Author Topic: So now it's a Mass Effect trilogy remaster?  (Read 267 times)

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Totally Awesome Member - Won A Cookie!
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
So now it's a Mass Effect trilogy remaster?
« on: September 28, 2020, 03:46:05 AM »
Yeah, I guess we should have seen that one coming. in that day and age when everything is subject to remastering (except the games that would really need it -- what about Thief TDP and Metal Age, System Shock 2... etc).

but hold on your horses EA. Because as fans, we already know everything about remastering. There are enough users mods out there to graphically bring the trilogy to really neat standard already. There's even a full installer to guide the adventurous users through the process (here, here and here). So if your plan is just to take those mods and officially package them into a commercially viable offer, think again.

However hints suggest that it might be more than that as the whole project was delayed until 2021 because EA found it difficult to bring ME1 up to the same level as ME2 and ME3 (although they're basically based on the same engine in all cases, but it's true that ME2 and ME3 have more in common technically speaking than ME1 and ME2 have.

My three Mass Effect installs are already upgraded with ALOT so I'm not particularly waiting for a remastering that may or may not bring better graphics (than my already upgraded installs). This said though it could be a nice way for the newcomers to experience the whole of this fantastic trilogy... up to the bitter end that is.

Hey, here's an idea EA and Bioware. You really want this Mass Effect Legendary Edition to sell like hot cakes? Why not re-write the ending... I mean, entirely, like if it never existed in the first place (which it shouldn't have). Because otherwise, it's still 150 hours worth of gameplay ending in a big huge flop.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 11:09:30 PM by Starfox »

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
Re: So now it's a Mass Effect trilogy remaster?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 01:50:31 PM »
It's been a while since I've played ME3 and I've since blocked out most of the ordeal (time + memory problems = a fresh experience every single time), but it seems that if they just officially integrate the Happy Ending mod in ME3, that might mitigate the ending problems somewhat...

But a remaster? Enh...aside from fixing a few minor issues with ME1 and modern systems, it would have to be a a graphical overhaul that absolutely blows ALOT out of the water. That isn't going to happen.

Yesterday, I took some time out of my busy schedule -- only 20 hours of sleep? no wonder I'm so tired today -- and reinstalled ME1 plus mods. All it required was patience, and I'm proud to say that I bit through my lip only twice.

With MEUITM, ALOT, ALOV (1080p videos!) and ultra-widescreen options (for those with more desktop space than common sense), the game looks fantastic. However...if they decide to improve the chargen options -- which they most likely will not even consider in the slightest -- then it might be worthwhile. But probably not.

Side note: Origin is still the best option, since you can't get the DLCs in Steam.
It is the scent of garlic that lingers on my chocolate fingers

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2020, 10:40:18 AM »
Announced today...since it's N7 day ::)...it's:

Mass Effect Legendary Edition.

Yeah.

A few quotes:

For many months now, our team at BioWare has been hard at work updating the textures, shaders, models, effects and technical features of three enormous games.

"...and hopefully everything won't look like plastic failure! Fingers crossed!"

Our goal was not to remake or reimagine the original games, but to modernize the experience so that fans and new players can experience the original work in its best possible form.

Okay, yeah...femshep now pretty, great. But will they make the GAMEPLAY consistent across the series? Just the differences in controls, movement, interface, and weapons between ME1 and ME2 are quite jarring. How will they remedy that?

It's been amazing to see the adventures of Commander Shepard take on new life in super-sharp resolution, faster framerates, and beautiful visual enhancements.

I get it. It's pretty. Well done. But about that consis--

Mass Effect Legendary Edition will include single-player base content and DLC from Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2, and Mass Effect 3, plus promo weapons, armors, and packs - all remastered and optimized for 4k Ultra HD.

--ah. So you're saying it's pretty. I see. Why didn't you mention that before?

It will be available in Spring 2021

Oh. Okay. We'll see.

Meanwhile here at BioWare, a veteran team has been hard at work envisioning the next chapter of the Mass Effect universe.

Uh, oh...

We are in early stages on the project and can't say any more just yet, but we’re looking forward to sharing our vision for where we'll be going next.

I'm unsure how to feel about that. Should I be happy or suicidal? Or both?

I just wonder if this is going to be another entry in the Snowflake Chronicles. So let's all join the Pride parade, a-wavin' our rainbow flags...

While I'm here, I'd like to make a few requests:

- Could we have a Miranda-as-a-blonde option? Or better yet: turn Miranda into a small box that goes "ping"?

- Jack's head on a stick? Please?

- Kasumi: freaky-deaky romance option?

Offline Starfox

• Master Keeper
  • Did anybody see my lenses?
    • The Foxhole
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 09:49:51 AM »
Regarding consistency, they should get rid of the infinite ammo from ME1... or extend it to all games.

Myself I can't wait to see Miranda's "features" in full blown up 4K ultra sharp resolution... Like if she wasn't already obvious enough in ME2 and her many "backside" (and frontside) shots.

I'm unsure how to feel about that. Should I be happy or suicidal? Or both?

Am I allowed to take a joker here? Like... can I ignore that this thing is really a thing and just pretend the whole thing doesn't exist? Sadly I have solid memories of Mass Effect Andromeda... I'm not really keen to see the new Bioware at work... again.

But hey, they're in pre-production phase (most commonly known as "let's throw ideas at the wall and see what sticks"). So it's not too late for Electronic Arts to cancel the project. I suspect anyway that the announcement has a lot to do with inciting players who don't know the series to fork the bucks for the Legendary Edition because "hey, there's a new game in the pipe... it's time to play catch up).

As for the Legendary Edition price, as I own all three games on Origin, I expect EA generosity to reflect that... (who am I kidding?). Then again, I don't own a 4K screen so the whole 4K selling argument is completely lost on me.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world. -- A. Einstein

Offline Silver Sorrow

• Forums Keeper
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 08:24:25 PM »
Oh, look...actual details on the Legendary edition: These big changes are coming to Mass Effect in new trilogy remaster

Combat & Quality Of Life:
Shepard can sprint outside of combat
Melee is now tied to a button press
Massive weapon tuning to reduce reticle bloom, ADS, sway completely removed from sniper rifles, boosted aim assist
Ammo mods can drop even at higher levels/can be bought from merchants
Every weapon can now be used by any class without penalties
Weapon overheating reduced
Can now control squadmates independently in ME1 like you can in ME2 and ME3
Easier boss fights
Tweaked cover system
XP has been scaled to player level, removes need to beat game a second time
Increased ammo drops in ME2
Improved medi-gel efficacy--cooldown reduced
Items can be tagged as junk and converted into medi-gel or sold in bulk
Rebalanced abilities
Boosted weapon powers
Saves can be managed independently of each game
FemShep from ME3 is new default female option in all 3 games
Original ME1 FemShep is still available via preset option
New trophies, some carry across entire trilogy
Hundreds of bug fixes
New customization options like skin tones and hairstyles
New character code system saves your current custom character preset, allows you to import into new games

Mako:
New physics adjustments make it slide around less
Improved camera controls
Improved shield recharge rate
Thrusters!
No XP penalty
Lava is now damage over time, doesn't instantly lead to game over

Take these as you will, I guess. I heard they fixed Andromeda by just deleting it. Worst bug ever.  ;D

everything