Author Topic: VTMB: Idly Noting A Few Quirks With UOP v9.9  (Read 220 times)

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
VTMB: Idly Noting A Few Quirks With UOP v9.9
« on: February 18, 2018, 09:31:52 PM »
That's the Unofficial Patch, that is. A few years...give or take a decade...since VTMB came out, and I still mess with it. Most recently with the Unofficial Patch, which is currently up to v9.9. While I shudder at the thought of playing without the thing (most importantly, the Plus Patch), there are still a couple of weird/annoying things that occur. In no particular order of importance/severity:

- The path through the abandoned hospital is supposed to be cleared of blockage and debris once you talk to Pisha. Unfortunately, this hasn't happened and I still have to clamber over crap. So I just noclip through it.

- It's easy to get insta-killed in the junkyard...one car body takes a bad bounce and hits me and: ashes. God mode. I never liked the junkyard sequence.

- There's a locked door in the DMP office of the internet cafe in Hollywood (through the windows you'll see a guy get killed by one of those stupid head-on-arms things that I hate so bloody much); from what I recall, that door would automatically unlock once you got the tape on the table (or when you entered the room, either way). Not anymore, apparently. Gotta go back through the vent and retrace my steps. No big deal.

- The Plus Patch nerfs Bloodbuff, taking it down to a +2 boost instead of the default +5. Apparently this is a "balance" attempt, but I don't know. The game is so biased against the player's success in so many respects that becoming overpowered is a dandy little dream.

I find that I'm spending most of my time with this game altering various things so as to make it less irritating. Hooray for the vdata folder. Make all the bad guys have 25 max health? Yes, thank you! :P
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
Re: VTMB: Idly Noting A Few Quirks With UOP v9.9
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 08:45:40 PM »
...and now the "Hot Stripper Assassin Action!" quest is broken, for some reason. Probably my fault. Thinking about it, yes...it's usually my fault. Okay. This is the quest -- you may recall -- where VV tells you to go kill the hunter Chastity in the Sin Bin. The solution is simple enough: lockdown the peep show windows via computer (guy #1 leaves), rob or smash the ATM (guy #2 leaves), and so on. However, guy #2 refuses to budge. I've tried a few things, but nothing works.

So at this point, I can kill the guy and lose a Humanity point along with the XP reward for a no-kill-the-kyne solution, or I can walk away and come back later, hoping that the problem will have miraculously sorted itself out. OR...I can go back to an earlier save and lose a couple hours' play. Hmmm.

[I know there are probably a few other options. There always are.]

The hour groweth late, but...where the hell do I have to be?

But back to self-flagellation: I think I may have messed it up myself. I got the quest from VV, then I got the talk-to-the-smut-peddlers objective. I should have done VV's quest first, then talked to Flynn. But as it happened, I talked to Flynn first and took care of the DMP thing, THEN I went back to kill Chastity. And now pervert #2 won't check the ATM. This game is so touchy.

An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 11:10:47 PM »
Ah. Problem...sort of solved. Apparently (judging from the evidence because I can't seem to remember SHIT anymore), I had picked up the talk-to-smut-peddlers objective from Isaac and then went to Vesuvius and got the Chastity quest; two birds, one katana, I guess. It's how I roll. So I just found the save I made before that: I got the DMP quest, talked to Flynn, went to DMP office, got tape, returned to Isaac, saw tape, got the King's Way objective. Then I went to VV and got the Chastity quest. No problems with finishing that.

So now that this crisis has passed and all is right with the world, I bid thee adieu.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 09:15:55 PM »
Boredom: the mother of questionable activities that could be interpreted as "possibly insane" by people who are not bored.

My GOG version of VTMB is the one dealing with the Unofficial Patch.

My Steam version has The Final Nights mod installed.

My skin is dry, the vent overhead is blasting away, and when they find my mummified corpse slumped over my keyboard, I hope I leave behind a scent reminiscent of cinnamon.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 03:05:32 AM »
It's been a long time since I played VTMB. I still have it installed on my drive (the GOG version I think). I don't even know what version of UOP it is.

Ah well... Good luck with the mummification process... I hear it's painful  :lol:

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 10:01:16 PM »
What irritated me about the GOG version is that, in order to make sure that the thing runs (widescreen, etc.), they install a fairly recent version of the UOP...and the Final Nights mod has v6.5 (or so) installed, and so they require you to have an unpatched copy...

[side note: I forgot that they also provide a "legacy" version of the game, but it's not like they advertise it or anything. ::)]

...which makes me wonder if that's why I've had some problems with it, since the Steam version applies the official patch. And it might be bugging out due to that. Hmmm. If I have any more problems, I might just try it with an unpatched install of the retail (hard) copy. What the hell. I got nowhere to be during the day.

As for mummification, it's not the dessication that bothers me so much as the realization that I just might have to yank my own brains out with a hook, to borrow a graphic description from Boris Karloff..

everything