Author Topic: Random Crap 2020: The Gyre Of Self-Loathing  (Read 630 times)

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
Random Crap 2020: The Gyre Of Self-Loathing
« on: March 23, 2020, 01:02:08 PM »
I find it funny that the world has now seen fit to impose upon itself the very philosophy of social interaction that I have been following faithfully all these years (i.e., "stay the hell away from me you plague-spewing snot fountain"). But not until they start referring to social media as "intellectual cancer" that I will dare to believe in hope again.

By the way, if anyone is running short on toilet paper, take the advice that we've been given since time immemorial: support your local library. Experts have confirmed that just a single selection from the works of Stephen King will last a family of four about a week. And, what could be more appropriate, after wiping your ass with the pages of The Institute, than boxing up all those used pages and sending them directly to Mr. King with a thoughtful little note of thanks? ("Dear Steve...this is what I think of your stupid book. You used to be better than this, you hack. Love, a fan.")

Well. Back to being a werewolf in Skyrim.

Speaking of hairy beasts, did you ever think you'd miss the 24/7 news coverage of the Kardashians?
Fun Fact! The cheetah can run 75 miles per hour! Faster, if on fire!

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
Re: Random Crap 2020: The Gyre Of Self-Loathing
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 06:07:15 AM »
Just saw an article headline: "Ohio Orders Abortion Clinics to Halt Abortions, Save Medical Supplies during Pandemic"

Related news: there's been a run on wire hangers in Ohio.

There's a show you probably won't see on the DIY network ("...now take your pliers and untwist the wire from the neck of the hanger, and straighten the crimps..."), although it might make it to TLC ("next up after My 90lb Tumor: the world premiere of Womb Piñata").

Endless possibilities for entertainment. For example, I recently reactivated my Netflix account. Why? The Witcher. Oh, and I'm preparing to get rid of Cox -- greedy blood-suckers -- so I'm getting used to streaming services. By way of example, a couple of my uncles have really nice cord-free setups that appeal to someone (me) who's sick of paying way too much just for middlingly-fast internet and a bunch of channels that he doesn't watch. I watch perhaps three or four cable channels, and even then perhaps one or two shows each. The rest of what I usually watch is on regular TV. So I have an antenna...

Anyway, The Witcher is better than I'd hoped, so four episodes in I've already gotten my money's worth. (Then again, the first month's free, so...never mind. I'm not going to unravel that at 5 in the morning.) It's not a thing like Game of Thrones, which is my favorite feature; every time I watched GoT, I always felt vaguely sick to my stomach.

Okay, enough words. Now for pics.

I mentioned that I'm screwing around with Skyrim again...I'm in the process of preparing to convert my race mod to SE, so I'm kind of just having one last hurrah in Oldrim before I commit myself (...all I have to do is sign these papers and that pretty white straightjacket is mine, all mine!) to what could possibly be one of the more disappointing endeavors I've ever undertaken. Or it could possibly be the best. Who knows? Who cares?

Anyway. Upon reviewing how my character's evolved through appearance changes once I got a handle on her personality, I found it a bit odd that I went from this:

to this:

but it makes sense as, yes, she's...

...a white-furred werewolf with glowing green eyes. I've been using Moonlight Tales (plus other complimentary werewolf mods) for a while now, only to find out that the guy updated it extensively...and I'll probably mess up all my progress if I try to change anything...although I think it's possible, as she's not actually a Companion. No strings attached, anyway. Enh, it's something to try out when I'm tired of staring at TV.

Also, great strides have been made in hairstyles since I'd last played (April of last year), so now I have LOADS of even more indecision! (Would you just PICK one!?! PLEASE.) But my Xiudan race has never looked lovelier!

...uh...she doesn't look happy, does she?

Better, but I suspect that she isn't going to be happy with anything.

Okay, it's about 6 in the morning. I haven't even touched on the fact that I'm listening to a lot of Blue Öyster Cult and reading the Kindle version of Armando Gallo's Genesis: I Know What I Like, but some things I should probably keep to myself.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 12:02:53 PM »
Toilet paper: well let me assure you it's not only an American thing. I don't know why but seriously our "civilized" countries seem to consider toilet paper as the ultimate survival tool of humanity. What about the good old leaves people? What's wrong with that? Think our ancestors had the luxury of paper specially conceived to take care of their asses? One thing is sure, once the whole pandemic thing is over people won't buy paper for a good long while with all the stock they'll have.

Maybe I'll take Netflix free month too. That is after I finish watching Elementary, and playing stuff, and finish writing the reviews that are still in the pipe...

Better, but I suspect that she isn't going to be happy with anything.

It's the brows dude... they're evil  :lol:

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 10:44:00 AM »
I had to go to the store the other day, and while their toilet paper supply was almost normal (a good sign, considering that it's the only grocery store on my side of town), they had a CRAPton of paper towels. I mean, the sheer size of the display...it was as long and as high as an aisle. I wish I had taken a pic of it. Thing is, you can't flush paper towels.

...okay, yeah: technically, you can. You can flush anything if you have the determination. But paper towels are on the Do Not Flush list. (Right up there with the disposable wipes that are "flushable." Again: they are, but you shouldn't.)

I guess the idea is that when the toilet plugs up permanently, you can use the rest of the paper towels to soak up the apocalyptic mess that will result.

The TP hoarding is/was somewhat bewildering; I just wonder:

1) Just how long do they think they're going to be in quarantine, anyway?

2) How much defecation, exactly, will they be engaging in to justify all that toilet paper?

3) Should they pick up some aloe vera to smear on their asses because they've wiped themselves bloody and raw?

Just for fun, we should start a PSA informing people that the best way to combat Coronavirus Raw Butthole Syndrome [CRaBS] is to apply generous amounts of hand sanitizer.  :explodebouncy:

Well, I say: the Sears catalog was good enough for my ancestors, so who am I to spurn tradition? (Some of them used corn cobs, but I don't want to think about that just yet.)

I feel like I've not been panicking enough, as I have yet to rush out and buy a ton of stuff...I mean, I haven't even punched out an old lady for a 4-pack of Angel Soft yet, or trampled a child for the last can of Beanie Weenies. Well...okay, I hate Beanie Weenies. But even so...

Anyway. My cousin is taking care of my aunt, who's in her 80's; he was telling me that she asked him what they'd do if the food ran out. He told her: "Hell, you got four cats and a dog. We ain't gonna starve!"  :lol:

The only real inconvenience I face is that since there's only that one grocery store close by, I have to drive an extra five minutes to another store across the highway just to get name-brand cream cheese. It's the goddamn apocalypse, I tell you.

On the bright side, OECfiber hooked me up a couple days ago. Ran a speedtest on my PC:

The world can go to hell as long as I have these kinds of speeds. And it can take Cox with it, 'cause I'm sick of paying $265 a month just for 300mps (at best) and a bunch of channels I don't even watch. Every time I tried to talk to them about reducing my bill, they wanted me to renegotiate a two-year contract...

Next steps: buy a FireStick for my TV. Then I will cancel Cox. And I will personally return their equipment with a smile...because I will be imagining tossing that fucking Contour box right through their front window.

In other news, my Amazon.com account is on temporary hold because some ding dong got in there and started screwing around. So I somehow got hold of customer service by phone -- how I found the number, I don't know -- and got them to do something about it. So for the next couple of days they've locked it down and are monitoring the thing. They said they'd get back to me and reinstate my account eventually. I'm not holding my breath.

For safety purposes, I immediately contacted my credit card company; they canceled the card and will issue me a new one...which will take up to ten days before I get it. In the meantime, if I need to buy something (food, body armor, heavy weapons, ceramic cat figurines), I have to go to the bank and cash a check.

Amazon's "help" is kind of funny: if someone hacks your account and changes your password, then you try to get help, Amazon will require that you login to your account and...

...does anyone else see how stupidly fucked up that is? That's like needing to submit a help ticket via email when your email goes down. Guys: they changed my password so I can't get in there and contact you for help. Idiots. Like I said, I'm not sure how I managed to find an actual contact number, so I will simply enjoy my good fortune.

While I was struggling with this, I got a couple of messages from Amazon saying they were approving a refund for something I bought a couple months back...I didn't request a refund. When I told the the tech help guy (Ethan?) about this, he said that was a common thing these people did: they'd request refunds for items and have them load it onto gift cards.

Strangely, I also had someone -- possibly the same asswipe -- try to get into my ebay account. I got a message about my password being changed there, too. ebay's a little better when it comes to security, so I was able to apply their second security step after getting control back; no further problems on ebay.

Funnily enough, when I looked at what the asswipe had been searching for in my account, it was Google Play gift cards.

It's a bit stomach-churning for a mild paranoiac like myself; two different website accounts hacked by the same person (possibly) from a location in Serbia? Huh. So I changed some passwords (including my email password), and removed any card info from the few online stores I use. (For ebay, I use PayPal...so in addition to login security, there's a couple more security steps I have to go through just to make a purchase.) I don't shop in a lot of places online, so...

At any rate, Amazon's gotta step up their security game. I mean, they know where I live, so why are they allowing someone in *Serbia* to login to my account? One of the messages even said that someone located in Serbia was trying to login. Was this you? Oh, well. Whatever. We'll go ahead and grant them a temporary password.

...question, motherfuckers: is Serbia anywhere NEAR Oklahoma? Ah, who knows...the American educational system at work.

I'm looking into additional security measures. I don't exactly trust Microsoft's antivirus/security thing, so I'm thinking about getting the full version of Spybot Seek & Destroy, maybe trying out LifeLock, even. And so on.

So I've been under self quarantine for more reasons than a mere plague. If you ain't got no money, there's no reason to go anywhere, right? Okay, kidding. I'm not starving, I'm not destitute. It's just that not having a credit card limits my options somewhat. On the bright side, my fast food consumption is non-existent.

If my (self-diagnosed) PTSD wasn't bad enough already...I really don't need this crap. I'd like to wildly lash out and claim that not enough people died in the Serbo-Croatian war. :redhot:

Anyway!

Maybe I'll take Netflix free month too. That is after I finish watching Elementary, and playing stuff, and finish writing the reviews that are still in the pipe...

Elementary, eh? Seven seasons, 150+ episodes...that's a lot of TV.  :ok:

It's the brows dude... they're evil  :lol:

I have to agree. The sharply-jutting brows tend to convey something other than beneficence. Maybe softly-arcing brows would soften her mien...

In my ongoing Skyrim struggle, I've discovered that vampirism no longer works on my custom race mod. This is one reason why I never released it: I never know if it's going to work right at any given moment. I mean, vampirism USED to work, even though I had various problems when it did...but for some reason vampirism is just completely broken now. So what did I do?

Nothing. I just will not play as a vampire with these races. If I feel the need, I'll just use a...blech...vanilla race. But being a vampire in the TES games is complete crap anyway, so I'm not missing out on anything. (If I want to play a vampire, I'll load up VTMB.) It's just the principle of the thing that bugs me: it should work. But it doesn't. And that's yet another reason to give up all hope and grow turnips for a living.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 10:48:46 AM by Silver Sorrow »

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 10:37:43 AM »
Elementary, eh? Seven seasons, 150+ episodes...that's a lot of TV.  :ok:

Tell me about it. I'm only at season 3 and I don't envisage to get to 7 before next year at the very least. Good show overall with an interesting approach to the whole Holmes/Watson thing. They could use some firearm advisors though. Season 1 one can caught Sherlock explaining that a MP5 is semi-auto and that the barrel of the one he held was rifled which was unusual. Thing is or course, MP5 is not semi-auto only and all the barrels are rifled like in virtually... every SMG in existence.

So yeah, here I was asking myself how the greatest detective of all times could be that misinformed. That said it's not in every episode that you have such an obvious error punching you in the face so it's OK.

And there's Lucy Liu...  :lol: Didi you noticed that most of the time when she acts she seems to be angry at something, or someone, or both.

so I'm thinking about getting the full version of Spybot Seek & Destroy, maybe trying out LifeLock, even. And so on.

That a same guy was able to hack two of the websites you're subscribed to is concerning, yeah. That indicates the possibility of a trojan or a spybot on your system. So yeah, a full virus check is in order.

Good numbers on your fiber... I'm impressed by the upload speed. Generally ISPs tend to cut the upload speed by half because that's what cost them the most. Myself I have 1 Gbps /500 Mbps. I'd be jealous if I uploaded a lot of things which isn't the case  fortunately :purplelaugh: Too bad that the maximum speed of fiber can only be of use on rare, generally commercial sites. Steam is capable of the Gigabit (tested), possibly EA too. GOG is a bit more lazy. In my experience Gigabit is more useful for multitasking that anything else; Download a game, stream a movie at the same time, browse a website and have your companion do the same in another room.

Now for the real fun when you'll see that Steam allocating space on your hard drive before downloading a game is far slower than downloading the game itself (well that only happens for games that have a lot of loose files but still...).

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 12:27:06 PM »
The problem with a show featuring a genius is that the writers aren't actually geniuses themselves. They might have an army of technical experts on hand, but I guess these things slip through anyway.

There was something like that last year; on an episode of Last Man Standing, one of the characters lamented that, with the death of Tom Petty, Bob Dylan is all that's left of the Traveling Wilburys. This rankled me, somewhat. "Jeff Lynn is VERY MUCH ALIVE!!" I screamed at the TV.

I was going through some stuff at the time, but yeah...I do indeed know what you mean.

[On a side note, technical goof-ups remind me of CSI, where sometimes they would have an explanation or a method so batshit that it caused even the most casual of forensic-show-watching-idiots (me) sit up and ask "huh??" Man, I miss that show.]

And there's Lucy Liu...  :lol: Didi you noticed that most of the time when she acts she seems to be angry at something, or someone, or both.

What better way to show the depth of one's acting abilities than by being pissed off in every scene? :lol:  But dear god, the woman knows how to dress.  :ok:  (Most likely she has a platoon of costumers at her beck and call...still, she looks awesome. She'd be a nightmare to travel with, though...all those suitcases.)

That a same guy was able to hack two of the websites you're subscribed to is concerning, yeah. That indicates the possibility of a trojan or a spybot on your system. So yeah, a full virus check is in order.

It was pretty weird. Only the two sites, though. I ran virus checks with three different things (Norton's, which I removed...I never liked them; Windows' built-in security...which is adequate; Spybot S&D, which has never done me wrong), and they found nothing. So I wonder if it was a weird fluke that both ebay and amazon were hit at roughly the same time.

Still it has caused me to step up security a bit; I had relaxed my usual paranoia, so this has a good side to it. ::)

My fiber speeds are somewhat...well, a little embarrassing. I mean, do I *need* such speeds? Maybe not. But it's still way cheaper than Cox's services. And Netflix just screams. So that makes it all easier to take. The American Dream (motto: "CASH GRAB!") dictates that we have caps on internet speeds so as to make IPs more money. You could move to South Korea or Denmark for scary-fast, cheap internet, but...they might not have a Taco Bell nearby. To break it down:

USA
Downside: slow, expensive internet.
Upside: quick, easy access to Mexican food.

Countries With A Vested Interest In Innovative Technology
Upside: fast, cheap internet.
Downside: access to Mexican food is not guaranteed.

Now for the real fun when you'll see that Steam allocating space on your hard drive before downloading a game is far slower than downloading the game itself

Oh, yeah. I've nearly cracked my skull on the desk over THAT fun little experience. :computerfix:

Okay, now for the irrelevant crap: Skyrim again.

My quarantine project -- one must have a project in this "downtime" or face derision from one's extended family ::) -- was to fill all of the exhibits in Legacy of the Dragonborn. FYI, it's pretty much a museum-for-all-your-accumulated-crap mod. It has a persistent display setting, which lets you see all of what you've displayed across all of the characters you've associated with the mod.

Fun, right? Sort of. It doesn't let Character B access what Character A has displayed. For example: even though you got all but one of the Dragon Priest masks with Character A, Character B -- who has the last mask -- can't grab 'em off the wall and use them to get the reward mask. This, aside from the forced integration of the Moonpath to Elseweyr mod (which I didn't like at all), is my biggest complaint with this mod.

Or it WAS my biggest complaint. I found something else to be unhappy about, which is something I can honestly admit to being good at.

The thing is, with mods of this type, they tend to become bloated and feature-heavy, much like a certain Mexican food addict...but I can take a handful of Gas-X and pray for death, whereas this mod...well. There's no Gas-X for what aileth it.

The sin is that there are quests associated with the Museum, progression being based on the number of things you display. So when you place x number of items on display, you unlock the next step. These vary from relic items being awarded by the museum's caretaker (which can be either displayed or used at your discretion), to major quests that involve a lot of time and effort.

Case in point, today. Wait...I need to digress for a moment.

With this current character, I--hang on, I suddenly had a craving for a butterscotch.

--I'm back. Mmmm. Butterscotch.

Anyway, with this character I decided to do an almost-everything run for relics 'n' shit. No College of Winterhold, no Dark Brotherhood or Thieves guild; mostly Main Quest, Dawnguard, etc. Daedric quests? Yeah, those too. I'd pick up the relics from those other factions/guilds with other characters. That was the "project" part of this endeavor: to use multiple characters to fill the Museum's displays.

So this was the main character who'd do the bulk of the relic-hunting. I got fairly well along; with a MQ-delay/adjustment mod, I was able to be recognized as Dragonborn without needing to go through the whole MQ or needing to deal with that goddamn Delphine just yet.

(It's Not So Fast - Main Quest, and it makes the whole thing much more plausible; for example, the afore-mentioned goddamn Delphine doesn't swoop in and steal the horn of Jurgen Windcaller before you can get to it...no, you acquire it and then you're able to adjust how long it is before she contacts you. It also removes the idiotic civil war negotiations. So I recommend this mod without reservation.)

I was just gathering a few Shouts, thanks to Lost Words of Skyrim (which lets you acquire the Shouts that are otherwise quest- or faction-locked) when I got to the giant settlement of Blizzard Rest (north of Whiterun). Walking/running in any direction from there caused an immediate CTD.

Problem.

So I spent the rest of the evening/night/early morning going through a number of possible solutions, but...ah. Nothing worked. To sum up my conclusion: just avoid the area.

The CTD zone went from north of the Loreus (sp?) farm to...I don't know. It involved the Weynon Stones site. BUT. the place I need to be was a little bit east of there, Tumble Arch something-or-other, where the secret entrance to Korn...Korb...Whatever Barrow is. It's quest-locked to the Jagged Crown quest, and since I find the Civil War questline tedious at best, I usually avoid it. Problem is, there's a Word Wall in there...

...that's another thing: quest-locking Word Walls. What the bloody hell, Bethesda??

Anyway, the Lost Words mod lets me get in there to the Word Wall. That's where I needed to go, and I it just so happened that on my way there, I found a nice little CTD zone.

Now, as an experiment, I loaded up another character who had been to the region. This character has issues with missing mods (my modlist fluctuates with my merest whim), but it still was able to get to the Weynon Stones and walk around with no problems whatsoever. So I put it down to the game being...well...a typically bug-infested Bethesda product.

So. With all that said and done, I thought I'd simply press on, grab the relics I'd been amassing, and head to the museum. I put a bunch of stuff on display, but I forgot a couple of things. So I left the museum, went to my (custom) lair and got the stuff I forgot. I returned to the museum...only to find that I'd triggered the next stage of the damned quests.

So I have a ton of crap in my inventory needing to be displayed, but I can't do so because the quest I triggered is the one where thieves have stolen all the exhibits and I have to recover everything. Worse, I have to drag a thrice-damned follower along because god knows the Skyrim experience isn't complete unless you have a forced companion getting in the way.

I think I can finagle a way around this, but it involves an earlier save and some repetition. I think I may just order a pizza instead.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 12:02:56 AM »
Huh. Ordering that pizza netted me a code for a free 2-topping medium pizza. Gotta love Domino's. Unless you don't. And that's okay, too.

...careful...

Speak of politics and religion as you will, but beware of bringing up who you think makes the best pizza. Global annihilation.

(At this point someone will say something about pineapple. Some people just want the world to burn.)

So I figured a way around the triggered quest-thingy, nothing too strenuous. Then I progressed a bit in the Dawnguard questline, and I got to the point where I was about to enter...uh...what was that place called? Hang on.

Oh, right. The Soul Cairn.

Anyway, I was just about to embark on that part of the quest when I suddenly lost the will to go on. I mean, in a different way than my usual Slump Of Despair. Just the thought of yet again dragging Serana's snarky ass through that depressing little hellscape and THEN the mind-numbing quests that follow...

...I had to do something else. So dismissing the idea of blowing my brains out -- after all, I have a free pizza to live for -- I thought I'd engage in something far worse, in my estimation, than a messy suicide: I attempted to fix my race mod's vampirism problems.

I failed almost utterly. It was a miserable, doomed endeaver from the very beginning.

But!

I did manage to fix vampirism, which was broken in my game. I had no idea it was broken at all, really. But I fixed it. The universe owes me a medal and it shall be beautiful, or I'll kill everything.

Sadly, despite my cosmic greatness, vampirism remains broken in my race mod. So at no point will any of the Xi'an-based races be drinking deeply from the arteries of the citizens of Tamriel.

...which is perfectly okay by them. Ask one, they'll tell you.

"So I have to sorta die, then be unable to go outside during the day, and my only sustenance comes from drinking the blood of these goddamn monkeys? That's a resounding fuck off."

It doesn't make any sense for them to be vampires anyway, so I I'll just crank up their disease resistance to 100% and leave it at that. Again, it's the principle of the thing that bugs me, not the desire to play a vampire. Ultimately, I blame Bethesda.

I had intended to release the mod in the beginning, but I don't know if it'll work for anyone else. It barely works for *me*. Hopefully custom races will be easier to create in the next game...

...he said bitterly, weeping tears of blood.

I might start posting some of the readables [books] I threw together for the armory side of the mod. I didn't write that many (not like friggin' library I wrote for my Oblivion mod), but some of them are admittedly okay. I'll post one later when I'm not so tired that my eyes are crossing.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2020, 10:16:40 AM »
Okay, book one.

I wanted a fun little tableaux in my lair, so I put a torture rack in a small room and a table with various addictive substances and potions. I also had a few blood decals all over the floor, but they didn't work very well with my floors. So I removed them and said in the construction notes -- to be posted later -- that the work crew cleaned everything up. Here's a screenshot:

Anyway, the concept for the device is actually based on my dad's Inversion Table (he had severe back problems). The difference is that his device was actually a force for good. This one wasn't.

So. My comments in yellow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back-Crackr® Hyperextension System Manual

Model 1.1ab "The Destroyer"

Congratulations on your purchase of the Back-Crackr® Hyperextension System! This is your first momentous step on the road to your pain free future, so bask in the moment!

Seriously, bask. BASK, DAMMIT!

Good. That's enough basking. Stop it, I said.

Excellent. The first thing you need to know is how to protect yourself from injury when using the Back-Crackr® Hyperextension System. You will need these items:

1. Protective eyewear.

2. A trusted friend or cherished acquaintance.

3. An easy-to-remember safe word. [SEE: The Possible Safe Words Handbook]

4. Various emergency medical supplies.

5. Contact information for a clergy person aligned closely with your own beliefs concerning the afterlife, should one exist.

[The rest of the pages are missing for some unknown reason.]

I think I just ran out of things to say, so I pulled the ol' "the rest of the pages are missing" crap. And this is its companion piece:

The Possible Safe Words Handbook

A safe word is an integral part of surviving when entering into a possibly dangerous enterprise; you and your companion should agree upon a safe word so as not to confound your imperilled existence with blank looks of non-comprehension.

A good safe word should be at odds with whatever is going on around (or inside) you; it should "pop," so to speak, breaking the mood and making your companion stop whatever horrendous thing you've convinced them to perpetrate upon your person, in order to render aid.

With that in mind, here is a list of possible safe words designed to convey the message that things just got very real for you and want certain things to stop occurring while you're still able to perform acts of excretion without expensive third-party assistance (which, needless to say, is not covered by your current insurance policy).

Remember! Keep it simple!

Pickle

Unicorn

Deek-deek

Grampus

Solenoid

Weasel

Pish-posh

Schmekel

[The list goes on.]

I admit, nothing awe-inspiring...but I wasn't interested in writing anything, really. These are just offhand "accent" notes. Well. More to come later. Unfortunately.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2020, 09:37:21 PM »
For the Scribo fans.

This thing was a nightmare to format in the CK.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SCRIBO:

The Myth. The Legend. The Salad Dressing.

By

Scrofulous Bonsaint

To the neophyte who first encounters it, Scribonnaise is a vile concoction designed to bring the most refined palate to its metaphorical knees and pummel it with joyous lowbrow abandon.

And yet, despite my renowned urbanity in all matters of cuisine, I am enthralled.

It is its own preservative, there is no option whatsoever to mitigate that fact. It cannot be denied. A clump of goop that is to all appearances an inanimate condiment that forms its own protective crust is an unusual substance, to put it mildly. That it suggests a form of crude sentience on the part of the stuff is best ignored if one's sanity is to be maintained, and all the better if the consumer also puts aside, with reckless disregard for intestinal integrity, the disturbing concerns over what it may be doing to his or her insides.

To say that it approaches ambrosia is missing the point entirely; it does not sit rapturously upon the tongue, nor does it even attempt to play nice with the taste buds. Those with more sophisticated sensibilities than I have described it as "a noxious blight, perhaps even a malignant cancer, upon most, if not all, of the five senses." And that is the opinion of one of its most vocal champions!

No, Scribo is not pretty in any sense of the concept: it's either clumpy or unsettlingly smooth, depending on the ambient temperature of the room; its color is an alarming shade of white; it appears to deflect all attempts to cast shadows upon it (disturbing indeed is the substance that is contemptuous of visible light!); its odor is reminiscent of a severe urinary tract infection; handling it is best approached with the aid of ebony gauntlets; by all standard rules of civilization, it should be sought out and destroyed, or, at the very least, avoided entirely!

Yet it remains the most eagerly sought-after and jealously-guarded condiment on store shelves. Shopkeepers complain that maintaining stock is difficult at best, even more so if they themselves are privy to its strange attraction...

Why? What IS that attraction? Why do its aficionados eschew the recommended serving suggestions (smeared on bread, Dwarven cogs, et al) and eat it directly from the jar?

These were questions I intended to answer once and for all when I first held one of the coveted jars in my trembling hands. I set the container carefully upon the kitchen table. Due to its infamous preservative qualities, the lid was a mere formality of packaging. The guidelines for consumption were vague: "ENJOY!" was the only instruction I could find on the jar, an ebulliently aggressive imperative designed to distract the eye from the far more subtly-fonted dire warnings and dread disclaimers elsewhere on the label.

However, the slightly quivering mass (and could I be going mad or did I detect a faint humming emanating from it?!?) resisted my hesitant attempts to breach its glossy shield. I was confounded by a condiment. So humiliating.

Consultations with those familiar with Scribo, upon being informed that I would not be sharing my prize with them, suggested with great bitterness that I stick the jar up my butt. It was only after I bought them a jar of their very own that they grudgingly agreed to share the secret of penetrating Scribo's baleful bulwark: body heat.

By cradling the jar close to one's heart for a short time the shell will melt away, resulting in a pliable substance ready for consumption, or any home improvement project that requires durable, long-lasting materials. Those who are immune to Scribo's peculiar allure -- individuals' resistance to it follows no explicable pattern whatsoever -- praise it for its tenacity when used for mending brickwork.

First I wafted its odor into my eager nostrils. After regaining consciousness, I applied burn ointment and lamented the loss of my nose hair, not to mention most of my mustache and the vision in my left eye. Although my vision eventually returned, my moustache seems to be a permanent casualty. Now I understand the warning about bringing Scribo into contact with one's mucous membranes without adequate preparation in advance. Much like a Moth priest preparing to read an Elder Scroll, Scribo requires extensive indoctrination before even the most seemingly-innocuous encounter, lest the acolyte becomes one of the many hapless, madly-tittering Scribo wrecks in the gutters of every city across Tamriel.

So I retreated to the corner of my kitchen furthest from the jar; how stupid was I to blunder into this blindly, without taking the proper precautions!

The local blacksmith was nonplussed at my request for Argonian-skin boots reinforced with pure silver hobnails; the local priestess of Mara was likewise at a loss for words when I implored her to bless the Khajiit-fur penis sheathe I would be required to don as part of the ritual that may claim my very soul.

With the blood of a Wood Elf injected directly into my eyeballs, I was ready. I began the chant:

Ya hoo foray
Da hoo doray
Scribo, Scribo make my day
...etc.

With a throaty, ecstatic moan, I consumed the entire contents of the jar in one, sensuous "sluck" that would have been considered obscene under other circumstances. But what did I care! My entire being thrilled with the experience! I knew then that Scribo was instead a matter of spiritual enlightenment... an awakening! This is not merely an enhancement for unleavened bread, nor is it just a mundanely reliable spackle for errant nail holes in drywall, no! This is the snot of the Divines themselves, come down from Aetherius to gently sneeze the bliss of eternity's sweet ecstasy right into our mouths!

To say I was momentarily unmanned is something of an understatement.

It was time for proclaiming in a clarion voice to whatever divine entity that may be listening that yes, I EXIST, and thank you so kindly for putting my salvation in such a handy container! And while I'm at it, I'd like a crisp beverage to wash it down!

My neighbors were not sympathetic and the guards they summoned due to my shrieks of joy were not kind. Although I languished for several days in the Imperial prison, my memories of Scribo kept me sane. Even when my cellmate violated me energetically and repeatedly (and with, I must admit, great imagination), it was Scribo that whispered sweet nothings in my ear. And while Mondo Bobo was as lovingly gentle a molester as could be found amongst his particular ilk, it was Scribo that truly held my heart in its warm embrace.

I understand now the extremes of the Scribo adventure. From the shivering addicts in the city's dark corners, begging for just one drop upon their blistered tongues, to the otherwise unreachable Divines, bestowing blessings upon those leaving a jar of Scribo at their altars...

In my next volume, I will examine not only the benefits of Scribo, but also the grim consequences of neglecting its call and allowing oneself to be pulled helplessly into the spiral of madness and inevitable gruesome death of withdrawal.

Notes On The Text
-----------
- On the subject of handling Scribo: While it is best to utilize Ebony, beware to those who are wearing Daedric armor when consuming Scribo! Extensive field testing reports the bewildering possibility that Daedric items will react alarmingly when brought into contact with Scribo. Individuals wearing full suits of Daedric armor were immersed in vats of Scribo (it's best not to speculate WHY someone would even do such a thing) and 100% of the test subjects were horribly compacted to what were essentially screaming 4-inch cubes.

- Tortuous Convolvulus, the current CEO-at-large of Barffft Industries, the proud owners of Scribonnaise, is reputed to have one of these cubes on his desk as a paperweight. When asked directly about the rumors connecting Scribo, Daedric items, and the suspicious disappearance of Garrulus Vinus, the CEO of Kwamakazi Worldwide, Inc. [Barffft Industries' chief competitor in the cutthroat condiment market], he merely smiled enigmatically and had security fling the inquisitive reporter into the tasteful hedges outside Barffft's corporate headquarters.

- It is interesting to note that Barffft also markets an all-purpose industrial substance, "Stuffit!," which is to all appearances identical to Scribo; however, individuals making the claim that Scribo and Stuffit! are indeed one and the same either have mysteriously disappeared or publicly recanted their findings; while this is a frankly insidious pattern of events, who's really going to miss a few loudmouth alchemists, anyway?

- Early in the existence of Scribo, when it first began to catch on with epicurean masochists and home DIY-enthusiasts alike, an implausible sister product was introduced with the health-conscious consumer in mind; how this horrible concept made it from a misguided idea to the actual shelves is a labyrinthian tale in itself, but suffice to say that "I Can't Believe It's Not Scribo!" was a dismal failure. This led to a bit in the monologue of Emperor Uriel Septim VII's favorite jester, "Rich" Colangelo:

"And what is this stuff called 'I Can't Believe It's Not Scribo!'? Well then, what the hell is it?? You can call anything in the whole market 'I Can't Believe It's Not Scribo!' if you're stupid enough. Now you can look at the lawn furniture:

"Can't believe it's not Scribo!"

"It's lawn furniture!"

"I know! I was expecting Scribo!"

"I can't believe you're not locked up, you moron!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Many thanks to the memory of Richard Jeni, whose "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter!" joke I borrowed for this little snippet of nonsense.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2020, 11:19:12 AM »
Not much, but whatever.

This is a "defiled" copy of the book, hence the object name, "Uncommon Taste (Defiled)"; it reads normally until the very end. Thus, I kept the entire text intact. So I'll omit that text here and go straight for the punchline, which requires the last section of the original book. Here you go.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Uncommon Taste

by
The Gourmet

[Pages of text omitted.]

Behold, the Gourmet's signature dish - the Potage le Magnifique!

But wait. I know what you're wondering. "That's it? Is that all there is to it? What's the secret of the Gourmet?"

Do you really expect me to give away the secret to my most popular dish? Well guess what? I will! For that secret, my friends, is YOU! That's right, the Potage le Magnifique is delicious, and extraordinary. Using just the simple ingredients listed, you will create a potage that is both hearty and delicious. But in order to make the Potage le Magnifique truly magnificent, it takes the imagination of a truly inspired chef. Do you have that gift?

I have served bowls of the Potage le Magnifique that have caused grown men to weep with with joy. Can you guess what I added? Can you create... magic?

[scrawled in an unsteady hand across this page:]

Worship me Tamriel, for I have created...diarrhea??!?

[there are pages torn from the back of this book]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

But of course you've probably guessed that I had this book sitting by a makeshift chamber pot.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2020, 11:37:41 PM »
A few years back I picked up a pair of drum sticks again...and put them back down not long after. It seems that in the years since I quit playing, my hands have gotten worse...you know: pain, nerve damage, what have you. It makes no real sense to actively pursue eventual disintegration, so I keep my association with playing on a strictly casual basis; i.e., I might bash out the snare part to Genesis' "Watcher Of The Skies" while I wait for my food to finish microwaving.

But when I decided to play again, I had the idea that I really needed to do things right this time. Before, my aptitude was...well, let's just say that "mediocre" would have been a kind description of my technical abilities. I was an okay player, but I wasn't anything special. So I picked up a book, "Stick Control: For The Snare Drummer" by George Lawrence Stone. The idea was to learn my rudiments PROPERLY.

Yeah. Then my hands started hurting like a bastard, reminding me of why I stopped playing in the first place. Pack it in, find some other way to waste my time. Collecting seashells or plotting the death of my neighbor's dog.

Anyway, this readable was based on Mr. Stone's book.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HAND CONTROL
------------
for the TRULY DESPERATE DRUMMER

by some guy who died a long time ago under mysterious circumstances and good fucking riddance

So here you are. You've screwed around with the drum for quite a while, and you thought that you were hot snot on a silver platter...but then you ran into another drummer whose skill made you realize that you were nothing more than a cold booger on a paper plate.

This is why you're here. You need guidance. This text will teach you discipline, and more importantly, that mind-numbing precision that is the hallmark of the true obsessive, i.e., the so-called "serious musician."

You will need the following:

1. Any random surface, although a drum is preferable.

2. Hands. Your own, ideally, attached to your body in the recommended manner.

3. The dedication required to do the same thing over and over again for hours at a stretch.

That's it! Next, we'll dive right into the exercises.

Practice each of these exercises 20 times each WITHOUT STOPPING.

L: Left hand
R: Right hand

1. RLRL RLRL RLRL RLRL

2. LRLR LRLR LRLR LRLR

3. RRLL RRLL RRLL RRLL

4. LLRR LLRR LLRR LLRR

5. RLRR LRLL RLRR LRLL

6. RLLR LRRL RLLR LRRL

7. RRLR LLRL RRLR LLRL

8. RLRL LRLR RLRL LRLR

9. RRRL RRRL RRRL RRRL

10. LLLR LLLR LLLR LLLR

11. RLLL RLLL RLLL RLLL

12. LRRR LRRR LRRR LRRR

13. RRRR LLLL RRRR LLLL

14. RLRL RRLL RLRL RRLL

[You stop reading as your nose begins to bleed.]

[You flip ahead a few pages and see the following note scribbled in a shaky hand, obviously written in the throes of a dementia that only musicians can truly understand:]

I found it! I found the key! The key to everything!

R_LLRRLL
R_LLRRLL
RLLRRL
RLLRLL

yabba dabba doo to the beat boo-boo!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you must know, the last bit is a tribute to the Don Blackman song, "Yabba Dabba Doo." The "key" in question is the snare pattern played by a young Dennis Chambers. A couple of YouTube links:

Don Blackman - Yabba Dabba Doo (1982)

GoAndPractice #41: Dennis Chambers - Don Blackman "Yabba Dabba Doo" (Wherein GoAndPractice demonstrates just what was going on.)

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2020, 02:56:18 PM »
Woo, migraine hangover. Love 'em. 46 years of this shit and counting. So of course I had to stay awake to deal with various people. Typical.

Oh, hang on! I was just notified that there's a game on my Steam wishlist that's on sale. How novel. See, Steam decides that, hey, everyone's stuck at home in lockdown, why don't we NOT put on a sale? Make the homebound bastards pay full price for everything!

I'm just bitter.

Doesn't matter, because I am still screwing around with Skyrim. Actually, I just managed to port my race mod over to SE, so that's something. Problem is, the ECE mod (think Racemenu, but with slightly different sliders and better organization of categories) doesn't work so well with SE. At least, I haven't gotten it to work right. So I took the opportunity to mess with Racemenu...

This is the example character in Oldrim, using ECE:

And this is the character with similar values in SE, but using Racemenu:

I had to tweak sliders to approximate the Oldrim version, and I don't think I quite got it. (Getting the nose dialed in was a damned nightmare, btw.) Some things are different, but I think the spirit is there, anyway. She does look more pissed off than before, which is a plus. The mouth is too wide, too.

But working with the Racemenu nose sliders is a bit more...detailed. I'm still tweaking a bit, so further updates on that as events warrant. ::)

Anyway, same skin tones, etc., but under drastically different lighting conditions, not to mention the difference in games. I'm not sure I like the new one, but there's not rush on getting it done.

In other news far more important than anything you're doing lately, I had to buy an external bluray/dvd drive because, ha ha, genius that I am, the only BDR/DVD drive I have is an internal drive in my old computer...and I think it finally died. If I needed something off a BDR, I'd simply fire up the old computer. But since that's no longer an option, I'm stuck with a bunch of BDRs with no way to get at whatever's on them. Thus the external drive.

That in itself is a tale worthy of a few eddas, but simply told: tried Amazon, they wanted about a hundred bucks -- would've been cheaper, but this gold-digging whore of a state demands retailers tack on sales tax to online purchases -- and they'd deliver...well, sometime in May, or thereabouts. Whenever. Guess that slow boat from China is REALLY slow. (The drive was a company I'd never heard of, and I do believe it's made in China. So the joke works.)

Best Buy, however, said that, hey, you're pretty close, so we'll ship one to you pretty quick, how's that? $85, free shipping. Comes in today.

So if I want it to be delivered now, I need to take a nap. That's how it usually works: as soon as my head hits the pillow, the doorbell rings.

EDIT

So I finally got ECE working in SE. Yay.

Now that's what I mean. The character is the same as the first pic. ECE's meshes are just...better. And I don't mean to dump on Racemenu, as it does some things better than ECE; the tattoo/warpaint overlay feature, for example, is incredible. If you want tats on your ECE character, you have to add them directly to the skin texture itself. I think. At least, that's how I did it.

(I hear that the Racemenu guys are working to add ECE's morphs/sliders into the next version. That'd be nice to have.)

So I guess the next thing is getting my armory mod into SE. That's a LOT of stuff to convert...maybe it's time for a housecleaning, so to speak.

(Random side note: my "lair" isn't navmeshed. NPCs won't enter at all. While I like it that way, it wasn't intentional.)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 06:50:54 PM by Silver Sorrow »

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2020, 10:53:35 AM »
In ten years, when we're still waiting for TES VI, I look forward to the flurry of 16k (upscaled) retextures of the Solitude manhole covers.

...not to mention the resultant "why does my SkyrimSE stutter?" questions, answered with "because Windows666 doesn't bother with those crappy 64-bit games."

While I'm in a predicting mood, I foresee that -- in ten years -- Skyblivion and Beyond Skyrim will still be in development, Starwhatever will be more hated than Fallout 76, and Todd Howard will be in Witness Protection as a gaucho calling himself "Raoul," complete with a huge (likely fake) Pancho Villa mustache and Clint Eastwood serape. All conversation will cease as he pushes through the batwing doors of the local cantina and strides across the dusty floorboards, his spurs jingling and his boot heels all reverbed-out, to the bar where he orders an iced milk with a shot of Mountain Dew. He freezes as he feels the cold steel of a revolver press behind his ear. A bead of sweat runs down his cheek, yet his gut cramps with icy terror as a voice whispers, "The Night Mother says hello, Todd."

Never mind me, I'm just bitter.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2020, 11:58:53 AM »
Not far from the truth. TES VI is probably years away still (if they started developement and I'm not even sure they did). Maybe not 10 years, but it's frightening to think that if all goes well, man (and the first woman, apparently it's very important and PC to stress that out) will be back on the Moon before TES VI is released. After all 2024 is just four years away (although I'm not sure about that NASA calendar... after all as soon as Democrats are back in the WH you can be sure one of their first move will be to cut credits to unimportant projects like... space -- that's the only positive thing that comes to my mind about Trump, at least he gave credits to space).

And what about Starfield anyway? How much time has passed since the last real news? And what were the last real news? A trailer with no gameplay? Yeah right. So for all we know even Starfield could be dead in the water.

It's all very depressing. Or not. Do what I do... ignore Bethesda for now. Anyway they'll do what they've always done. Stay mute until they are ready to release something. Last time was Fallout 76 and we all know how that turned out. I'm guessing they are really careful about calculating their next move.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2020, 02:35:44 AM »
Y'know, a company with a more...normal...view of public relations would have tried harder than Bethesda. They're just...well, they're weird. For the past, what, 20 or so years we've been watching these guys, and it's been a long, strange ride. I'm surprised that they haven't resorted to outright hostility yet.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Q&A With Bethesda's Pete Hines!

Q: So when's Starfield coming out?

A: Fuck you.
----------------------------------------------------------------

After a while you learn to read between the lines, and that's essentially what they mean when they say "when it's done."

But yes...I've pretty much given up on them doing anything soon, so I've been focusing on other things. Walking sims, for example. I've been playing a few of those and compiling short reviews...the only problem is that they drive me nuts after a while -- short trip, yeah -- and I have to play something with lots of killing. It all balances out. Sort of.

"Yes, I'm slowly walking through this dreamy, misty forest-type place listening to some woman muse about existence while looking for odd clues that will propel the narrative forward and while I know I'm in no danger whatsoever, I just think I'd feel safer if I had a plasma rifle. That's all I'm saying. Oh, and could you let me remap my keys? No? Ugh."

Steam's been good for snapping them up so far, as they're usually reasonably priced. Unlike certain AAA games that only come down slightly in the major sale events. Doom Eternal, for example, has only ever dipped to 50% off ($29.99) and Rage 2 is 80% off right now ($11.99). Funny, but I bought the first one for $5 and still felt I overpaid for it. I have a feeling that #2 won't be as good. I'll wait until the Fall sale for both of them.

Waitaminit...Bethesda is involved with both of those... :redhot:  Get away! Devils!

after all as soon as Democrats are back in the WH you can be sure one of their first move will be to cut credits to unimportant projects like... space

True. But should the Dems take over again we'll be too busy hunting down rats for food to worry about scientific advancement, so I guess that's comforting in a way. Eyes on the rat, not the horizon.