Author Topic: Bethesda doing something good?  (Read 262 times)

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
Bethesda doing something good?
« on: March 26, 2019, 08:21:09 PM »
It seems so. They announced that their upcoming titles, Rage 2 and the new Wolfenstein unlike what was planned before will be available on Steam and not only on Bethesda.net. After all the fire they came under during the past months and considering the current climate surrounding the Epic Games Store, they possibly figured that claiming exclusive (even for their own games) right now wasn't going to cut it and that it was better if they gave a little something back to the gamers to start rebuild the whole stock of goodwill they've lost other Fallout 4 and -- first and foremost -- the Fallout 76 debacle.

Also for the 25th anniversary of The Elder Scrolls franchise, they decided to give away Morrowind, however this time your free copy can only be claimed from Bethesda.net. To be frank for the 25th Anniversary of the franchise I would have preferred TES VI but considering the F76 mess it's probably better if they let it cook a lot more.

OK, let's call that good moves. Not sure that it will improve the public perception of the company that drastically (I think only their next game has the potential to do that given the right conditions) but it's a step in the right direction so I'll take it (not Morrowind though, I already have 2 digital and 1 box copies of it including Bloodmoon and Tribunal so I will pass there because one more digital copy wouldn't do me any good even a free one -- it remains a nice gesture for those who lost their box copy or never had a digital copy or never even played the game).

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Re: Bethesda doing something good?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 09:43:24 AM »
Bethesda's run out of feet to shoot, so I guess it's time to build goodwill...until the next disaster, which will be them essentially blowing their own head off.

What would be nice -- and I'm just babbling here -- is if instead of just giving away MW (which needs plenty of effort just to get it working on a modern system), they should track down those guys making total conversions of MW and OB in the current iteration of the old clunky engine and pay them to finish them. Then they could call it a remaster (or a refresh or an update or a reboot or whatever they're calling these rehashings of what's gone before) and rake in the cash, riding on a wave of fanboy gratitude.** Cripes, even I would pay a few bucks to play MW without three intensive days of installing mods and tweaking the living crap out of it. (And it would still look terrible!)

[** Exceptions would abound. "It isn't Morrowind!" they'd scream. "It hasn't crashed in five minutes and the walking animations don't look like the characters have poles jammed up their asses! I WANT A REFUND!"]

Anyway. I hope the new IP doesn't disappoint; I can live with Skyrim In Space as long as it has no multiplayer.

Who am I kidding? Of course it will have multiplayer. And microtransactions. And enough pointless DLC to make the Saints Row guys gasp in awed jealousy. Fortnite In Space! :P

And with that gloomy little post, I think I'll wander over to the Enderal icon and see how things are going there. Badly, I imagine. I mean, how many other games punish the player for healing themselves? Jeez.
Fun Fact! The cheetah can run 75 miles per hour! Faster, if on fire!