Author Topic: Random Crap 2020: The Gyre Of Self-Loathing  (Read 1058 times)

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
Re: Random Crap 2020: The Gyre Of Self-Loathing
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2020, 10:18:46 PM »
Yeah, it's pretty sad to see that none of the bugs that were present in the original version were corrected.

I've played a bit, redid the whole House of Ballads questline and yeah.. no earth shattering news there. They managed however to increase the size limit of your "chest" (the only container you can store things in) from the original 150 to 300. Wow... question, why not eliminate the limit altogether? I mean, what was the point in the first place? To annoy the hoarders among us? Or more possibly because the game engine can't handle inventory beyond a certain limit of items? And I'm sure that if you combine all the "uniques" and sets in the game (the only things interesting to keep) you reach well over 300. If you add books (yeah some of us like to occasionally re-read stuff) I don't even know...

They also decided to adapt the UI to big displays so now we have the choice between a huge crappy UI overlay or a mini one (the mini map of which is completely useless because one can't see anything, even in 1080p). There's even a "Hidden" option. So another question.. why not a medium sized one? You know like in the "original" game (that would be the medium size).

For graphics, it seems that what has the most impact is the new "supersampling" option in the graphics options. I pushed it to 1.75 (at 2.0 the framerate began to suffer dearly) and that gives sharper textures than if you let the thing at its default "off" state.

But even with that, all in all, it's hard to justify the +29 GB size compared to the original. The SFX are maybe slightly better but otherwise, I took two screens from the exact same spot at the Garden of Ysa entrance at the same time of the day. Curiously my eyes were telling me in game that there was a difference. But once I scrutinized the "proof" on my computer as pictures, I couldn't objectively tell which was which (well I could tell because of the armor and the UI size but suppress those and I really wouldn't be able to see a difference). 29 GB more for that... a bit disappointing yeah.

Now one can only hope that the upcoming DLC will more than fully justify the price because even with our 60% discount it's still fucking expensive. So if we just get a 2 hours generic DLC on top... that definitely won't do. At a minimum we would need a DLC combining the size, complexity and playtime of both the previous DLCs.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 10:25:03 PM by Starfox »

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2020, 10:42:51 PM »
Game of the day... which is which?

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2020, 10:03:38 PM »
I would state with absolute confidence that the shot on the left is indeed from one of the games. The one on the right? Possibly.

In addition to fixing nothing, I believe they also removed the Profiles feature.

So far, this is looking like GOTY material.  ::)
Fun Fact! The cheetah can run 75 miles per hour! Faster, if on fire!

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2020, 04:58:42 PM »
What do you know. They started to fix some of the bugs from the previous version. Why did they have to wait after the release of the new version to start doing that? No clue. They're already at the third patch for the new version and if that continues like that most bugs should be fixed by patch 45  ;D

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2020, 01:07:21 PM »
The "bug tracking and reporting" thread is up to 48 pages now. Not as many as I thought there'd be by now.

I wonder if someday we'll see: "We've fixed all the bugs from the previous version! Now we'll get to work on the bugs in the new version!"

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2020, 12:50:46 PM »
I was going through my fraps folder today and was reminded of my favorite example of crappy RPGisms:

When you get to Gorhart in the beginning of the game, you can pick up a quest to find a high-level healing potion for a wounded Fae woman. The local alchemist has one for sale (or to steal), but she won't just give it to you. Now, *she* has a quest that will require a bit of combat on your part...so it would be reasonable to think that maybe, just maybe, doing her quest (and perhaps saving the region from a nasty plague borne of her stupidity) would get her to part with the potion?

Luckily, I had subtitles turned on (to capture the text in screenshots; I have trouble remembering conversations) and this is how it went:

I completed the quest; she gave me a minor health regen potion and said...

"You are a friend to this village and to me, Nanne Hanri. Take this. It is not much, but it gives you an idea of my gratitude."

Okay...so I asked her about a potion for the Fae. She got irate and said:

"Do you really think I am able to part with anything, much less one of my finest mixtures? This is a place of research. There is no charity."

I felt no qualms over stealing it from her. Sawed off little asshole.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2020, 07:17:59 AM »
"Do you really think I am able to part with anything, much less one of my finest mixtures? This is a place of research. There is no charity."

That's actually bad RPG. In a good RPG the character should remember you have done something valuable for them (it's as easy as setting a flag and checking against it in conversation) and do you good in return. Unless she is actually an asshole, which may happen :lol:

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2020, 04:18:42 PM »
It's kind of hard to tell, really...is it bad writing (everyone's a jerk for story reasons) or bad programming (everyone's a jerk because we can't tell our assholes from our elbows)?

I'm kind of stalled out on Amalur at the moment; I'm knee-deep in ME1, and I've only restarted twelve times (not exaggerating) because, goshdarnit all to heck, there's always ONE thing about FemShep's appearance that I don't like. Endlessly tweaking. Uninstalling ALOT to remove a cosmetic mod. Reinstalling. Uninstalling to reinstall the removed mod, because it looked better with it. Reinstalling.

You remember the original Tom & Jerry cartoons, when something extremely painful happened to Tom and he'd let loose with this horrendous scream? That's what it sounds like in my head all the time.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2020, 02:17:33 PM »
Well, I can imagine especially because the uninstalling/re-installing process with ALOT even though user-friendly is not particularly speedy.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2020, 12:04:36 PM »
Somewhat excruciating, yes...but I'm just glad I no longer have to deal with Texmod and juggling executables and...blech.

On a sorta-related note, I tried out the femshep consistency mod for ME1 for a bit, and yup: she looks just like the default ME3 version, right down to the N7 hoodie option.

...which is great if you're perfectly happy with the default femshep, but me? No. I kept the mod installed because it applies the hoodie regardless of what type of femshep you're using. Apparently the ME2 version breaks custom characters, so I skipped that one.

All of this kind of makes me wonder: has anyone tried to improve the models so that she doesn't look like a damn duck? It was a dark time for chargen in games -- Oblivion comes to mind -- and I guess no one considers it worth the effort, but...oh, well.

By contrast, I managed to put together an incredible-looking character for Andromeda, but the game itself...ah, never mind. The dream is dead. Moving on...

Non-game related: last week (Wednesday the 21st), my A/C unit crapped out. As it was supposed to be somewhere around 82 degrees the next day, I called my A/C guy. This time of year he's pretty swamped, and he said he'd get back to me the next week. Well, it was supposed to turn cold Friday, so I said it's not a rush job and I could wait.

Thursday it got up to 84 inside. I had at least three fans going, which did nothing to make it any cooler. (For an idea of how I react to hot weather, see Lovecraft's Cool Air.) But I persevered...rather, I wimpered piteously as I waited for it to cool off. (I really don't do well in the heat.) It didn't, not for a while; it stayed miserable all night. Until about 2am when the cold front moved in and the temp plunged. "Finally," I groused.

The day after that, it got down to 30 degrees. Freezing rain. And an ice storm. The trees and everything encased in ice for a couple of days. "Well," I reasoned, "I'd rather be shivering than sweating."

The good news is that my furnace works just fine; they won't find my frozen corpse in the spring.

...that's just a joke, of course. No one would be looking.

Anyway, I still haven't heard back from my A/C guy, and it's a little nerve-wracking: knowing this state, we could have a goddamn heat wave next week, and I just need my A/C working should it become necessary.

And then there's the issue of my dishwasher being clogged, but that's another anxiety-driven post for another day.