go out and live!"...so much so that I want to kill them. Kill them stone dead, right then and there. There's no time for a personal life. There's maintenance and worry. That's it.  :lol:

My dad's people have been excellent; my mother's...not so much. They tend to disappear whenever things happen...but that means that I don't have to deal with their various stupidities in times of trouble, so I call it a win.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2018, 06:10:09 PM »
So what's new... I successfully managed to screw up my knee a week ago. Roughly my tibia went one way and my femur another and not the way they are supposed to go. That happening while my mother is at the clinic recovering from her broken femur, I suppose I should call that a win too because there's no way I could take care of her in my current state. Sad thing is I can't even go see her at the clinic and since I'm her only son to actually care enough to visit her...

Blown up computer, mom's broken femur, knee screwed up... all checked... great Summer.

And my knee incident makes me realize that I'm definitely not 20 years old any longer. I had a similar incident when I was 22 and I got over it pretty fast. This time it doesn't seem to want to go away that easy.

Offline bobdog

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2018, 10:00:47 AM »
Oy! Could you pack any more positive news in here? Sorry to hear that, mate!!