Author Topic: Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine – September 2011 [Score: 7]  (Read 31 times)

Offline bobdog

• Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine – September 2011 [Score: 7]
« on: January 14, 2019, 10:29:18 AM »
I’ve never really been into the Warhammer 40k concept, which started as a tabletop game series but has successfully added a diversity of desktop titles. I mean, the whole “what if Rome successfully made it to the 41st century” concept is definitely unique, especially when paired with magic and/or science fiction. Unfortunately (for me), most Warhammer 40k computer games concentrate on strategy, which are not one of my favorite game genres. However, when I got a free key to Space Marine, I figured I at least should give it a shot.

Space Marine is a third-person shooter/hack-n-slash in which you and your computer-controlled team must take back a powerful weapons facility. The prologue serves as a training mission, which was appreciated, but after that, you’re on the ground and need to find your team.

Levels are large and spacious and really show off a Roman type of sensibility, with soaring architecture and bigger-than-life (or necessity) buildings and structures. However, the level design essentially provides indoor or outdoor corridors to traverse, so you realistically only have one path forward, and you don’t get to explore all the world that has been built. Graphically, the game still looks good after being 7 years old, but the color scheme is fairly bland, with similar colors saturating each location.

The gameplay reminded me somewhat of Gears of War, but maybe that was just because it’s third-person and you’re controlling a huge armored fighter. I felt like movement was a little “goosey” and had a slight hesitation when I would change directions. This sometimes impacted my game as I’d get caught in a scrum of Orks and would be unable to extract myself or fight my way out.

One thing to note is that the designers want you to get your hands dirty. Yes, you do have some rifles and a pistol to fight off your foes, but when your health gets down, the only way to bring it back up is to attack someone and conduct a pretty nasty finishing move, usually with either a knife or a saw-blade. There are no health packs and squatting behind a barrier will only give your attackers more time to gang up on you.

Unfortunately, Space marine just wasn’t my cup of tea, and I got bored after playing a couple of hours, never finishing the game. But for what I played, I’ll give it an average score. 7 out of 10

everything