Author Topic: Random Crap 2020: The Gyre Of Self-Loathing  (Read 1258 times)

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
Re: Random Crap 2020: The Gyre Of Self-Loathing
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2020, 10:18:46 PM »
Yeah, it's pretty sad to see that none of the bugs that were present in the original version were corrected.

I've played a bit, redid the whole House of Ballads questline and yeah.. no earth shattering news there. They managed however to increase the size limit of your "chest" (the only container you can store things in) from the original 150 to 300. Wow... question, why not eliminate the limit altogether? I mean, what was the point in the first place? To annoy the hoarders among us? Or more possibly because the game engine can't handle inventory beyond a certain limit of items? And I'm sure that if you combine all the "uniques" and sets in the game (the only things interesting to keep) you reach well over 300. If you add books (yeah some of us like to occasionally re-read stuff) I don't even know...

They also decided to adapt the UI to big displays so now we have the choice between a huge crappy UI overlay or a mini one (the mini map of which is completely useless because one can't see anything, even in 1080p). There's even a "Hidden" option. So another question.. why not a medium sized one? You know like in the "original" game (that would be the medium size).

For graphics, it seems that what has the most impact is the new "supersampling" option in the graphics options. I pushed it to 1.75 (at 2.0 the framerate began to suffer dearly) and that gives sharper textures than if you let the thing at its default "off" state.

But even with that, all in all, it's hard to justify the +29 GB size compared to the original. The SFX are maybe slightly better but otherwise, I took two screens from the exact same spot at the Garden of Ysa entrance at the same time of the day. Curiously my eyes were telling me in game that there was a difference. But once I scrutinized the "proof" on my computer as pictures, I couldn't objectively tell which was which (well I could tell because of the armor and the UI size but suppress those and I really wouldn't be able to see a difference). 29 GB more for that... a bit disappointing yeah.

Now one can only hope that the upcoming DLC will more than fully justify the price because even with our 60% discount it's still fucking expensive. So if we just get a 2 hours generic DLC on top... that definitely won't do. At a minimum we would need a DLC combining the size, complexity and playtime of both the previous DLCs.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 10:25:03 PM by Starfox »

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2020, 10:42:51 PM »
Game of the day... which is which?

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2020, 10:03:38 PM »
I would state with absolute confidence that the shot on the left is indeed from one of the games. The one on the right? Possibly.

In addition to fixing nothing, I believe they also removed the Profiles feature.

So far, this is looking like GOTY material.  ::)
Fun Fact! The cheetah can run 75 miles per hour! Faster, if on fire!

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2020, 04:58:42 PM »
What do you know. They started to fix some of the bugs from the previous version. Why did they have to wait after the release of the new version to start doing that? No clue. They're already at the third patch for the new version and if that continues like that most bugs should be fixed by patch 45  ;D

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2020, 01:07:21 PM »
The "bug tracking and reporting" thread is up to 48 pages now. Not as many as I thought there'd be by now.

I wonder if someday we'll see: "We've fixed all the bugs from the previous version! Now we'll get to work on the bugs in the new version!"

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2020, 12:50:46 PM »
I was going through my fraps folder today and was reminded of my favorite example of crappy RPGisms:

When you get to Gorhart in the beginning of the game, you can pick up a quest to find a high-level healing potion for a wounded Fae woman. The local alchemist has one for sale (or to steal), but she won't just give it to you. Now, *she* has a quest that will require a bit of combat on your part...so it would be reasonable to think that maybe, just maybe, doing her quest (and perhaps saving the region from a nasty plague borne of her stupidity) would get her to part with the potion?

Luckily, I had subtitles turned on (to capture the text in screenshots; I have trouble remembering conversations) and this is how it went:

I completed the quest; she gave me a minor health regen potion and said...

"You are a friend to this village and to me, Nanne Hanri. Take this. It is not much, but it gives you an idea of my gratitude."

Okay...so I asked her about a potion for the Fae. She got irate and said:

"Do you really think I am able to part with anything, much less one of my finest mixtures? This is a place of research. There is no charity."

I felt no qualms over stealing it from her. Sawed off little asshole.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2020, 07:17:59 AM »
"Do you really think I am able to part with anything, much less one of my finest mixtures? This is a place of research. There is no charity."

That's actually bad RPG. In a good RPG the character should remember you have done something valuable for them (it's as easy as setting a flag and checking against it in conversation) and do you good in return. Unless she is actually an asshole, which may happen :lol:

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2020, 04:18:42 PM »
It's kind of hard to tell, really...is it bad writing (everyone's a jerk for story reasons) or bad programming (everyone's a jerk because we can't tell our assholes from our elbows)?

I'm kind of stalled out on Amalur at the moment; I'm knee-deep in ME1, and I've only restarted twelve times (not exaggerating) because, goshdarnit all to heck, there's always ONE thing about FemShep's appearance that I don't like. Endlessly tweaking. Uninstalling ALOT to remove a cosmetic mod. Reinstalling. Uninstalling to reinstall the removed mod, because it looked better with it. Reinstalling.

You remember the original Tom & Jerry cartoons, when something extremely painful happened to Tom and he'd let loose with this horrendous scream? That's what it sounds like in my head all the time.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2020, 02:17:33 PM »
Well, I can imagine especially because the uninstalling/re-installing process with ALOT even though user-friendly is not particularly speedy.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2020, 12:04:36 PM »
Somewhat excruciating, yes...but I'm just glad I no longer have to deal with Texmod and juggling executables and...blech.

On a sorta-related note, I tried out the femshep consistency mod for ME1 for a bit, and yup: she looks just like the default ME3 version, right down to the N7 hoodie option.

...which is great if you're perfectly happy with the default femshep, but me? No. I kept the mod installed because it applies the hoodie regardless of what type of femshep you're using. Apparently the ME2 version breaks custom characters, so I skipped that one.

All of this kind of makes me wonder: has anyone tried to improve the models so that she doesn't look like a damn duck? It was a dark time for chargen in games -- Oblivion comes to mind -- and I guess no one considers it worth the effort, but...oh, well.

By contrast, I managed to put together an incredible-looking character for Andromeda, but the game itself...ah, never mind. The dream is dead. Moving on...

Non-game related: last week (Wednesday the 21st), my A/C unit crapped out. As it was supposed to be somewhere around 82 degrees the next day, I called my A/C guy. This time of year he's pretty swamped, and he said he'd get back to me the next week. Well, it was supposed to turn cold Friday, so I said it's not a rush job and I could wait.

Thursday it got up to 84 inside. I had at least three fans going, which did nothing to make it any cooler. (For an idea of how I react to hot weather, see Lovecraft's Cool Air.) But I persevered...rather, I wimpered piteously as I waited for it to cool off. (I really don't do well in the heat.) It didn't, not for a while; it stayed miserable all night. Until about 2am when the cold front moved in and the temp plunged. "Finally," I groused.

The day after that, it got down to 30 degrees. Freezing rain. And an ice storm. The trees and everything encased in ice for a couple of days. "Well," I reasoned, "I'd rather be shivering than sweating."

The good news is that my furnace works just fine; they won't find my frozen corpse in the spring.

...that's just a joke, of course. No one would be looking.

Anyway, I still haven't heard back from my A/C guy, and it's a little nerve-wracking: knowing this state, we could have a goddamn heat wave next week, and I just need my A/C working should it become necessary.

And then there's the issue of my dishwasher being clogged, but that's another anxiety-driven post for another day.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2020, 01:04:48 AM »
I still don't want to talk about the dishwasher.

I've been trying a couple of other games besides The Outer Worlds and Cyberpunk 207207903 or whatever. I've put some serious time into a causal match-three game called "Jewel Match: Snowscapes" but that's because Microsoft pissed me off with their greedy money-grubbing Solitaire crap ("Don't like ads? Then give us money!") that I'd rather--

-- uh...I probably shouldn't finish that thought. You never know who's reading. ::)

Anyway, I finished the SP campaign for Star Wars Battlefront II (the 2017 game, not the 2005 game). It was fairly good. I crashed my ship a lot. I would've made a great kamikaze pilot in WWII. Despite this, I had some fun with it, even though it was, on average, a somewhat miserable endeavor. I had the flu while playing, so take that into account.

It looked quite good, though. The characters looked amazing. I didn't like the combat much, though. I was really there for the story, I guess. And that wasn't bad...probably. Since I didn't like (understatement) the new trilogy (7, 8, 9), I don't really care if they're trying to bridge the gap between 6 and 7.

Gameplay is...varied. There's a mix of ground combat and ship combat, and I wasn't really comfortable with either one...again, that may have been the flu coloring my experience. You play as different characters from the franchise in single missions (one with Luke, one with Han, one with Leia...you get the idea), but mostly you play as Iden Versio, the unfortunately-named main character of the entire ordeal. Her appearance, by the way, is modeled on her real-life voice actress, whose name escapes me at the moment. The information's out there. Feel free to look it up yourself.

On a side note, the end credits -- which are an entirely voluntary experience, thankfully -- take about fifteen minutes. Perhaps more. Because that's where I noped out. I had better things to do...actually, I didn't. I had NOTHING better to do, but I knew I didn't want to watch EA's attempt to thank every single person even tangentially connected to the gaming industry in general.

You know in the credits of some movies, where they pat themselves on the back by proclaiming that the production employed X number of people? That's just peanuts to EA. "3,000 people? Hell, son...our last game, we employed Canada!"

I think they could save time by providing population data for each localization instead of listing each name separately.

Well, anyway.

So I guess it was worth the sale price of $11. I didn't care about achievements or milestones or whatever; unlocking each and every single outfit available for Princess Leia didn't appeal to me either (oddly enough), so I'm done with it. Uninstalled.

Before I move on, I'd like to make a small plea: can we, as a species, simply agree to disregard the most recent Star Wars trilogy? Just ignore it? Just pretend that Rey and Kylo Ren just never happened. It's easy if you try.

[Part of my disapprobation came from the fact that Han Solo was my mother's favorite character (also, Harrison Ford was one of her favorite actors). When they killed him off in #7, she was quite upset. And for that, I say everything to do with 7 - 9 can just fuck off.]

Moving on.

I picked up Doom Eternal for...$20? I don't recall. I played through the first map...and then most of the second. Then I uninstalled it and asked for a refund. Surprisingly, they granted the refund even though they said I played 3.5 hours; their policy is that they don't usually grant refunds if you've had the game for over 14 days or played for more than 2 hours.

I guess they took pity on me...but from what I've seen on reddit and such places, people just don't seem to like it very much, despite the "overwhelmingly positive" reviews on Steam. Maybe the folks at Steam are aware of how much of a piece of dog shit this game really is and are giving out refunds to anyone who asks.

I wonder how much Zenimax/Bethesda paid for such positive press?

What really concerns me is how I managed to rack up 3.5 hours in the game. I don't remember spending that much time playing it...I do know I spent a good chunk of my life -- time I'll never get back -- trying to get those damned jumping puzzles right. "Aieee!" [splat] [try again] [repeat 9 billion times]

That's what finally sent me over the edge. It wasn't the stupid gameplay (and it is stupid), but the acrobatics required to progress. Just die already, id.

Other endeavors include Gibbous: A Cthulhu Adventure. It's kinda Day of the Tentacle-y / Monkey Island-y in nature, but set in modern times with a Lovecraftian theme? I don't know. It's somewhat amusing, at least. I like the cat character, but the guy who owns the cat (can't remember his name) is sort of bland. I guess that's what bothers me...I'm not very far into it, but it seems just that: sort of bland, in general. Can't quite capture that Ron Gilbert magic, I guess. But I'll give it a chance.

I grow weary and my fingers hurt. It is time to stop typing.

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2020, 11:21:44 AM »
Oh, the wonders I've seen since my last post! I--

--hang on, first a question: is the Vault broken? Because when I click on the link above, I get this:

Fatal error: require_once(): Failed opening required '../../forums/Settings.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/php55/pear') in /home/customer/www/forums.starfoxweb.com/public_html/vault/bridge/smf20.inc.php on line 47

I don't post pics that much anymore, so this is kind of new to me. If it helps, I'm using Firefox with uBlock Origin (which actually isn't blocking anything here...hooray!).

So anyway, I've pretty much spent the entire month recovering from the flu -- it's like a child's dream of Christmas -- and in that time, I've come to the conclusion that I don't have enough Transformers.

The Bright Side: we are living in a golden age of cheaply-made plastic toys that can be turned from robot to vehicle/weapon/whatever.

The Downside: I have no intention of starving or freezing to death.

My Conclusion: I must keep my collecting to a somewhat reasonable level while still being able to afford food and utility payments.

So the moral dilemma is usually: do I NEED the Masterpiece version of Arcee (which will end up costing me around $170), when I already have six different versions of her already?

Oh, yes. Indeed I do. Without question.

...so I guess it isn't really a moral dilemma. But it isn't really a problem (said the addict)...the thing is that I only collect what I like; I'm not compelled to collect everything. This means a small, yet focused collection. Arcees. The Cybertronian-styled Seekers (that is: the triangular planes). Female bots (the original series/product line was a total sausage-fest). The REALLY cool things. But even so, I am not paying $500+ for a working Unicron.

(That's not to say that I don't want it. I just can't justify it. But give me some time, maybe I'll come up with a reason.)

And then there's my non-Transformers collection...but let's not dwell on that right now. I will say this, though: my Barbie Darth Vader is AWESOME.

Anyway!

Gaming's not been so good lately. Playing DooM [2016] again, thought I'd try for all the secrets. Losing interest, though; I've never been a huge fan of ambush combat (walk into room, survive massacre, repeat), but it's better than the stupid defend the base scenarios that made up most of SW Battlefront 2.

I think I finally put together a great face for Cyberpunk, so I look forward to not playing that very much. I just don't like the setting, really. Nor the subject. I've always found the whole cyberpunk genre to be as boring as shit.

Still wondering about The Outer Worlds. I finally got off the first planet, but I don't know.

Oh, here's a vital question before I go: even though you may have every album from Gentle Giant's back catalog, can you honestly call yourself a TRUE fan if you cannot identify every song within two notes of hearing the intro?

Same thing for Yes. Or any band, really. I'm something of a brain-damaged obsessive a completionist when it comes to my favorites, so it bothers me somewhat that I haven't memorized every single thing they've recorded.

When they release remastered versions of those albums with bonus tracks, it tends to confuse and annoy me, obviously.

I also think I'm a little dehydrated. It's probably not related, but you never know.

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2020, 06:34:54 PM »
--hang on, first a question: is the Vault broken? Because when I click on the link above, I get this:

Should be functional again. What happened is that recently our host decided to replace the site manager cPanel (which was perfectly working) with a new abomination simply called "Site Tools" (how imaginative) and the damn thing changed most of the relative paths needed by PHP to access files on the server resulting in the PHP equivalent of 404, because the way the Vault is working it needs to access the forum settings file and of course couldn't locate it.

Long story short I just hacked part of the vault bridging file to indicate where the smf file is actually located. I should have done it with more elegance but right now is not the time for me to fiddle with that kind of crap due to people who think that the old that was working well was not broken enough. Their infamous "Site Tools" also broke the email connections, the ftp connections... all things I was forced to reactivate. You gotta love it when a host simplify the life of their clients. It's not so much that they changed things, it's that they found comical to let webmasters discover what was not working and fix it themselves.

Amusing part is that it's the second time in as many months that I fix the damn vault, the first one was because of a forum update that killed the login process (you could access the vault but not log in so you couldn't upload anything).

Well, and now I'm off to bed because rectifying PHP crap is not as funny as I thought it was when I was younger  :flamethrower:

PS: oh, and the "site tools" have apparently deleted every previously existing FTP accounts (not the content just the credentials) so if you need access to your directory you'll have to PM me so I recreate an account for you.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 06:40:57 PM by Starfox »

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2020, 11:51:02 AM »
So it wasn't my fault this time! WOO-HOO!

Yes, it's all about me. Always has been. ;D

Anyway, thank you kindly. Now to post hundreds of pics of morbidly obese women in their underwear!

Wait...why are my lights flickering? Something's...you're doing this, aren't you? You're--okay, now my desk lamp has burst into flames. That's not funny! That lamp was just like a lamp to me! What--no, not my desk fan aaaaahhggggg