Author Topic: KOTOR 1  (Read 3300 times)

Offline bobdog

• Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
KOTOR 1
« on: January 04, 2006, 11:36:23 PM »
Have begun investing some time (finally) into Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR), and I'm really digging it. I've completed four of my Star Forge planets, and fought Darth Malak (plus learning my secret identity). Lots of fun, and I could see how you'd want to replay and see what happens as a Dark Jedi, and try to influence everyone else you're with.

The game loads extremely quickly for me, but I wish the landscape was a little more open and not so boxed in. I realize it's due to the limitations they developed for the play, but ....

So others, pipe up! What's your fav part of the game?

Offline larissa mem

Re: KOTOR 1
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 02:57:51 PM »
Hi.  I'm a newbie.  I have no idea who any of you are, or why I am here.

I played this game to death last year, and then KOTOR II, before it was removed from my custody for my own health and well-being.  (Although I could not . . . go . . . to the Dark . . . Side.  Really, I tried.)  To be honest, I spent half my time trying to seduce C-c-c-arth, so that would have to rank as my favorite part. 

SECOND favorite part.  Hm.  Just all of it, really.  I think the futuristic setting for RPGs is really a nice change from dragons and peasants and mages and such--haven't played Anachronox but it's high on my list, and I know people swear by Fallout and . . . y'know, all those other ones.  What did you find cramped about the landscape?  Didn't seem so to me, but that was before I played Morrowind.  The fields on Dantooine and on Tatooine where you go hunting were pretty cool. 

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 06:13:17 PM »
Glad to see you've dropped by!

You said the magic word: Anachronox. Bobdog's gonna be your friend forever. :lol:

Anyway, this is good timing. Maybe I should finish up KOTOR once and for all. I only got to the first city, got to the -- I don't know, the skeet-shooters in the lower city? Whatever they were...if I only had a twelve-gauge and a surfboard -- and then just stopped. I finished Neverwinter Nights (gad, what a slog), but not this one, and I want to know WHY!?? Sadly, answers are not forthcoming. Time for the chisel...
Fun Fact! The cheetah can run 75 miles per hour! Faster, if on fire!

Offline larissa mem

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 06:27:26 PM »
Well, maybe Bobdog can tell me how to patch my copy of Anachronox so it actually works.  Although I've been looking around the rest of the forums and I'm not sure I should ask for any help til I see what I'd have to promise in return . . . 

Maybe you never got past that part because it's creepy and icky down there?  With deformed freaky poisoned ex-humans who come up and whap you for no apparent reason (beyond the fact that they're freaked out from whatever disease they have?)  That was my LEAST favorite part of the game.  On the second run through, I realized I could beam myself back to base for insta-healing and get all my hit points back . . . but usually when you beam back to where you were, the poison freakazoids have respawned in droves so it does you no good.  (Especially because those monsters at LucasArts cap your level at 20!  Can you believe the nerve!)

Ohmygosh, I played that game way too much.  Moving on to a different topic. 

Offline bobdog

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 12:05:46 AM »
Welcome larissa to our little family asylum ... check your backpack on the way in. Never know what the inmates might want to "borrow" for their latest experiments.  :hammerhead:

For KOTOR I get that boxed-in feeling of being constrained along a limited path, especially when compared to the free world of Morrowind or Baldurs Gate or Fallout or Gothic (one of my top five favs and an EXCELLENT RPG). The largest landscape on Tatooine perhaps consists of maybe 20 acres max? Compared to hundreds/thousands of miles for the other games mentioned. But I understand that there had to be some guards put on to control the player. And sometimes I like that feeling of knowing exactly what I'm supposed to do, which I never really got in Morrowind.

I'm now in the command center of the Star Forge, so the ending is not too far off. I really like the game overall and have had a blast playing it. I think I'd like to go back and play a female and go the evil route, because I can see all sorts of endings on that front.

Ahhhhhh, Anachronox, one of my other top five favs. I finished it probably a year ago and am starting to get the yearnings to play it again. Yes, there is a patch or two for it, and you MUST install them to ever truly get the game to work. And even at that, you'll still have some issues arise, but you CAN make it to the ending! Try Planet Anachronox (www.planetanachronox.com) for more info, as well as a really good walk-thru to help with some of the challenging quests (there are some that you would NEVER EVER figure out on your own!!). I normally feel like I've given up to use the walk-thru, but with Anachronox, it just enhanced the experience because I found so many more things to explore. And you get multiple characters to interact with -- all with unique skillsets.

Not to mention a great storyline, and some of the funniest lines I've ever heard/read. It's a milk-out-the-noser, that's for sure. My biggest gripe was that the game ended, and there won't be a sequel..... bummer.

Let me know if you have any questions and I'll be glad to help. Definitely a game to get running.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 03:40:26 PM by bobdog »

Offline larissa mem

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 03:22:04 AM »
Cool, a forum where everyone is weird, not just me.  I like it, thank you for the welcome!  I know what you mean about KOTOR now.  Yes, it's a starter RPG . . . good for people who can't do math, or aim, or anything like that.  (All of that applies to me.  I'm used to adventure games.  Horrors.)  And yes, incredibly linear compared to Morrowind (but all us adventure gamers were like "wow, look at all these cool CHOICES!!!!  You can do things in a different order and it doesn't mess up the entire game!").  I didn't play KOTOR very many different ways, but I did play KOTOR II a couple of different ways, which was interesting . . . kind of.   ::)

I've been to planetanachronox, snagged the patches, tried to run the game in ME 98 (or whatever) . . . and still no dice.  But some day . . . some day!  I'm not very clever . . . I couldn't play Baldur's Gate 2 because I couldn't get through the tutorial (seriously.  Everyone in my party was yelling at me, the Mage was whining, I accidentally attacked the thing with the pig/familiar because I thought it was an enemy . . . chaos.)  So you are talking to someone with relatively low competence levels here.  But I do have enough IQ points to get milk to come out my nose, so if I ever got Anachronox running, I could handle that part of it.  ;)

Offline bobdog

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2006, 03:50:11 PM »
Okay, for Anachronox, start with a clean slate -- uninstall any previous Anachronox tries, remove any lingering files, etc. What is your operating system of Windows? You mentioned ME and 98, neither of which is supported for the game. Win XP is, however.

Download both patches for Builds 44 and 45. Install the game, and then Build 44 and then 45. Then tell me what you've got, and if the game even starts for you, whether you get a start-up screen, etc.

Offline larissa mem

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2006, 06:27:01 PM »
Yes, I have XP.  I have downloaded 44 and 45, installed the game, installed both patches, tried running it, deleted the game, redownloaded the patches, rinsed and repeated a couple of times . . . to no avail.  :(  I get a menu of setup options (as I recall--it's been awhile), and then I get a blank, dark letterbox with a "One moment please . . . " before a CTD.  Was just over at the planetanachronox website and saw giant swaths of information I had somehow overlooked the first zillion times I visited, so maybe there's hope for me yet.  :)  I probably won't rush to install . . . there are a few games waiting for me first (I know, I know, what could be more urgent?)--but it's good to know that there's some hope of getting this clunker on its feet.  Everyone raves about it, and I would like to be raving too.   :turnhappy:

Offline bobdog

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2006, 11:17:44 PM »
WHAT?!?!? What could possibly take priority over Anachronox?  ;) [Says the man who still has HalfLife 2 in his pending file.... Hey, at least I'm working on Doom 3 right now! I'm only 18 months behind, right?]

Don't despair -- someone on the Anach forums most probably has undergone the same situation, and they're real good about providing fixes.

Offline larissa mem

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2006, 08:27:38 PM »
In stock: BG&E and Grim Fandango (because that thread about the Best Five Games Evah reminded me I needed to play it.  Hey, where did that thread go?    :computerfix:)

To buy:  All the Thiefs.  (Thieves?)  Yes, I know, I'm not worthy, I don't deserve to be here . . .  :hammerhead:

What about anyone else . . . ?  Hey bobdog, you're only a year (or two) out of date, Grim came out in '98 . . .  ::)

everything