Author Topic: Half-Life: Alyx  (Read 104 times)

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Half-Life: Alyx
« on: November 21, 2019, 04:52:45 PM »
The Official Site.

Really? Well...that's...

Half-Life: Alyx is Valve’s VR return to the Half-Life series.

...wait...did you say "VR"?

Set between the events of Half-Life and Half-Life 2, Alyx Vance and her father Eli mount an early resistance to the Combine's brutal occupation of Earth.

No, no, no...go back. You said "VR," and...

Valve’s return to the Half-Life universe that started it all was built from the ground up for virtual reality. VR was built to enable the gameplay that sits at the heart of Half-Life.

Are you outta your damn minds, Valve??

If you have VR hardware that works with a computer, then it works with SteamVR.

Not the issue, gents. It's--

If you don’t yet own any VR hardware, now's the time.

Again, not the issue. I don't WANT--

Check out the different options to choose which one is right for you.

How about an option to NOT deal with VR? Oh, waitaminit...there is one: it's called "not buying the stupid thing." Thanks Valve, but no thanks. I'm out.

Release Date March 2020

Ah, shut up.
An interview with Kim Kardashian? Who wants to see that? I'd rather see an interview with the mortician's assistant who had to piece her head back together so they could have an open-casket funeral.

Offline Doc_Brown

• Forums Keeper
  • Weaver of Tales
Re: Half-Life: Alyx
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 09:39:46 PM »
I'm going to make a petty complaint.

I've been thinking to myself, "How would I approach a Half-Life movie?"  One of the major ideas I had was to essentially combine the HEV suit and the Gravity Gun into a single item.  So in the theoretical first film, Gordon would wear a high-tech orange Gravity Glove on his off hand*, and then in the sequel he'd get a cobbled together metal one.  Since it'd leave his hands free, he'd be able to do things like fire a machine gun, eject the spent clip, gravity pull a fresh one to him without having to leave cover, then reload and carry on fighting.

And now from the Half-Life: Alyx trailer, I see they've basically given Alyx a watered down version of that idea.  So thanks, Valve, you stole my thunder.

*Expanding on the idea, I also figured a Portal film could give Chell a pair of white Portal Gloves, one that shoots blue portals and another that shoots orange.
Roads?  Where we're going we don't need roads.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 05:56:24 PM »
You know the one question that comes to my mind regarding this is...

Why VR ONLY?

And I mean, the true reason, not the obvious pack of BS that Valve issued to convince people that suddenly VR was the absolute only way to experience the true Half-Life. Let me guess... Sales figures of the HTC Vive and Valve Index are not particularly that good so you need a product to push them up and obviously, you cannot have normal non-VR coming into play.

Oh but look, Alyx is even FREE... IF you buy a Valve Index which comes at the ridiculously sweet price tag of $800 (and that's only for part of the system which also requires a PC and a dedicated station -- estimated price of the whole rig supposing that you don'tt have any or a very old PC unable to run VR; just around $2500, $1000 for the complete Valve Index and $1500 for a decent gaming PC; without the screen, keyboard and mouse, of course).

Must I truly recite the long list of games that have VR and non-VR in the same package? Games that are sold on Steam even? VR + non-VR is not a technical impossibility, it's a marketing choice.

So until you choose to include non-VR in your sweet Alyx, or to very drastically reduce the price of your VR tech products, count me out too. The less expensive VR set for PC is currently the Oculus Rift S and for $450 I already think it's too much.

One final thought: if you really want to sell more HTC Vive and Valve Index... less BS and more adequate pricing. The Vive in particular should be less than $300 by now and not the $500 you sell it for (you do realize it is older than the Rift S, right?)

Well, at least the only good thing coming out of that: I'm pretty certain that this game will never be an Epic Games Store exclusivity  :funup:
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 06:08:06 PM by Starfox »

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 09:55:31 PM »

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2019, 04:54:18 PM »
An amusing find, after computing Valve own Hardware and Software survey, one comes up with an interesting conclusion, 65% of the people using Steam don't even have the power to run Alyx, and I'm talking about the minimum requirements. And that isn't even taking into account the people who actually own a VR headset (number of whom according to the same data is, amazingly low. All brands and models put together the number comes at 1.03% of Steam users who answered the survey last month).

So in short, to play Alyx, 65% of Steam users will have to buy a whole new computer or at least a new graphic card. and 98.97% will have to buy a headset.

Either Valve think that their own data is false or they have a plan... A muhahahaha plan maybe? Who knows. Either way, they're certainly not looking at making a lot of money at first. But it's fine because we all now that they ceased to make a living as game developers a loooong time ago.

I'd like to think that they planned a non-VR version but the team Valve was very specific about that in a "absolutely not" kind of way. Apparently it wouldn't be the same experience.

At this point it's just guessing. How can anyone knows what really happens in valve brain. They do not fight Epic Games exclusivity in any kind of way... they just sit there and watch despite the fact that it's a direct an deliberate attack against them, they issue a VR only Half-Life title than less than 2% of their users will be able to play (maybe top 3 or 4 percents with Christmas). Those are kind of puzzling decisions. If their point if to puzzle people, job well done.