Author Topic: Briefs, just because I feel like it.  (Read 106 times)

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
Briefs, just because I feel like it.
« on: February 01, 2020, 04:21:25 PM »
Henry Cavill knows all about The Witcher, apparently.

That's kind of a relief that the guy who gets to play Geralt in the Netflix Witcher series is knowledgeable about the whole thing. In fact he played The Witcher 3 (twice!) __ apparently a big fan of fantasy video games too -- read all the books and somehow... that shows. I didn't see any entire episode of the first season (I'm not subscribed to Netflix and between Prime Video and OCS I have already enough to watch as it is) but I caught the combat scene that happens during the fight that earned Geralt the title of Butcher of Blaviken (often mentioned in the games) and the way he plays the scene shows that he has indeed an understanding of what Geralt felt at that particular moment. He doesn't want to kill Renfri, he wants her to abandon the fight and when he is finally forced to end her (because she was as stubborn as they come) it really saddened him. So that's a good thing... I mean, intimately knowing the character you're going to play. Fresh change compared to some other books or games based series.

Star Wars: The Fallen Order is selling like crazy and...

Electronic Arts genuinely cannot understand why (which shows to what extent EA suits really do know gaming). They seems to be really baffled by the fact that a single player story driven game with no Micro-transactions inside is doing so well. How can that be? What happened to our so sweet "game as a service" scheme? Well, next time just listen to gamers, morons, maybe you might learn something about what pleases us. Unfortunately, it seems that EA suits are taking the good news as a fluke. "Well, that's not possible, single player is supposed to be dead. It's just a statistical error. You'll see next time our brand new service full of crap will erase this aberration, surely". Meanwhile, EA stocks are down (and inevitably EA suits will conclude that its the fault of the pesky single player with NO MTX INSIDE... HOW DO YOU WANT TO MAKE SHITLOADS OF MONEY WITHOUT THEM?!)

Blizzard is dead... What's new?

With the completely fu...d up release of Warcraft 3 "Reforged" 'which managed to obtain one of the lowest user score on Metacritic ever with a current 0.5/10), people seem to finally get the hint that good old Blizzard is no more. Yes indeed it isn't but it's hardly news. Good old Blizzard ceased to exist while the ink on the sale contract of the company to Activision was still fresh. And Activision itself (which at some point was a good company) ceased to be truly Activision when finance sharks decided to take control of it. One of these day people might finally realize that "Wait, it seems that Bioware is not good old Bioware anymore; how can that be?).

Well, that's all this time.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 06:00:22 PM by Starfox »

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
Re: Briefs, just because I feel like it.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 11:13:30 AM »
I was dubious that Henry Cavill could do justice to The Witcher (aside from the visual angle), but apparently it's doing just fine. (I haven't seen it either, as my attention span of late has disintegrated alarmingly; I can't even get through a half-hour sitcom before wandering off during the first commercial break.) But I see a general trend of positivity towards the series...from the sheer amount of memes dedicated to the thing, that is.

(On a side note, I was ready to watch the Mandalorian...until the baby Yoda memes hit. I remember groaning something like "no...it's the ewoks all over again..." Maybe someday, but...well. Not even the promise of...of...whatsername. The one for whom I pledged to watch the show at all costs? Her. Not even she could make me sit through...gag...cute:throwup: )

But I like seeing when someone with star power gets involved with something beloved by fans and understands what the hell he or she is doing.

By contrast: Mark Hamill has no clue what The Witcher is, but he's campaigning pretty hard to be Vesemir. ::)

SW The Fallen Order looks interesting, but I'm kind of Star Wars-ed out by now. (Same thing with the MCU...I mean, what now? Another Black Widow vehicle? Dr. Strange? Whatever.) Still, when it gets discounted down from AAA prices to a price tag approaching sanity, I'll give it a whirl.

Everything Electronic Arts touches, they destroy. (I've given up on seeing anything worth playing from Bioware, for example.) If anything, their behavior would be a cry for help -- or, at least, a dire warning of something really bad about to happen -- if a corporation could be likened to a person. One of the neighbors [another corporation] telling reporters, "we knew it was coming, but we didn't know how bad it really was...if we'd known, maybe his [EA's] family [stable of developers] would still be alive today."

But I guess we're seeing the end of the biggies. Blizzard, Bioware, and...haven't heard anything from Bethesda in a long time, have we? Not after that Fallout 76 fiasco, anyway. Like Jimmy Carter said, I do sense a malaise... :lol:
Fun Fact! The cheetah can run 75 miles per hour! Faster, if on fire!

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
Re: Briefs, just because I feel like it.
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 03:41:12 PM »
By contrast: Mark Hamill has no clue what The Witcher is, but he's campaigning pretty hard to be Vesemir.

No kidding. He's not already fed up with the whole Jedi master thing?

The one for whom I pledged to watch the show at all costs? Her.

Can't help you there mate... The only thing I know is that she's of Asiatic origin... I mean, it's YOU so what else?  :lol:

But I guess we're seeing the end of the biggies. Blizzard, Bioware, and...haven't heard anything from Bethesda in a long time, have we?

Well, people came to call them the 3B's, now. That's how bad it got. Bethesda... we have heard of them a lot actually, but it's always because of a new exploit found in Fallout 76 so I'm not sure that counts. Two major exploits in the past month, apparently, one with a hacker that was stealing other players inventories leaving them completely naked in the field (yeah, that's a thing) and another by another hacker who played father Christmas distributing multitools (essentially a cheat tool) allowing gamers to have some fun. Oh, but have no fear, Beth assures that both exploits are fixed... until the next one that is.

Everything Electronic Arts touches, they destroy.

If only that would apply to their idiotic greediness.

Boeing takes PR cues from the video game industry

Well, I don't know to what extent you're following the space news guys... I do because it's one my interests. For those who don't know Boeing manufactures one of the three space vehicles human-rated (meaning able to bring human to spaces and back in all safety). Theirs is called Starliner (the other two being Dragon 2 by SpaceX and Orion by Lockeed-martin/Airbus)

Starliner had an unmanned test flight last December during which it should have docked with the ISS. It was prevented from doing so by a timer fault that made the thrusters misfire during the orbit insertion phase. The one week mission was cut short to 24 hours.

What no one knew until last week was that another fault in a computer program was in play that Boeing found and fixed while the vehicle was still in orbit. This other fault was much more dangerous than the first one Independant Review Team that NASA tasked with reviewing the test because while the first fault only resulted in a mission abort, the second one could have produced a "catastrophic failure" during reentry (catastrophic being the word NASA uses when talking about losing vehicle and crew). But those were NASA words... Boeing own statement (that was issued after NASA spoke -- I guess that they had it prepared just in case)  is a bit more... fuzzy.

The IRT also investigated a valve mapping software issue, which was diagnosed and fixed in flight. That error in the software would have resulted in an incorrect thruster separation and disposal burn. What would have resulted from that is unclear.

What would have resulted from that is unclear.

So apparently the Independent Review Team  who investigated the issue think "catastrophic" but well, Boeing is not so sure about that -- how bad could that have been, really? Reading those words just made me think about the standard statement usually issued by Activision, Electronic Arts and others following a botched game, a bad patch and other issues. Except that those are actual people lives we're speaking about. And when one read the description of the effects of the software fault (an elegant term to say "bug") one quickly understand that if a catastrophic result is not absolutely certain, it is a very definite possibility.

The IRT also suggested that NASA have an extended review into Boeing software control procedures -- suggesting that Boeing was not really up to the task of double-checking their own work. To what Boeing responded:

We are already working on many of the recommended fixes including re-verifying flight software code.

Oh, so I guess we're safe then... especially when Boeing assured everyone not even a couple of year ago that:

Starliner development and flight prices incorporate rigorous design, test and verification approach we proposed -- leaving no stone unturned to ensure we deliver a quality vehicle and service to our customer.

And there, does it not seem familiar with statements by video game companies?

Guess there was just a couple of stones overlooked (for the notice, Dragon 2 and Starliner will be doing the exact same job but the coast per seat is $55 million for Dragon 2 vs $90 million for Starliner and $75 million for a seat in a Soyuz -- another software fault? Nope this time the price is for real).

But I guess bullshit is the same, whatever the company issuing it.

Bioware confirms Anthem 2.0

Because that's a thing? The first one was such a success :lol: I don't think anyone even asked Bioware for a second one. Oh wait, it's not a new game, it's a redesign of the existing one... I'm at a loss for words there... But Bioware has words... a lot of them in fact, on their blog. Quick translation there because that's a lot to read:

Over the coming months we will be focusing on a longer-term redesign of the experience, specifically working to reinvent the core gameplay loop with clear goals, motivating challenges and progression with meaningful rewards – while preserving the fun of flying and fighting in a vast science-fantasy setting.

In other words: "We understand that Anthem is crap, you were vocal enough about it, so we decided to redesign it as the game we promised you in the first place. Yeah, this time we promise you'll have the gaming experience promised: isn't that great?".

Wow, just wow... Thanks Bioware but still... count me out. I mean, it's not even Mass Effect, Dragon Age or Jade Empire man (and even if it was, I'd take the announcement with several grains of salt).

Oooh here's an idea... I know, that will sound an absolutely nutty idea but... why don't you go back to things you were actually good at? You know, story-driven RPG games with excellent characters.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein