Author Topic: Meanwhile... in The Outer Worlds  (Read 49 times)

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
Meanwhile... in The Outer Worlds
« on: December 07, 2018, 10:17:48 AM »
Well, while Bethesda is drowning under an ocean of bad decisions Obsidian Entertainment reveals their next game: The Outer Worlds that might well be stealing the light away from the uncertain (and now commercially compromised) Starfield.

From the first info that was given by Obsidian, The Outer Worlds is a first person RPG with old schools mechanics and a new skin. The main protagonist is not voiced which will please a lot of fans who didn't like Fallout 4 voiced protagonist because a non voiced protagonist allows players to be the character they want to be and not a typical character that can't really be different from playthrough to playthrough. There is a return of the skills and a conversation tree similar to Fallout: New Vegas but at the same time the combat appears to be somewhat similar to Fallout 4, VATS equivalent included, which is a good thing as far as I'm concerned because combat is one of the few areas of FO4 I don't have any problem with.

There's no romance and Obsidian explained why they chose to not retain this option and I can't say that I disagree with them. They want the player to completely role-play the game and not be constrained by the necessity to "please" the character you'd like to sleep with... so no romance even though that may not be to the taste of a part of the gamers. There are companions though.

More to follow I guess... And I certainly will keep an eye on this one.

Ooh... I forgot the bit about the story... So apparently humanity launched a few colony ships to outer space but the one your character was on, the second one, got delayed by an unknown event for seventy years. Normally cryogenic pods can't keep people alive for more than a decade but a genius on your ship find a way to preserve them and revive you. He will ask for your help in finding the resources to revive the other colonists on your ship but as this is an old school RPG you may feel free to betray him, to work for the almighty corporations, to become kind of a freedom fighter or a bloody mercenary or to blow everyone up... your choice.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 10:44:37 AM by Starfox »

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
Re: Meanwhile... in The Outer Worlds
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 05:42:53 PM »
I like that Obisidian saw fit to point out in the trailer that they were the original creators of Fallout and developers of Fallout: New Vegas.   However The Outer Worlds turns out, it makes for an amusing "take that" to Bethesda and all that's been happening with them of late.  :funup:
Roads?  Where we're going we don't need roads.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Re: Meanwhile... in The Outer Worlds
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 01:26:40 AM »
That, and it makes me think of Fallout New Space Vegas, which I am perfectly okay with.  :ok:

Just from the look on that woman's face after you find out you didn't have to shoot either one...I'm in.
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

everything