Author Topic: Silver's Project: Play My Games  (Read 103 times)

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Silver's Project: Play My Games
« on: March 17, 2019, 04:06:10 AM »
I'm not really sure where to put this thread, although I can imagine most of you have suggestions for a very specific location; try to restrain yourselves, we're trying to have a civilization here.

Anyway, I thought I'd try to play through some of the games in my Steam/GOG/Origin libraries and give a thumbnail sketch of each attempt...and when I say "attempt," I mean that I'll make the effort to play the games, but I'll most likely get bored and/or frustrated with most of them and give up at some point. I foresee a lot of things like "well, the main menu was confounding, so I gave up."

So that's the proposal. And, like every other project I've begun in my life, I'll probably never finish it. But...hey, it's after 4am, I might as well do something besides futz around with Fallout 4.

I'm not doing this alphabetically. That's not gonna happen. Order is by whim. First up...
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
Borderlands
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 04:58:13 AM »
...yup, Borderlands.

I'm under the impression that I end up with dramatically different versions of games than other people have. How to explain why a vast majority of players of a certain game look upon it with unabashed, unconditional love, while I play for ten minutes and want to take my own life? Far Cry and Crysis were like that for me (stealth-snipe an enemy in the back of the head and it just pisses him off?); I couldn't understand how people loved them so much. I couldn't find much that was fun in either game, and that very well may be on me. (More on that later.)

Borderlands, sadly, is yet another one of those. At least for me. You may like it...perhaps you even love it. That falls under the universal right of Free Will. Enjoy it while you can.

I wanted to like it, I really did. I restarted the thing several times since I bought it a few years ago, and I never could get into it. I tried again recently and got further along than ever before...but I still cannot find it within myself to go any further. That's it. I give up.

Why? Because after dying repeatedly at the hands of respawning monsters and bandits, I found myself muttering "...this is stupid, this is stupid, this is stupid..." over and over until my mutter swelled to a shout: "THIS IS UNBELIEVABLY STUPID!"

But I don't think it's anyone's fault but mine; I guess I didn't get the memo.

Obviously, this game is designed for co-op play. Sure, you can play solo, but you'll have to do a lot of grinding and such just to get your character to a good enough level to handle the tasks presented to you. And that's where it becomes my problem: I absolutely hate multiplayer. It's my own personal psychosis, and my fault alone. I've built my own cage and forged my own bonds.

The game throws you quite a few bones to help you: the frequent respawning of enemies and items is necessary to get your character leveled up so you can progress. However, I'm just not in that kind of mood at the moment. Maybe in the future I'll come back to it, but for now I don't want to deal with it.

I'll list a few of the side issues that made it so much worse:

- Enemies are bullet sponges. Advocates for the game insist: "You gotta hit 'em with criticals! You--" Shut up.
- Shields are useless. A couple of shots and it's wave bye-bye, cupcake. I was one-shotted quite often. I hate that.
- Weapons take FOREVER to reload.
- It's hard to play a long-range character when your targets hop around like crackheads on pogo sticks (SEE: Far Cry), or they Zerg-rush you in waves. That blur in your scope? Something murderous that is way too close. Run backwards while cursing. That always helps.
- I hate the cell-shaded art style. It was making me nauseous.
- And so on.

It's currently 5am and I haven't slept all day and I'm starting to see things out of the corner of my eye and I think I've complained enough about this game. In short:

It's not for disturbed loners. You may like it.
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
DooM [2016]
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 08:13:15 PM »
DooM [2016]

Comparisons to the original games abound, but this one seems to do okay. I mean, sure: it has all these buzz-type features like challenges (which kill immersion somewhat) and glory kills, but it does have something of a plot and can be fun at times.

And yet, I don't think I fall within the target demographic; for one thing, I don't like gameplay that's difficult just for the sake of appeasing the ADD hyperactive twitch-monkeys in the audience. For another: being something of a completist, it feels as if they're trying to cram too much into what should be a simple shooter experience. What with all the bobbleheads, secret retro levels, loopy challenges (kill [number] of [monster type] with [specific weapon], for example), pointless achievements, and so on, it overwhelms to the point where you just kill monsters to meet challenges and ignore any attempts at atmospheric setting and plot. Sure, it's a room filled with corpses and smeared with unholy amounts of blood and gore, but never mind that...I have to kill five Revenants in mid-air with the super shotgun. I'm not sure why, but they challenged me to do so. They triple-dog-dared me, dammit!

Say what you will about Doom 3, aka "DarK," but at least it had a felling of...yes...doom about it. You clumped along at a snail's pace in the dark and had issues with your flashlight, but it had atmosphere. This is...

...well, okay: you're on Mars, nice landscape. Yawn. Let's get to killing monsters, shall we? But in interesting ways. I don't want to just shoot demons, I wanna rip 'em apart. The messier the better. Also, if there was a way to somehow humiliate them at the same time...I mean, let's say there's a mechanic to molest the demons while simultaneously killing them, that would be totally awesome. That's not in there yet, but give the devs time and they will eventually pander to the demon-rape aficionados. It'll give the jaded little bastards something to do besides dripping ghost pepper juice into their urethras just to feel something for once in their miserable little lives. (Hey, youngsters: THAT would be an excellent internet challenge! Go for it!)

But setting my wearied view on youth culture aside for the moment, I could honestly say I enjoyed this game. Mostly. I had issues, of course; when defeating a boss monster becomes a dance of strategy instead of dumb luck, my interest tends to wane. After all, this is the age of the Dark Souls mentality, where every single game has to be exponentially harder to beat than the last. This is the ghost-pepper-in-the-urethra metaphor all over again. Never mind. What I mean is...

...scenario:

Doom: Cyberdemon. Dodge its rockets in a large arena until you've shot it enough to kill it.

Doom 3: Cyberdemon. Dodge its rockets in a small arena until you've filled up the Soul Cube (by killing its minion Imps) and then let the Soul Cube carve it up.

DooM: Cyberdemon. Dodge its rockets and a variety of other attacks in a medium arena with ever-shifting obstacles until you damage it enough for it to trigger a cutscene. Then it will magically recharge completely and you have to do it all over again.

[By the way, there is no manual saving. Just thought I'd mention that. We're almost to the quarter-century mark of the 21st century, and they're still pulling this checkpoint crap. To quote Blazing Saddles, "I am depressed."]

And I don't even want to talk about the Spiderdemon.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that it feels and plays like a console game. It's cartoony and goofy, like Zelda Rots In Hell, or something.

Apart from the mind-numbing boss battles, waves of slavering demons, and a lassez-faire attitude to plot, I suppose you might find some enjoyment in there somewhere.

For further reading, I suggest this thread, which sums it all up nicely. (No, I'm not counting my initial post; that just summarizes the fact that I got a refund for various reasons.) Everyone who chimed in had a good point.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 12:38:13 AM by Silver Sorrow »

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
Re: Silver's Project: Play My Games
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 01:10:27 PM »
Momentary interruption of program... For Borderlands, the game was first and foremost designed for coop play with at least four people (one for each class) so yes, in single player it gets rapidly unbalanced and annoying. However, as far as playing Borderlands in single player (and only in single player) go I would suggest that funny little app.

As for DooM 2016, sorry I have no pointer here. I didn't like the game, couldn't even care searching on the web to find a way to make it more enjoyable and fun.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 03:40:49 PM »
And as far as Borderlands goes, I found Tales from the Borderlands to be a far more enjoyable experience that takes place in that universe.
Roads?  Where we're going we don't need roads.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 12:47:06 AM »
For Borderlands, the game was first and foremost designed for coop play with at least four people

I had my suspicions.  :hammerhead:  And I'll take a look at that app...

I don't have Tales from the Borderlands, but I'll take a look at that too.

Doom? Well. It could've been worse. But when compared to Doom 3: the movement speed and weapons are better, but I preferred Doom 3's atmosphere.

So I've been playing a couple of other things that I never bothered with before...I'll get to those later. Maybe I should mention a couple I've never even considered reviewing, even though I've put hundreds of hours into each of them...

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
The Elder Scrolls
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 01:58:32 AM »
The Elder Scrolls

I have Arena (#1) and Daggerfall (#2) [as well as Battlespire (#2 1/2)], but I haven't found the motivation to play 'em just yet. Maybe some day. That leaves...

#3: Morrowind.
MW is absolute crap. I hated every minute of its convoluted plot, its hugely exploratory gameplay, and its insanely extensive modding scene. I cannot begin to express how much I regret buying the GOTY version several different times, nor could I mask the shame of cobbling together my own substandard mod for it. If I had any honor, I would ritually disembowel myself in public to expiate my sins in the eyes of society. Then again, this is a society that thinks that anyone with two IQ points to rub together gives a rat's ass about hip hop stars' lives, so to hell with it.

Expansions: Bloodmoon and Tribunal.
Bitch, please. I can't be bothered to care about these wonderful things that would have brought me joy if I weren't such a miserable waste of skin.

Also...: Free Mods.
On their site, Bethesda had several free mods, such as the Adamantium Helm Of Lindsay Lohan, or whatever. They didn't charge a dime for them. Stupid bastards.

#4: Oblivion.
Even worse. From the gorgeous landscapes to the improved combat, Oblivion is a blight upon the land. The developers should have been tossed into a woodchipper for their impudence, especially for the execrably delightful Dark Brotherhood questline.

In the spirit of full disclosure...to my eternal embarrassment, I made a mod or two for Oblivion. I hang my head in shame.

Expansions...Whoops, Gotta Call 'Em "DLC" Now: Shivering Isles, Mehrunes' Razor, Knights Of The Nine, Horse Armor, Etc.
While Shivering Isles, with its massive footprint, was a complete waste of the universe's time, I heartily applaud Bethesda's obvious cash-grab philosophy behind the superlatively insipid Horse Armor and the even more beautifully useless Spell Tomes. These, plus the invaluably valueless Orrery showed that Bethesda was unafraid to [CENSORED] the fanbase in the [CENSORED] by blatantly cutting parts of the game out so as to add them back in later for a couple bucks each (thus inventing an industry standard!). Bite the pillow, bitches!

And then you had the Thieves Den, Vile Lair, Knights of the Nine, and Mehrunes' Razor, which were horrible and awful and just blech. I paid for all of them and goddammit, I should just fling myself from the highest turret for my stupidity.

And there were others. Something about a wizard's tower and a huge castle...I don't know. I was too busy gnawing at my wrists.

#5: Skyrim.
The worst of the lot. Combat, exploration, dragons...Christ, who can stand such an embarrassment of gaming riches?

I will say that Bethesda's decision to make it even dumber than Oblivion's already streamlined-from-Morrowind plot and gaming mechanics is a step in the right direction. Perhaps TES VI will feature just one of each major type of skill: Weapon, Magic, Other. Pass a speech check? Your Other skill has increased! Yay!

However, it's such a piece of crap that I absolutely have not spent 3,195 hours playing it, despite what Steam says. Lies. Damnable lies.

DLC: Dawnguard, Dragonborn, Hearthfires.
I can't believe you would be so cruel as to mention them. I hate you.

Summary:
I think I had experiences. Most likely.

But Seriously, Folks...
I still remember the first housing mod I installed for Morrowind. I don't remember the name of it (and you probably can't even find it anywhere), but it was this beautiful little house that used the Mournhold architecture. But since there wasn't fast travel in MW, I had to figure out how to make my own insta-teleport ring, as the house was on an island that was in the same general hemisphere as Seyda Neen. It was a bit of a swim/waterwalk, so to speak. (Visions of using the bobbing corpses of slaughterfish and dreugh as stepping stones to get there...) That worked, so I made one for the Japanese House mod...which was my absolutely favorite house mod. I guess I just got tired of storing all my stuff on Caius Cosades' roof, so I needed a house.

Then Bethesda went nuts and made houses available in every city in Oblivion... ::)

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 06:42:57 AM »
Then Bethesda went nuts and made houses available in every city in Oblivion... ::)

And they started to make you build them in Skyrim then switch to whole settlements in Fallout 4. Next thing you know Starfield will have you put a colony on every planet you come to.

Original "reviews" to say the least. So what I take from that is that you hate Bethesda, all of their games... and the universe as a matter of principle...

Who would have thought  :purplelaugh:

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 08:50:05 AM »
"One of the colonies needs our help..."

That's it. No more, people...take up the cry! No Space Minutemen! No Space Minutemen!

I actually liked the build-a-house-in-every-city aspect (although OB and Skyrim could've had more design choices), and Fallout 4's settlement sandboxing is the only real reason I still have it installed. But just...just stop sending me to deliver settlers from evil, Bethesda.

As for the "reviews," I may have overdosed on the sarcasm. It's kind of a reaction to the misty-eyed look the MW fan gets when someone says "Seyda Neen;" Cthulhu knows I'm one of them. At first, Indignation: "how DARE he insult the most holy and inviolate Morrowind?!" And then, Realization: "Oh. I see where he's going with this." And finally, Disgust: "This guy should be put to sleep."

Next, I might say a few words about the Fallout games, and I promise my comments will be ill-informed and asinine. :ok: