Author Topic: Bethesda at E3 2018... what gives?  (Read 56 times)

Online Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
Bethesda at E3 2018... what gives?
« on: June 11, 2018, 04:53:56 PM »
Well, I just watched (delayed) the whole Bethesda E3 Conference and what did we learned? Basically that Bethesda is big on online and phones. In fact they had a conference that started OK with the presentation of several Bethesda published games that will be coming out next year... Among these, Rage 2 Which if it's better than the first Rage will be OK I guess, then following up with DooM Eternal which bring back the same character players played in DooM (2016) and will be available for mobiles and VR, following with an announcement of a Prey DLC Mooncrash that was actually released yesterday at the same time they were making the announcement. As the trailer was pretty much non-descript as far as gameplay features go I can't say much about it. What the heck, I enjoy Prey, I made a review for it so I can as well play the DLC an review it. They also announced that during Summer they'll be releasing a multiplayer component for Prey taking the totally uninspired "One player confronted to 4 other disguised as mimics" as the absolute best thing. What is it with Bethesda and multiplayer these days?

They also talked about the next installment in the Wolfenstein franchise which is called Wolfenstein: Young blood.  And there they had a huge surprise for the fans... BJ Blazckowitz is done, out... he won't be returning, at least as a playable character. I let you imagine that for a few seconds... A Wolfenstein game without BJ. that kind of sounds wrong yeah? Instead you'll be able to incarnate one of BJ's twin daughters he had with Anya (the new game taking place about 20 years after the events of Wolfenstein: The new Colossus in the 1980s). Why twins... because here's another surprise, the game will be co-op, although apparently you'll be able to play it solo.

After that things kind of derailed a bit. There was announcements for Elder Scrolls Online and the release of new content for it (good for them, too bad my interest for MMO in general is subzero). After that there was the big piece with Fallout 76 that I'm sure you heard about the past weeks, at least the hype. Big game, four times the size of Fallout 4 apparently located in West Virginia and a prequel to all other Fallout games (I think the pipboy in there is older than the one from the original Fallout).

Except that... we learned basically nothing about the story or the quests and the story of Fallout 4 without being totally abysmal was one of the weakest points of the game and don't even get me started on the quest radiant system, so Bethesda has a lot to prove there. Also, Todd Howard ran around the issue a lot before finally revealing that yes "Fallout 76 is completely online". Then he continued with "But you can play it solo if you want"...while screaming in his head, yeah but it's meant for multiplayer.

Next came Blades a new Elder Scrolls game that is not TES VI. From what I gathered it will also be online but Howard really put forward another feature, that the game is really playable on a phone with console graphics. In fact he spent about five minutes describing the advantages of playing Blades on a phone.

So of course that leaves two matters: Starfield the new hyper hyped IP that will take place in space and The Elder Scrolls VI.

Well that's when the conference ended in a fizzled firework. Starfield was less than a minute of a generic trailer showing about nothing except for the name and a blowing space station. As for The Elder Scrolls VI all we get is about 15 seconds of a landscape with the words The Elder Scroll VI placarded on it. We could be 10 years from the actual release, they could have done the same thing (that applies for Starfield too). The only insurance Todd Howard really gave... kind of... is that The Elder Scroll VI will be the next thing after Starfield... problem is we don't even know when Starfield will be released (it certainly was not in the trailer meaning that it's probably not this year or in 2019).

And there it is in a nut shell.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
Re: Bethesda at E3 2018... what gives?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 01:52:20 PM »
yeah but it's meant for multiplayer.

What I was thinking. "We put all these multiplayer aspects into the game, and we worked really hard on them and all that stuff, but you can play it solo if you want. I mean, that's pretty much 100% of what we're focused on, but if you want to be some kind of loser nerd SOLO player, then by all means..."

So not enthused about F76.

As for TESVI, I was...okay, yes: underwhelmed. That could've been High Rock. Or Hammefell. Hell's bells, it could've even been Skyrim with an ENB.

Speaking of Skyrim, I guess they ran out of platforms to sell it on...the FitBit deal probably fell through...although I admit I was a little disappointed that they aren't going to port it to my toaster. So I guess they have to move on to the next installment. But how do they dumb everything down more than they did with Skyrim? Never fear, they'll find a way.

Online, online, online. Everything's mp and online these days...doesn't anyone just get TIRED of dealing with others? Gotta talk to that person when I wake up, gotta talk to those people on my way to wherever I go during the day, gotta talk to people while I'm there, gotta talk to people on facebook even though I keep turning chat off, gotta talk to people on the way home, gotta talk to people to get food, gotta talk to people in my game, gotta talk to...people.

Starfield, though? Dunno. If it's Morrowind In Space, I might be interested.
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Online Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
Re: Bethesda at E3 2018... what gives?
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 05:59:50 PM »
Starfield, though? Dunno. If it's Morrowind In Space, I might be interested.

Well if that make you feel better about it, Toddy officially confirmed that Starfield will be 100% single player. So there's that. Still we basically don't know anything about the game which with Bethesda doesn't mean a lot as they always reveal things 3 months before launch.

F76... I'll take a pass, period. I have no interest in the concept described -- even if the words were no said out loud, it's just a MMO like The Elder Scrolls Online; I guess we should have seen that coming -- and I certainly won't fork 60 bucks for something I already know I won't enjoy (I'm particularly amused by the idea of nuclear missiles: you spend 30 hours of your free time building a nice base and then a twelve year old weirdo blow it up in seconds because he got his hands somehow on one of the missiles present in the world -- seriously, what are they thinking? It's their idea of a good time?). There are several petitions running by fans who want Bethesda to turn it into a proper single player game but really... good luck with that. There's only one way to make Bethesda understand that we don't want that kind of crap in the future -- although I imagine some do -- DON'T BUY THE GAME. Companies always act on the loss of money... never on people just talking about it. I can guarantee you that if they didn't recoup their expenses with F76, there wouldn't be a second try.

In fact there's this first try because that did work with TES Online so... hey, why not?

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein