Author Topic: So... I'm back...  (Read 89 times)

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
So... I'm back...
« on: July 02, 2020, 12:16:24 AM »
As most of you noticed I've been quite out of touch (and out of the loop) these past 3 months or so. I manage to publish a review of Metro Exodus a while back but achieved little else. The fact is that I was forced like most people to adjust my agenda according to the new norm in several areas and in turn that meant that I had less time to devote to hobbies. I played few games during this period and they were mostly games I already played because I didn't want to invest my time in a new game that I wouldn't have been able to fully appreciate. Plus I developed a "blank page" syndrome more commonly known as "writer's block" so I didn't touch any review I had in the pipe. A miracle I finished the one for Exodus, really.

Well, for the time being the situation kind of normalized a bit so I relax a bit more and have some fun. That doesn't mean the situation is back to normal because it isn't (nothing I teach you there, as we're all in a same boat inventing new rules as we go along).

So I need to catch up with the current state of the video gaming scene. If it's still anything like last time I checked, that will be fun :throwup:

I hope everyone was able to keep safe.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
Re: So... I'm back...
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 01:29:48 AM »
Oh, perfectly understandable; in my case, it's a combination of cognitive burnout and THWIS ["To Hell With It!" Syndrome]. Although...I was hermit before the Chinese Death Sniffles hit, so nothing's really changed all that much for me. To misquote a dead Beatle, I'm just watching the crazy go round and round.

Speaking of which...

Fun Fact! The ding-dong who tied herself to the flagpole at the Trump rally in Tulsa? She's on the city council of my home town. She's running for Senate...representing my district. I gotta get out of this goddamn town.

Further Fun! The ding-dong's neighbor was sexually assaulted; ding-dong insisted that it was really aimed at her.

GET. ME. OUT. OF. HERE.

Anyway, I've yet to decide what to buy with my stimulus check; save up for a pure gaming rig? Or a nice kitchen table? Perhaps an assault rifle? Decisions, decisions.

(Btw, has anyone noticed just how expensive dining room tables are? Jesus Christ.)

ANYWAY, as for games...I don't know. I can't get interested in anything, really (a side effect of THWIS), but I have managed to get Skyrim SE in a workable state. Took me quite a while...installed a couple hundred mods, converted my own mods, etc. And now that I have it almost exactly where I want it...I am so friggety-fraggin' sick of Skyrim that I want to scream.

So I escaped this Guilty White Liberal cesspit left town for several days to visit family. This gave me the distance I needed to come to a decision: what I really need to do is lower my standards drastically. Not to the point where I would play a Sims game, but close. I could also take this opportunity to learn a valuable skill, such as figuring out how to play an FPS with a controller...you know, without throwing up all over myself. (Still not very good at it. :throwup: )

The world is my oyster!

...but I hate shellfish.
Fun Fact! The cheetah can run 75 miles per hour! Faster, if on fire!

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 10:39:37 AM »
Fun Fact! The ding-dong who tied herself to the flagpole at the Trump rally in Tulsa? She's on the city council of my home town. She's running for Senate...representing my district. I gotta get out of this goddamn town.

Further Fun! The ding-dong's neighbor was sexually assaulted; ding-dong insisted that it was really aimed at her.

GET. ME. OUT. OF. HERE.

As a French, I make a point to not involve myself in the internal politics of other countries, even if I have my own opinions. That's the main reason why I never talked that much about... Let's call him: Mr T. (although it's pretty much an insult to the original Mr T. so I apologize). The thing is Mr T. is not only content to do his thing in the US he also completely wrecked the world scene and there, as a citizen of the world, I'm totally entitled to say something... mainly: shut the Hell up and stop twitting! Oh God; yes, stop twitting! I can't even understand why no one has locked all the computers and smartphones away from him.

And he doesn't even seem to realize that outside of the US he is a real running joke. The few that love him are all dictators and the others just try to ignore him because anyway there's no way to work with the guy so why even try? Putin is laughing because the only ones remaining to try and keep him under control are Europeans so yeah... good laugh there. China... let's not even talk about it...

I'm trying to decide where will be the next war... North Korea? Amazingly enough it is pretty low on my list. China Sea? That's a more credible prospect. Venezuela? There are not a lot of people talking about it but it's a real possibility. Arctic circle? Considering that Putin has reactivated most of the cold war era Soviet bases there and the amount of natural resources in the area I'd say that something's definitely brewing.

Anyway I'll stop there, I don't want to blow a vein. Just know that I feel for you man.

And this is the only time I'll broach the political topic there because you know what they say "Politic is only good for you if you are the one making money out of it".

Games... Well, I have one new game running that I'm not especially interested in but whatever. It will be a topic for a next review. I'm compiling the review for the second story DLC of Metro Exodus and I'm replaying VTMB with a review coming for it too in which I'll try to explain why VTMB managed to be an excellent and horrible game at the same time. I mean I still love VTMB but it's still a technical catastrophe and as the years pass it doesn't get any better in that respect. I guess I'm trying to exorcise the demons hoping that the same mess won't be a part of VTMB2.

Skyrim, I wouldn't mind going for a new round of that actually but it has been almost over a year since I touched this game the last time, so I don't have the "I'm sick of it" effect.

to play an FPS with a controller...

Depends on which controller you're using...

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 10:27:53 PM »
One of my older cousins -- 70 or so -- told me that even though he's okay with Trump in general, he wished that the guy would just keep his damn mouth shut. "And stay off Twitter, by God!" Just reminds me of that scientist in Mass Effect: "if you're going to be crazy, be the quiet kind!" (or something like that.)

I find all forms of politics loathsome, so of course it follows that we're living in possibly the most politically charged age since...well, opinions vary. Regardless, I find it's best not to talk about anything anymore.  :lol:

Another Fun Fact! The ding-dong (and the equally-dingy mayor) are excited about their proposal to fine people $500 for showing up in public without a mask. Good luck enforcing that fine, since they're defunding the Police. Idiots.

On a side note: my mother would shit a brick if she knew I was going to be walking into a bank wearing a mask.

The next war? Hmmm...since Iran is gearing up to blow Israel off the map, and the Russians up to their usual stupid underhanded up-to-no-goodery...but I don't know. The Iranians are more likely to blow themselves up before anyone else. Accidentally, I mean; I'm sure they'd rather blow up Jews than themselves, but they just can't seem to make it work.  :hammerhead:  So much better for the Israelis.

But yeah...I'd keep an eye on Russia, definitely.

Anyway I'll stop there, I don't want to blow a vein. Just know that I feel for you man.

Appreciated. You remember "The Adventures of Baron Munchausen," when Robin Williams' King of the Moon was about to crash and he was screaming "MAYDAY! MAYDAY!" That kind of sums up the USA right now.  :lol:  Ah, well. Like a certain bail bondsman in Santa Monica said, we're "in a good position to watch it all just slide right down the tubes."

I might dip back into VTMB when I've finished the Legacy mod in Skyrim. (Or I might wander back to Cyrodiil. Maybe even to Vvardenfel. Who says I can't do all three?) VTMB...well. The Unofficial Patch is still ongoing, but even wesp admits that he's coming to the end of what's possible. (So I've read somewhere.) Personally, I'm sick of dealing with how damnably limited the character customization is (although I'm thankful that we got as much as we did, considering), so I hope VTMB2's chargen is more...well, MORE.

One thing that would have improved VTMB: difficulty settings.

Depends on which controller you're using...

True. I'm using a Logitech F310 (someone else's pic). I'm not used to it. I just need to use it more, to get it into muscle memory. But I might be fooling myself again. Who knows.

I had better luck with SW Fallen Order when I switched to mouse+keyboard, especially since the game isn't really all that friendly to my controller. Remapping the keyboard controls was a minor nightmare, but I've gotten a little further along than I would have, had I kept to the controller.

(Side note: the characters in that game sure are goofy-looking, aren't they?)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 10:32:48 PM by Silver Sorrow »

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 10:10:52 AM »
To be frank, there would be a lot of things to improve in VTMB. The physics for example (ever got stuck on a piece of broken vase or a wooden plank?). The sound (get us a goddamn way to control music volume adequately). NPCs size (how come that I can get stuck with a NPC in an alley large enough for two persons side by side? Same for doors)... The player movement (which is all inherited from Half-Life 2) is to be completely reworked (it's not Half-life goddamn it, it's a RPG in first person). Unfortunately all those things cannot be fixed by the Unofficial Patch because it would require to decompile the executable and most of the dlls and rewrite part of them which is, of course, illegal.

But that's the kind of thing I don't want to see in VTMB 2 (luckily we probably won't because the engine is not even the same).

With all the technical flaws it's a wonder I'm still in love with this game.

Difficulty settings... that depends actually... I'm all for difficulty settings in general but in some cases (one in particular I have fully tested) I have seen that they can make no sense. Vampyr is like that. The game difficulty depends on what your actions and decisions are in the game so there was no difficulty settings on game release. But then after complaints  Dontnod introduced two other difficulty settings (that I have tested both) easy and hard the original difficulty being the "Normal" one. Both options bored me to hell because they removed the players ability to adjust the difficulty of the game by their actions and decisions, suppressing a large part of the consequences of playing the game.

In the case of VTMB well yeah, I don't think difficulty settings would be detrimental because the only real consequences of doing idiotic things is generally "game over" (too many Masquerade Violations -- which can be avoided easily by not playing like a Sabbat doorknob).

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 12:29:25 AM »
Getting stuck on debris was, for me, the true test of whether or not a game was using the Source engine... :lol:

If the devs were given more time and were better-funded, the game probably wouldn't have been the technical nightmare that resulted. Probably.

I'll have more later...been a bit distracted lately. :hammerhead:

everything