Author Topic: Unicron. Yup.  (Read 106 times)

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Unicron. Yup.
« on: August 09, 2019, 08:12:15 AM »
Oh, yes. Do I need it? No. Do I want it? Yes. Do I want to commit $575 to it? Hell no.

Transformers: War For Cybertron Unicron

And check out that transformation video. Jeebus.

Okay, I say to myself, if the reward for backing the project was, like, 5 or six Unicrons to call my own, then perhaps. But...oh, I don't know. When Jetfire, a comparitively small figure, is going for about $80, you get the general idea. (For further comparison, the even smaller non-deluxe ones -- like Hound -- are going for $20.)

[The G1 version of Jetfire (Skyfire in the cartoons) -- which was a complicated mess of rights, licenses, etc. -- went for about $40 in 1985. So adjusting for inflation, it's about the same. This was a HEAVY advance on a 10 year old's allowance. I didn't see even one damned nickel for months.]

Plus, they say they need 8,000 backers by the end of August...and they're just over the 2,300 mark? Not gonna make it. But at least we know a fully-transforming Unicron is possible.

...wait. Doing the math...Seriously? 4.6 million dollars?? Jeebus H. Krishna.

You know, if they really want to make their money back quickly, just produce the thing, then mark it as "sold out"; then, just sell them on Amazon's marketplace (posing as one of the typical scalpers) for $1,000 a pop.
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
Re: Unicron. Yup.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 10:40:26 AM »
What's more surprising to me is that Hasbro has their own version of Kickstarter.  :realconfused:
Roads?  Where we're going we don't need roads.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 08:27:51 PM »
Wait, it's a set amount? You cannot even select something a bit more financially "palatable"? Heck, I don't even want to pay that price for VR goggles  :lol:

So nice to see that the video game industry is not the only one rotten to the core these days.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 12:57:36 PM »
They need tiers. I think that for a $10 commitment, we should at least be rewarded with Unicron's head. We can then poke out the eyes and pretend that it's orbiting Cybertron.

And that's another thing: Hasbro has enough cash to build a real Unicron. Why do they need backers? Is the company refusing to funnel funds into someone's Unicron passion project? "Sure, we could sign off on it...but there's more money to be made from this Marvel crap right now. Concentrate on more useless variations on Iron Man suits instead of worrying about robots that turn into planes and shit, Jim."

[Scary, But Probably True Fact: All those kids that have gone missing across America? They were kidnapped by Big Plastic and chained to workbenches, where they are forced to spend 20 hours a day painting eyebrows on Captain America action figures.]

And for God's sake, at LEAST make the toy version out of die-cast metal...sure, it'll weigh 40 pounds and kill the cat when it falls off the stand, but at least it won't look so...cheap.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 01:08:41 PM by Silver Sorrow »
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

everything