Author Topic: The Witcher + Netflix = ?  (Read 75 times)

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
The Witcher + Netflix = ?
« on: August 23, 2019, 04:47:02 PM »
Netflix Unleashes The First Badass Trailer For The Witcher With Henry Cavill [sic]

Huh.

I'm not sure if I'll see it, as I let my Netflix sub run out a while ago. But at least it intrigues me more than Game of Thrones ever did. Bad things happening to everyone? Oh, sign me up for THAT. ::)

In somewhat related news...that is, not related at all...Ming-na Wen has signed on to be in The Mandalorian. That will be on Disney+ (which launches in November). So now I will need to sign up for Disney+, even though I'm not a big fan of Disney's business practices. Still, they own most of the fun franchises, so I might as well just go ahead and accept the Mark of the Beast before the rush.  :vampire:
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
Re: The Witcher + Netflix = ?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 07:03:53 PM »
To be frank, regarding The Witcher on Netflix, my faith is about nil. I just think that they saw a profitable license and they decided to surf the wave. That's about as far as their insight into the essence of the Witcher universe goes. I'm not even sure that the writers have read all the books. Best case scenario, they played the games... quickly.

Anyway... The Mandalorian, heh? Well, when you buy the Star Wars license, better to milk it for all you can  :lol: I don't even know how much they paid Lucas to secure the  ownership of the IP... But I'm gonna take a huge bet: I'm guessing it was not cheap.

And really, did you just say that you'll subscribe to Disney+ just because they will feature something that will star one of your favorite (Asian-typed, of course) actress?

Naughty, naughty... But hey, Hell is paved with guys that sold their soul for much less, right?

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline bobdog

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 10:45:24 AM »
Disney bought LucasFilm for $4 Billion. They've already made that back in 3 movies. I think they'll do okay.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 11:52:42 PM »
Problem is, I wish they had made that back by making *good* Star Wars movies.  :lol:

But I kid my soon-to-be New Evil Overlords. (Could someone speed us up to November so that they could just take my money, already??)

(On a side note about the "worth" of the new Star Wars movies: I finally saw Solo, and...it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, especially considering the universally negative reactions from butt-hurt neckbeards net-wide. I guess I'm just not the target demographic anymore. I tend not to analyze them too much. I'm just there for entertainment, not to witness the ongoing fulfillment of a lifelong dream. Once I got past the fact that the guy looks nothing like Harrison Ford -- this angers and confuses me, I admit -- I was able to enjoy the rest of the movie. The new Chewbacca guy, though, is a dead ringer for the first one.)

As for the Witcher, I've read that the author...god, don't make me try to spell his name...wasn't exactly a fan of the games (even saying some downright hurtful things about the medium as a whole). But I'm guessing he was a fan of the money, so he's not going to say no to further expansion of his work.

I wonder if The Mandalorian will just be Firefly with a Star Wars logo... (I'd explain that, but if the clock is correct, I apparently spent the last ten minutes stating into space as I went from picturing guys in Boba Fett armor reenacting High Noon on a dusty street on a desert planet to a side trip down Half-Life memory lane -- remember Gunman Chronicles? "It's High Noon In Deep Space" -- then wandering to the theme song from Firefly...my skull is a goopy MESS.)

And really, did you just say that you'll subscribe to Disney+ just because they will feature something that will star one of your favorite (Asian-typed, of course) actress?

But of course! And if Lucy Liu were involved, I'd buy TWO memberships. All for me, none for anyone else ever.

Naughty, naughty... But hey, Hell is paved with guys that sold their soul for much less, right?

Indeed. I've done far dumber for far less. Just this week, for example...ah, but never mind that. Let those who will have to clean out my hovel when I'm dead figure it out. :ss-cube
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.